MoneySaving Poll: Should the UK leave the EU?

Options
Poll started 20 October 2014

Should the UK leave the European Union?

UKIP is shaking up the British political status quo – with its biggest policy being that the UK should leave the European Union. If you were given a stark choice on this, phrased similarly to the Scottish referendum, how would you vote?

Please choose one option.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    MSE_Sam_M wrote: »
    If you were given a stark choice on this, phrased similarly to the Scottish referendum, how would you vote?

I wasn't aware that the Scottish referendum asked voters what part of the UK they were from, and whether they were male or female ... :whistle:
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Mandelbrot wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that the Scottish referendum asked voters what part of the UK they were from, and whether they were male or female ... :whistle:

Ah yes, but they'll get a much better price for the data this way.

In all seriousness, I didn't vote in this one - because it's just too complex an issue to simply say yes/no.

I *want* us to stay in the EU - but we *need* to change our relationship with it - ensure it's balanced. Without change? Yes, we will have to leave to do what is right for the country.
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    aldredd wrote: »
    Ah yes, but they'll get a much better price for the data this way.

That's pretty close to my first draft ... ;)
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Should there not be a 'because ...' part to the question? Reasoning seems far more important than a straight yes or no.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The obsession that little Englanders have with the EU is just bizarre.

Should England vote to leave and Scotland doesn't then it's likely England will leave on it's own... ;)
  • Bombus
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »

Should England vote to leave and Scotland doesn't then it's likely England will leave on it's own... ;)

Well, I'm from England, but as far as the stereotype that I drape myself in a St George's flag is just nonsense. My nationality is and has always been British.

Nevertheless, I fully advocate leaving the EU. As we now know, the EU is embarking on a bonfire of environmental regulations. This was one of the positive things the EU had that the UK didn't. It protected pristine wilderness for conservation. Now that the new president, Juncker, is pressing ahead with his growth at all costs strategy (as we are in the UK), I want nothing more to do with it. I can kick out Cameron and his cronies, but I can't do anything about the EU and the direction it takes. Some of the policies of the EU are just scandalous and it is a disgrace that there has been no attempt to reform them at all. The CAP, which has been a massive cash cow, has been devastating to wildlife and biodiversity in the UK and across the entire continent. It is the EU that is responsible for this drive of agricultural intensification. Just pouring on fertilisers and pesticides- killing everything in the field for productivity at all costs. Get us out of this nightmare institution. I'll happily fight for the interests of the environment in the UK instead with the Green Party.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Would be interesting if the England vote was split up to show the difference between the south east and the rest of England.
    I feel as a Yorkshire lass I have more in common with the Scottish and Welsh than with Londoners.
    Zebras rock
  • General_query
    Options
    How does a hermaphrodite vote?

:A
  • Bombus
    Options
    kathrynha wrote: »
    Would be interesting if the England vote was split up to show the difference between the south east and the rest of England.
    I feel as a Yorkshire lass I have more in common with the Scottish and Welsh than with Londoners.

I don't know if that's true. I am from Liverpool, for example.

It's sad that in order to get a vote on the UKs relationship with the EU that I have to choose between the Greens, UKIP or the Tories though.

I remember Labour promising us a referendum on the EU before they were elected and they subsequently reneged on it. I also seem to remember Ireland voting 'no' in a referendum to refuse the EU Lisbon Treaty, so their politicians decided to keep rerunning the referendum until they got the answer that they wanted. I don't trust the main parties on any of these issues. Too many vested interests, too many looking for a nice career on the EU gravy train.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »

Not so - in EU context England and Scotland form part of the UK, it would have to leave/ remain as a whole.

Which is another reason why this poll is pointless ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure