Joined 31.05.16

Comments

• Hi Rexelpink,

Thank you for joining me on my journey. Have you got a diary i can subscribe to. Im sure my musings are very boring but I have to say keeping this diary feels like i have turned an absolutely massive corner. My debt will go down slowly so I cant be too expectant of massive changes. Another lady writes about keeping up with the joneses and this struck a real chord with me.
    In the past I've held back on saying I cant afford something or to go somewhere expensive or out for dinner but I've recently just started telling people quite bluntly - I've overspent, im in my overdraft, I cant afford it. A suprising amount of people have understood- but not everyone.

I am a bit obsessed with what im eating because I think this is a major factor in my debt so im sure that is totally dull but it really helps me to note down what I've eaten and where I've been.

I hope we can blitz our debts together. It must be harder for parents and managing a house and school schedules.
    I've given myself very high targets because if they're not difficult ill be complacent and ill spend lots of time worrying but wont change anything so the more intense the better and posting every day right now really helps.

I cant imagine being free of debt, I've had this in some form for around 4 years but im hoping the day will come. Good luck to all. Xxxxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • rexelpink
    rexelpink Posts: 213 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Thanks psl.
    I keep meaning to start a diary, trouble is that I'm on my tablet and I find it really difficult to type so I've been holding off on that for a minute.
    I will do though and will let you know once I do.

Managing the school schedules and house is ok, my issue is that I need to pay off the debts without compromising on the kids childhood. If we had enough expendable income to be able to pay off big chunks and go a bit short for a year or 2 it would be OK. But we don't. So we could be paying off all our spare cash for 8years plus and the kids have no days out etc. That's the challenge I'm finding hard, where is the compromise between paying off debts and having a life for them.

I just tell people we are saving for a mortgage, and they stop expecting me to attend the expensive lunches and big nights out etc. Makes me sound miserable lol!

See that was hard to type!
    Staring debt - June 2013 - £21,000
    Current debt - February 2018 - £11,378.60

Emergency fund £500 / 100%

Debt free one day at a time
  • I think you've hit the most controversial of all topics there. I think one persons essential is another persons luxury. (my essential leg wax case in point).

But with children I think its even more blurry. My sister was saying recently that her friends daughter who is 8 knows that her mum and dad go to lidl because Sainsbury's is expensive. My sister was very upset by this. But its interesting to me because i don't think there is much wrong with children knowing that.
    I grew up knowing my parents were :o but my sister doesn't remember this like i do. She was shocked that I thought this was normal. I don't think it did me any harm honestly. We didn't go on holiday abroad and we knew days out were a treat. Looking back i have no idea how my patents managed but I do think its even harder now.
    I do remember my mum and dad worrying a lot over money which as an adult makes me feel sad. As a child i used to constantly worry about them getting divorced. I told them that recently and they couldnt understand why i would have thought that. They are married almost 40 years now but i suppose I just mean children pick up on things and because they don't understand or they see things on telly and they worry.
    im not sure how old yours are but Hopefully you can find a balance. It is hard organising this debt but im.hopeful there is a way through for us both
    xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • PSL that is so strange I always think about my upbringing & how on earth my mum managed it.

Loving the regular updates, good girl!!!

Dxxx
  • Hey PSL! Loving your diary so far and I can relate to most it. I have friends who constantly shop, eat out, go for drinks and I was one of them, but it is getting easier just saying no. I'm not at the stage of bluntly saying "No sorry I am in debt and trying my best to repay it back" I do stick to the old classics "I'm too tired from work" etc...The thing is none of my friends are wealthy either, all have credit cards up to their eyes in their overdrafts, just do the classic balance transfer and take out new cards when they want something....Fur coat, no knickers - I was def in this gang!!

I wouldn't let having debt hold you back from dating (if it's what you want) not that I am the best person to get dating advice from lol I had my daughter when I was 15 and then met my (ex now) husband at 20 and we divorced when I was 32. I was 34 in March so I'm new to the whole dating game! I did try out Tinder....don't judge me :rotfl: and it wasn't as bad as I thought, I actually spoke with far nicer people than I normally do in person! and the bonus is it's free!! I think the comment you said about your friends not willing to date people with savings/let alone being in debt is absolutely ridiculous! But at the end of the day will be them who lose on, so up to them.

Having a life while paying off debt is essential, I tried the whole paying every penny to debt and then having to use credit cards again as totally unrealistic and then tried to give myself teeny tiny budgets again unrealistic then I would have to use a card and get annoyed at myself then think oh well I've used it now and keep adding to it! I went months at the start of the year and didn't reduce my debt as made 2 steps forward and then 3 back....but these lessons have helped (I think!) so I now give myself money each month to spend on beuaty treatments/lunches etc

Sorry about writing so much! Good luck xxx

p.s Give threading another go, the bad experiences I've had had been from incompetent people!! When you get someone good who knows what they are doing it's def not as painful and gives a better shape.
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • Hey PSL, had a read through your diary and found it really interesting as we seem to have a few similarities. My income is less then yours but without the commuting costs and my mortgage is just slightly less. My flat is also in disrepair and my debt was 10k but is now 8k. I live a bus journey (or what I am trying to turn into a health and free bike ride) from my city and so people either don't visit or stay for ages or we have to go out to the city or they expect me to pop into more city central homes! The only major difference is I'm in a relationship, however this has been falling apart for a while. Do you find that being single affects your debt repayments greatly? I've been stressing about how I will budget and do home improvements and pay debts and have a social life when single :( I'll be loosing £400pm but on the positive I will be paying slightly less bills and have more control over energy use/ shopping bought I imagine :)
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Poor_Single_lady Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 January 2022 at 12:43PM
    Hello Baibelle, Reality_check, Dolly Rocker and everyone.

By sheer coincidence I did get my eyebrows threaded today and it was ok. My lady remembered that we had talked about it and she offered instead so I did.

I wish my friends were poor. Mine all assume im wealthy because I have a mortgage. That's how peoples minds work but its complete nonsense.

If im honest its the thought of meeting someone amazing and then having to explain this situation that I am worried about.
    I kind of find dating a chore, I haven't met anyone nice on my normal life have thought about eharmony but mostly have found men to be incredibly needy. And often quite boring. When I've dated I felt quite suffocated by the constant communication that men like to do. I hated being asked what I was doing every day and just find it all a bit silly. Every morning I used to get a text sating good morning, it was too much for me. Tinder I've not done! No judgement honestly. Maybe I will!

I think london has a lot to answer for, people have forgotten that dating is all about the connection rather than what people have in their bank account.

Sorry to read about your relationship Baibelle. That cant be easy and must be weighing on your mind. I hope you are ok.
    To be honest im not sure how my debt repaying will go, im hoping to have more of a plan when I've sorted out my overdraft. Going to balance transfer to mbna 0% 20 months so that will help.

Being single is frustrating because no matter what you say or do people who wouldn't choose to live on thier own cant understand that choice and assume (wrongly) that you never get any invites and are desperate to go out. They then put pressure on you to go out and spend money. For me this is the worst bit. This then brings more stress because you're constantly having that battle and its exhausting.

Todays spends
    £68 dentist
    £10 eyebrows
    £8 pub
    £10 market

Had spaghetti bol for tea and staying in tonight. Need to nip to tesco tommorow and sort out lunch for monday. 15 sleeps to payday. £75 payment to credit card on monday.

I don't think im going to make my august target but its on my mind constantly and im trying hard which is a giant improvement! Xxxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Before I lose momentum.
    Spent £8 poundland essentials
    £6.50 tesco- milk, bran flakes, cheese, apricots-4 items gold star for effort.

Then
    £27 in next dress for work
    £35 in new look 2 cardigans and one top for work. Might return top. Cardigans for work at £10 each is very good.

Next month need to buy tights and more dresses dispite things being incredibly tight! No holiday planned till september so could need a few bits added before then.

Also need at some point
    Pajamas
    Hoover
    Clothes airer
    Homeland dvd- watched 3 episodes need to see how this pans out.
    New handbag for work
    Big saucepan to make batches of dinner, existing pans not big enough.
    New pillows and duvets

Work drinks on thursday, think I will go for one but if I can miss altogether that would be best! Work lunch wednesday so im planning mon, tues, wed, friday NSD if possible. Just thursday probably wont be. Will see what the week brings. Xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • I love Homeland! Think I have watched up to season 4, just waiting on it coming on skyplus.

I know they are on Netflix up to season 4 do you have that? Could you get the one month free trial then just cancel it if they still do that?

Loving the NSD plans, don't think I will manage any this week. Need to be picking up lunches but maximum 2.00 per day will do me.

Dxxx
  • Thanks Dolly but sadly I am in the tiny minority in that my flat has no broadband, I have freeview and lovefilm which is how I saw homeland. My friends think I am bonkers but my phone has intenet and we have it at work plus my parents have it at their house. It just works for me not having it. Do miss youtube tho.
    Saw seasons 1-4 on sale from cash exchange I think 17.50 so thought I would get that on payday. I was gripped by it like nothing I have seen in ages. Got to occupy myself for july. Its going to be lean!
    Going to stay at home rest of day, telly, bath, book and head in organised mode.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills