Budget tyres or Premium tyres?

Options

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One thing you should never do is buy a "budget tyre". What I mean by that is that the garage choose a random tyre that is the cheapest. For my current car I buy JINYU YU61 tyres. They cost about £50 each which is less than half of what a premium tyre costs. They have all lasted over 21,000 miles and have never let me down grip wise. When I had my Subaru I put on Pirelli P Zero Neros because I wanted the extra grip but they wore out fairly quick.

So really if you don't take a car on track days then JINYUs are good for a cheap tyre.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2016 at 2:38PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    One thing you should never do is buy a "budget tyre". What I mean by that is that the garage choose a random tyre that is the cheapest. For my current car I buy JINYU YU61 tyres. They cost about £50 each which is less than half of what a premium tyre costs. They have all lasted over 21,000 miles and have never let me down grip wise. When I had my Subaru I put on Pirelli P Zero Neros because I wanted the extra grip but they wore out fairly quick.

So really if you don't take a car on track days then JINYUs are good for a cheap tyre.

On my Vectra.

Budget tyres from a tyre fitting chain are around £50 each.
    Premium tyres from a tyre fitting chain are £130+ each.

Budget tyres from my local independent tyre fitter are around £35 each.
    Premium tyres from my local independent tyre fitter are £85 each.

So, find a good place to buy tyres and buy good quality rubber.

My local independent has a grubby office with torn carpet, dirty walls covered in brake dust hand prints, several boxes full of oily wheel nut keys and outside a broken 2ft high wall for customers to perch their bums on while they wait. They don't even have ramps, just a team of 6 guys with trolley jacks.... Yet every Saturday morning there's a queue of 5-10 cars waiting for their tyres.

As a general guide, if they have a reception with cushy seats and a tea/coffee machine, your probably going to get fleeced.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Well two of the best prices places in East London/Essex have very plush waiting rooms, one even has a Cafe selling bacon rolls etc.

The local KwikFit has cheap chairs and an even cheaper carpet.

National Tyres has a pretty grubby office in Hornchurch.

Elite and Tyre Shop both have prices usually very similar if not the same as BlackCircles or MyTyres.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    On my Vectra.

Budget tyres from a tyre fitting chain are around £50 each.
    Premium tyres from a tyre fitting chain are £130+ each.

Budget tyres from my local independent tyre fitter are around £35 each.
    Premium tyres from my local independent tyre fitter are £85 each.

So, find a good place to buy tyres and buy good quality rubber.

My local independent has a grubby office with torn carpet, dirty walls covered in brake dust hand prints, several boxes full of oily wheel nut keys and outside a broken 2ft high wall for customers to perch their bums on while they wait. They don't even have ramps, just a team of 6 guys with trolley jacks.... Yet every Saturday morning there's a queue of 5-10 cars waiting for their tyres.

As a general guide, if they have a reception with cushy seats and a tea/coffee machine, your probably going to get fleeced.

I get mine done at a local garage but they don't have any nice seats or coffee machine and their toilet is basically an outhouse!. But there is no point in me buying any more expensive tyres when I'm happy with the grip and wear on the Jinyus. That would be like throwing money down the drain!. I know exactly how much profit they make per tyre because I've seen the invoice but everywhere else I have looked they are more expensive.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    where you buy your tyres from makes a big difference to what you pay as above

I had a yre going down on the M1 near Luton and as i was likely to cover 500 miles or so before getting back home i dint fancy running around on a space saver

nearest tyre place to the next junction was a place called Just tyres, they would not repair so i had no choice to replace a half worn turanza ER 30 so i had no choice but buy a new turanza er 300 as they had no er 30,s cost fitted was £130.00 after the weekend when i got home i went to my local tyre place for another ER300 to put a matched pair on the front and i got change from £80.00 so a difference of £200.00 for a set of four tyres
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    But there is no point in me buying any more expensive tyres when I'm happy with the grip and wear on the Jinyus.

jinyu tyres seem to get reasonable reviews with a score of 77%

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Jinyu/YU61

Wanli tyres get poor reviews with a score of 40%

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Wanli/S1088

the tyre that i run as my summer tyres get a lower score than the Jinyu

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Sport-Contact-5

so does that make the jinyu budget tyre better than the conti Premium Brand Tyres ?

so looks like you can get very poor budget tyres that get shocking reviews and some that seem to get good reviews, and in the tyre test the jinyu were not a million miles behind the conti
  • Horizon81
    Horizon81 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    N1AK wrote: »
    Do you buy the most expensive food/clothes/furniture you can?? Probably not unless you're eating caviar that costs more than gold, and wearing the GDP of a small country, so why buy the most expensive 'premium' tyres.

Hopefully you can tell the above is a rubbish, straw man argument... and it's exactly the same argument you made but flipped.

The choice isn't between just the "cheapest budget tyres" and premium tyres. Only a fool unthinkingly assumes price means quality, so there's nothing wrong with people asking if it's possible to get decent tyres at non-premium prices.

Yak yak yakkety yak. Your post is nonsense. When people talk of buying the cheapest tyres then they are indeed talking about the cheapest - the absolute cheapest. Hopefully you can understand that and your flipping my argument on its head doesn't apply, as not once did I say to buy the dearest tyres. Most people buy neither the cheapest gruel nor the most expensive caviar, and hence my analogy is to not buy the cheapest tyres. There's the minor point of safety too!
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    Options
    The best tire you can afford a budget tyres is better than bald premium tyre.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    Options
    Tend to buy the best tyres in my budget usually based on recommendations from users of Marque forums.

I tend to put Pirelli P Zero Corsas on our cars, and Vredesteins as Winter tyres. But pay a fraction of the UK cost as I am lucky enough to have a mate who brings back a set when he drives back from romania.

Which is quite handy as the Mrs can shred the rear Corsas in 8000 miles.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    What I really don't understand is why people spend £400 a month on a car and then stick the nastiest cheap rubber on it.

Car manufacturers spend millions of £ on finding the best tyres and suspension combination to suit their cars and then people go and stick £20 Supermega Ditch Finder XLs on it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure