Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Hengus wrote: »
    My guess is that the supplier is making sure that, with a Winter switch, you will not be building up a high level of debt. .

Incorrect, their aim is to make as much profit as possible. No need to rack up hundreds of credit despite what they claim. There is a risk with smaller companies, you won't lose the money but there may be a delay in getting it back - ask GB Energy customers.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Mr_K wrote: »
    Incorrect, their aim is to make as much profit as possible. No need to rack up hundreds of credit despite what they claim. There is a risk with smaller companies, you won't lose the money but there may be a delay in getting it back - ask GB Energy customers.

Most people use 70% of their annual energy usage over the Winter months so I fail to see how, mathematically, the poster will have a huge credit balance in 3 months time given the proposed increase in DD payments is c.50%. What the poster won't have is a large debit balance. Energy suppliers pay for the energy that we receive in advance of supply so it isn't unreasonable that they look to manage their corporate debt. That said, I agree that some suppliers play the system.

As far as GB was concerned (and yes I was a customer at the time of fail), I found their DD management to be pretty good. The company failed owing me about £75. A week before they failed, I received an e-mail from them lowering my monthly DD payment for the remaining 6 months of my contract. I calculated that they had got it spot on. Winter switches are more of a challenge for the smaller suppliers than the larger ones as there is no credit balance to offset higher usage.
  • Unfortunately the information presented for my best money saving option is out of date.
    The proposed Tariff Name no longer exists.
    The saving is small and factoring in actual costs make this a non-starter.
    Reading the Feedback it seems that this may have started off on the right foot, but later reports are warning against joining.
    I will not be switching until some real savings can be made.

Regards, NSN
    Regards,

N S N
  • 6months after switching I have to say I'm a happy customer.
    They are quick to resolve issues over the phone if you do have to call them.
    (I had an issue where they didn't take the given Gas meter reading from the previous company during the switch)

They are pretty no-frills, as they don't constantly tell you to give readings etc.
    But tbh you should already know what to expect for your DD values based on your known usage.
    (I mean you have to know it to compare providers on here so it's not something users here should struggle with estimating.)
    They gave 1months notice prior to raising their charges.
    (easily enough time for me to asses other providers and find out that no one was cheaper still)

The portal is simple, but has everything easily accessible.

As long as you're not either OCD submitting readings every week, or lazy and leaving 6months between readings I'd recommend them.
  • Avoid. Joined, all OK, previous supplier credited as expected very quickly, did not take further direct debit. Avro took dd in advance. Three months later Avro informed us of an approximate 16% increase, BUT, they informed us, you may keep your direct debit the same( there-bye owing them £13 + per month times 6 months or 12 months depending on their payment adjustment interval. NOT a good idea from a consumer aspect. Decided to move. New supplier, 25 December. Gave Avro and new supplier meter readings December 24. On January 6, Avro took dd £84. ( we did not cancel dd in case Avro said we did not pay dd and calculated final bill at a higher rate, as experienced previously with another supplier). We are now owed £158 as at January 20th 2017, 27 days after the contract ended part of which was £84, taken from our account 12 days after the contract closed. Beware and avoid.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    !0 months with Arvo so far and no problems at all. Regular accurate monthly billing. They do tell you the first DD is taken in advance and it seems if you are on a variable tariff they give you a choice to pay increases right away when the price goes up, do other companies do this?
    And as the poster has found there are no penalties when you leave.
    I have no complaints.
  • Got to say I joined up to Avro sometime last year and so far so good, Im saving money each month. With so much competition out there if I got too many problems from them I would switch as quickly as I could.
  • Joined them in September 2016 but due to rising prices there are cheaper companies out there.
    Had no problem with them until my switch started today and they have put a letter of objection on the account to stop the switch. When I called they said I was £13 in debit to them on an estimated metre reading from December. It is now March and I have made more payments since
    I pay a monthly fixed Direct Debit that will use slightly more in the winter than the summer as it is based on a years usage.
    This has effectively stopped my switch from them in its tracks and I don't have a switching date and so cannot give a final metre reading and get a final bill. Most companies could use this ploy to stop you switching away from them.
    I have now worked out that they owe me money due to their inflated estimated readings. All time and effort wasted in sorting out a non-existent problem. No compensation forthcoming and so in 8 weeks time I will be complaining to the Energy Ombudsman about them!
    Direct Debit stopped. Metre reading given and switch as far as I am concerned is today.
    A very angry Avro customer.
  • Having recently switched from Ovo Energy due to the better tariff offered by Avro I was surprised to find that Avro aren't able to access the smart meters installed at my property by Ovo late last year. This means that I have to resort to manual readings and the in-house monitor supplied by Ovo is useless. I had ( perhaps naively ) assumed that smart meters would be compatible between all suppliers but apparently this isn't the case. Strange that with the Energy companies being encouraged to promote smart meter technology there is this obvious flaw in the system.
  • Just coming up to the end of my first year fix with Avro at the end of next month, and they sent me an email reminder. I thought I would switch to their current best fix now, although it would mean losing a month's benefit of my existing cheaper tariff. To my pleasant surprise, they will instead perform the switch at the end of next month, so I continue to benefit from my current tariff for the whole year. Also, my emails were promptly answered by "a real person": I am pleased with the prices and service I have received thus far from Avro Energy. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback