Weekly Spend Challenge W/C 24th November 2013

EverTheOptimist
EverTheOptimist Posts: 2,694 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 December 2013 at 10:45PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
Hello everyone. Welcome to the Weekly Spend Challenge. This challenge is open to anybody, no matter what financial place they are in.

On this thread please post an amount of money you wish to stay below within the week (Sunday to end of working day on Friday). This can be pennies or thousands it depends on the individual. Then next Saturday report back and pledge for the following week. The challenge runs from Sunday to Friday so we don't include Saturdays but feel free to change the rules to suit you and include Saturdays or start on a different day.

Feel free to update this thread with daily spends if that keeps you on track. We colour code the results as below:

Green - within budget
Red - over budget
Purple - zero spend
Orange - made money over the week

This is a little bit of fun but for many it highlights the fact that maybe that magazine/chocolate bar isn't needed. Hopefully your spending habits can be changed forever.

Moozie was the founder of this challenge and here is a quote taken from her:

Originally Posted by Moozie:
"Good afternoon lovely DFWs Now for anyone looking in, please feel free to join - the more the merrier! Basically, decide on the amount you want to spend up to from Sunday until the end of the working day on Friday then pledge it here and off we go! The challenge is about incidental spending and not for stuff that should be budgeted elsewhere such as bills, groceries, debt repayment etc but you decide what to include at the end - this is about changing your habits and improving your recording of your spends more than anything else. Have a great week everyone and keep it low!!! Moozie x"

Good Luck Everyone

W/C 17th November 2013 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £40 / £24.96
Sedge123 - £50 / £58.90
Jonesy88 - £10 / £10
SpecialBrew - £70
DellyC - £20 / RED
splodgethefirst - £10 / £3.85
Flyinggiraffe - £50
Mooomin - £50 / RED
Casperthefriendlyghost - £40 / £55

Bearacus - £80 / £75.64
Flat Eric - £100
Munchin - £44.20 / £33.34

W/C 24th November 2013 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £70
Splodgethefirst - £10
Munchin - £40
Bearacus - £80
Flyinggiraffe - £13.46
Sedge123 - £40
Casperthefriendlyghost - £5
Mooomin - £21
Smokies - £40
DellyC - £20
Jonesy88 - £10
Mrs Cheshire - £15
SPC 14 Target £200 /
Debt: £11850

Comments

• Evening, ETO!

I am green for last week with a spend of £3.85. Can you put me down for £10 for incidental spends - shame about all the other planned spends like paying CC and similar! :)
  • EverTheOptimist
    EverTheOptimist Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 November 2013 at 10:16PM
    Evening splodge, well done on the low spends last week. I know I'm scuppered every week by the other must spends. :D bl00dy bills. :D

My plans for the week

Sun - Christmas fayre for animal charity - not sure of budget for this as may be able to pick up a Xmas bargain.
    Mon - coffee/ lunch with a friend
    Tues - NSD
    Weds - coffee / lunch with a diff friend
    Thurs - baby group
    Fri - baby group, then going down south to stay with hubby for the weekend so may need to buy some groceries
    Sat - party for hubby's birthday, so will be buying a couple of drinks.

Big budget. :eek: Might see if one of the lunches can be just coffee.

Thinking £70. :eek: not sure where I'm going to find that from.
    ETA - Right just looked on my internet banking. I have £43 to get me through to fri (payday) and will have to top up with £27 from next months money and try to claw it back from somewhere next month.
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
    Debt: £11850
  • I'm in again. Can you put me down for £40 this week please?

Let's see if I can stay within the budget!
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
  • Evening splodge, well done on the low spends last week. I know I'm scuppered every week by the other must spends. :D bl00dy bills. :D
    SNIP!
    ETA: get me through to fri (payday) and will have to top up with £27 from next months money and try to claw it back from somewhere next month.

I know.

Tuesday pay-day. got to pay the horrible bills, CC, reg saver (the amount I was paying off the OD over the summer - am learning!)
    Sunday - NSD
    Monday - NSD
    Tuesday - PAYDAY! (aka payout day ... ) - bills all come out, got to squirrel money for Christmas etc ...
    Wednesday - NSD
    Thursday - NSD
    Friday - off to visit friends so petrol and dinner etc.

ta :)
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi ETO - thanks for starting the thread again:)

I have a couple of meals out this week but one is thankfully paid for. Plans -
    Sun - £2.50 papers
    Mon - £10 lunch with girls
    Tues - NSD
    Wed - £6 nephews judo
    Thurs - NSD
    Fri - £20 colleague's retirement dinner

Total planned spends - £40
  • bearacus
    bearacus Posts: 824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 November 2013 at 6:10PM
    Hi everyone,

Im going for £80 again please

Going to try and cut down on going to the local somerfield for extra bits and just being more organised with weekly shop.

good luck this week guys

bearacus xx

NW-£0 Cap one-£76 HSBC small-£359.51 (0% Aug16) HSBC car- £3511.46 (0%Oct17) HX car/baby- £2731.57 (0%Nov16) HX -£1198.66 (0% Jul16) Argos- £50(BNPLMay)
    Credit card debt-£7877.20 (4/3/16)
    Car Loan - £21,777 - Now - £12,383.36 Mortgage- £154,315.77
    LLoyds loan- paid 28/1/11 LLoyds O/D paid 9/9/10
    New LBM- £ 28/2/2016
  • smokies
    smokies Posts: 138 Forumite
    Need to get back into writing all spends down again, and I found this is one of the most valuable threads to help me..... so after been food shopping yesterday and hubby kindly put so diesel in the car..... I have a total of £43.45 to last the week - this may include any bits like milk bread ect, as I went over my food budget by £2.00 yesterday ....

So for this week £40.00 ( will put £3.45 aside)
    Sell £750.00
    Jan-feb-march - 150.00

• DellyC
    DellyC Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Overspent last week not sure by how much. I will pledge £20 again this week.
    Sun - NSD
  • Jonesy88
    Jonesy88 Posts: 959 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi ETO,

I dont really know how much i spent last week :o so i'm going with £10 spent. I spent more but on christmas presents which come out of a different budget. Misc spends wise i didn't spend much but instead joined it with the xmas funds is that makes sense!

(...reading this back i doubt it makes sense!)

Anyway.... Can you put me down for the usual £10 please? I promise to be stricter with myself, recording where my money is going :)
    :rudolf: DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £8,250/£15,000 55% :rudolf:
    SPC 7: #135 :staradmin | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: £6.49/£80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
  • Sedge123
    Sedge123 Posts: 597 Forumite
    NSD for me to start the week off today. Tomorrow is kind of my planned spending days as littlest has inset day so off into town to spend his birthday money but will probably involve coffee and cake!
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family