People Per Hour: My Story

Options
louise12113
louise12113 Posts: 157 Forumite
edited 9 November 2013 at 12:57AM in Boost your income
Good evening,

I wanted to share my story and the success I have had with people per hour. I stumbled across this website and so glad I did.

There are some fantastic jobs available covering a huge range of skills such as writing, social media and administration to name a few.

Check out the site for yourself and see how they can help increase your income. Not only have I increased my income potential but I have gained a hobby.

http://www.peopleperhour.com/?utm_source=social

I would love to hear your story :-)

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What skills have you got louise, what type of jobs have you done.
    Like many of us i'd like to find some sort of work i could do from home on the computer and i've looked at sites like peopleperhour, there seemed to be people bidding for work from all over the world, obviously many in what i suppose you'd call third world countries could undercut many in the west,
    I never looked into the details but i thought it was going to be difficult to find much work.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • chrisuren
    Options
    Will check it out, thank you :)
  • rao_2
    rao_2 Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Like many of us i'd like to find some sort of work i could do from home on the computer and i've looked at sites like peopleperhour, there seemed to be people bidding for work from all over the world, obviously many in what i suppose you'd call third world countries could undercut many in the west,
    I never looked into the details but i thought it was going to be difficult to find much work.

PeoplePerHour actually seems a little better with respect to the whole global bidding war pit other sites like Freelancer.com etc. degenerate into. Of course there's still lots of jobs though where the expected budget is low, but last I looked it wasn't too bad (if I remember right I think it sets some kind of average expected bid and rejects really low ones, but maybe that's changed now).

PeoplePerHour are now pushing their new Hourlies service pretty hard too, where you list what you can do in 1 Hour and for how much. On the one hand it's a good concept, but on the other I think it does cause cheapening since you see a lot of people listing a great deal of work to do in 1 hour for low hourly rates.

Regardless of pricing I haven't had much luck on any of these sites. The trouble is a lot of people are already established with lots of satisfied customer reviews, so you end up getting rejected a lot for not having PeoplePerHour-based reviews. Once you get established on such sites though it can work nicely, but breaking that initial barrier seems an arduous task (sort of like being a 0 Feedback seller on eBay but worse).
  • Patchwork_Girl
    Options
    Just a note for those who get put off by the low pricing on these sites when you're thinking of bidding on a job. I've hired through Elance (I believe it's a similar type of site - never used People Per Hour) a few times and always had some very, very low offers for the work I wanted doing. I always ended up taking up one of the 'middle to high' offers simply because those bidding low were clearly not capable of doing what I needed (it involved writing so I needed a native or excellent English speaker/writer). You do get what you pay for and many people want to hire quality so if you have a skill worth promoting don't underprice yourself.

I do agree with those who mentioned established profiles though - I always checked reviews and work samples. It might be worth doing a few good jobs for less money to get established before raising your prices...
  • louise12113
    louise12113 Posts: 157 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2013 at 12:57AM
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »

I had a very keen interest in writing and was something that I wanted to take up on a professional basis. Admittedly I joined a few years ago prior to the introduction of hourlies and was hard to get my first gig. However I persevered and and wasn't too long before I got my first job. In fact it took about a week of writing detailed proposals. The key is to get the proposal right.

In regards to being undercut this seems to be a thing of the past as PPH are very hot on ensuring freelancers get paid a fair wage and if you try and submit a low price it will get rejected.

The introduction of the hourlies is fantastic in getting on the ladder. I have got loads of reviews from hourlies.

Plus it is possible now to get external reviews.

Sorry if I am going on but this site has really helped me. I am more than happy to help anyone and provide help and advice where I can.

There are community Q and A's which answer a lot of common questions too
    http://www.peopleperhour.com/?utm_source=social
  • louise12113
    Options
    Just a note for those who get put off by the low pricing on these sites when you're thinking of bidding on a job. I've hired through Elance (I believe it's a similar type of site - never used People Per Hour) a few times and always had some very, very low offers for the work I wanted doing. I always ended up taking up one of the 'middle to high' offers simply because those bidding low were clearly not capable of doing what I needed (it involved writing so I needed a native or excellent English speaker/writer). You do get what you pay for and many people want to hire quality so if you have a skill worth promoting don't underprice yourself.

I do agree with those who mentioned established profiles though - I always checked reviews and work samples. It might be worth doing a few good jobs for less money to get established before raising your prices...

I completely agree with your comments. As a writer I have used other sites such as Elance and Freelancer.com and find the standard to be so much lower. I have gained most of my work from People Per Hour and like Patchwork Girl says if you want quality then you know that by accepting the lowest offer you are likely to receive low quality.

Another way to establish reputation is to create a blog to showcase your work. I use Wordpress which am happy to send link for to give you an idea.
  • directdebiter
    Options
    If you go into the elance, odesk world you are bidding against low international competitors generally. Therefore it is important to emphasise quality, communication and experience. Personally I find the quality of bids from those sites quite poor in general but I am sure there are exceptions.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just thought we should have a link that isn't a affiliate link (To be fair I am assuming based on the look of the link so sorry if it isn't ;) )
    http://www.peopleperhour.com/
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • louise12113
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    I just thought we should have a link that isn't a affiliate link (To be fair I am assuming based on the look of the link so sorry if it isn't ;) )
    http://www.peopleperhour.com/

Hi - Yes I have recently become an ambassador for PPH but I am sharing my views/story as someone that has recently had children and this site enabled me to build a new career. As a regular user of this site where I have learnt lots I wanted to pass on some of my wisdom. Really sorry if I have done something wrong, that wasn't my intention.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - Yes I have recently become an ambassador for PPH but I am sharing my views/story as someone that has recently had children and this site enabled me to build a new career. As a regular user of this site where I have learnt lots I wanted to pass on some of my wisdom. Really sorry if I have done something wrong, that wasn't my intention.

Hi

If the link in your OP is an affiliate link you could edit it to the one as given by Kayalana99 .

So what is your story? What have you done to earn through the site and build a new career? What hobby have you gained?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure