Best way to 'Give house to kids?'

Options

Comments

• wacko911
    wacko911 Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You would have to SELL your main residence BEFORE you took ownership/signed over on the new house. Otherwise the owning more than one house within 3 years applies and CGT is paid, and CGT will charged on either house as you are no longer a single home owner.
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First off, if you are considering doing this, go and see a solicitor, don't ask for advice on chatrooms. It is worth the money.

Broadly speaking though, there are three issues here. Inheritance tax is the first, CGT is the second, and care charges are the third.

Inheritance tax is easy. You can give your house away if you want, the same as you can give away anything you own. If you survive 7 years there is no IHT liability. If you don't the value at the point the gift was made will be worked out and this will be added to your estate less gift allowances for IHT purposes. Unless your estate works out as being worth over about 250K there will be no problem anyway. The IR will look very carefully at this sort of thing to see whether you have submitted a fair valuation for the house. And of course there are risks if you are still living there and something happens to require the children to sell (for example bankruptcy).

CGT is more tricky. If the children sell the house and it is not their main residence, they will be liable for CGT at least on the difference in the full value of the house at the time of the transfer and its current value, and possibly the whole value (not sure about this, but the IR will explain if you ask them).

Care fees are something else entirely. Local authority payments for care homes are basically discretionary. If the LA believe you have evaded your responsibilities - which is what you are suggesting you wish to do - by giving away your assets they will not pay for your care. There is no time limit on this, nor do the same rules apply for gifts under inheritance tax.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    seaniboy wrote:
    I think in Scotland we get free care if you are over 65 anyhow regardless of your assets,

Sorry but that's not the case even here in Scotland. Your assets are still taken into account so you may still have to sell the house to pay for care.

The true situation is, at present, in Scotland: Elderly people in residential homes qualify for support of £145 per week for personal care and £65 per week for nursing care. But further support for living and housing costs is means-tested.

Pensioners with assets of £19,500 or more - including the value of their home - do not receive any assistance and those with capital between £11,500 and £19,000 are expected to make a partial contribution. That can mean people have to sell their house to find the money required, although there is now the option of a Deferred Payment Agreement, which means the property is signed over to the council but not sold until after the owner has died. Then the council will take what is owing to them!

See here for details
    http://www.seniorsnetwork.co.uk/freecare/
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wacko911 wrote:
    You would have to SELL your main residence BEFORE you took ownership/signed over on the new house. Otherwise the owning more than one house within 3 years applies and CGT is paid, and CGT will charged on either house as you are no longer a single home owner.

The house you are living in would be your nominated main residence and therefore free of CGT. Once that is sold and you are living in the other one, that becomes your main residence so surely is free from CTG. Are you saying that if you sold the second house within three years it would be subject to CTG? I know you have two years to sell it after inheriting before CTG is applicable but I believe that is if you don't move into it.
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can sign your house over to your kids but to protect yourself why dont you sign a Deed of Trust, which means that the house is theirs and their responsibility, however they can not sell unless you also approve.

But this doesnt cover you if they fall into arrears with mortgage.
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    If it is a "Gift with reservation" then it will still be liable for Inheritance Tax.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • wacko911
    wacko911 Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bossyboots wrote:
    The house you are living in would be your nominated main residence and therefore free of CGT. Once that is sold and you are living in the other one, that becomes your main residence so surely is free from CTG. Are you saying that if you sold the second house within three years it would be subject to CTG? I know you have two years to sell it after inheriting before CTG is applicable but I believe that is if you don't move into it.

From http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/cgtfs1.htm
    "
    You will not have to pay CGT when you dispose of your home if all the following conditions are met.

* Throughout the period that you owned it, it was your only home.
    "

IE, If you have more than one home, then if you sell one, it comes under CGT rules

BUT - on further reading it seems you can nominate one residence and MAY get SOME relief from CGT

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/cgt1.htm#d1

What if I sell my home?

No chargeable gain arises when you dispose of your home if all the following conditions are met.

You bought it, and made any expenditure on it, primarily for use as your home rather than with a view to making a profit.
    Throughout the period that you owned it, it was your only home.
    You did actually use it as your home all the time that you owned it.
    Throughout the period that you owned it, you did not use it for any purpose other than as a home for yourself, your family and no more than one lodger.
    The house and garden do not exceed half a hectare (about one and a quarter acres).

Even if not all these conditions are met, you may still be entitled to relief. For example

if you had more than one home, you may be able to nominate one of them as your main home for the purposes of the relief
    if all the conditions were met throughout all but the last three years of the period that you owned your home, you will still be entitled to the full relief
    if you lived away from home temporarily (for example, while working abroad), you may still be entitled to the full relief
    if all the conditions were met for part of the period that you owned your home, you will still be entitled to some relief
    if you used part of the building as your home and part for some other purpose (for example, for business purposes or for letting) you will still be entitled to some relief.

You may also qualify for the relief if

you sell part of the garden or outbuildings belonging to your home without selling the home itself, or
    your home is a fixed caravan or houseboat.

Married couples may have relief from CGT on only one home. However

you and your husband or wife may each have had a qualifying home before you were married. After marriage you both live together in one of these homes and sell the other. Provided that it is sold within three years of marriage, you may not have to pay any CGT (subject to the normal rules for this relief). If you sell it after more than three years of marriage it may qualify for partial relief
    there are special rules on divorce and separation.
  • whizkid_2
    Options
    in reply to earlier replies re middle classes and paying for care. with increases in house prices you dont have to be middle class or affluent these days to be well over any thresholds. does any one say to the people who spend large amounts of their money on smoking, drinking etc or other pleasures which do not result in any tangible assets you should be putting away money for your old age ? no but those who do will have to foot the bill for their care. don't get me wrong i wouldn't tell any one what they should do with their money but most of the people who take the attitude you should sell your house to pay for your care don't usually own their own homes! What about the situation where you can't stay in your house cos its not suitable so have to go into a home but your neighbour can so the value of his home is disregrded but he gets the same level of care, and when he dies his family inherit. again don't get me wrong, i just think we should allbe the same, LAs should take a defferred charge if you stay in your home. Ideally though no one should pay! the tax thresholds should be raised to take out most of us average earners and tax more heavily the fat cats and pop stars/footballers etc who are super rich and spend much of their money abroad. most of the wealth in Uk belongs to a very small number of people, the rest of us just work hard pay taxes and generally get stung. PHEW! glad i got that off my chest
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Suppose the house did not exist. Suppose that it was money in the bank instead.

Would there be any difference in the basic argument? Would people still insist in keeping all their money in the bank so that they didn't have to pay for their own care (assuming that care became necessary) because they wanted to leave it all to their kids?

In reply to whizkid about the 'middle-classes' (!) we're both 70, we own our own home, we've worked hard etc etc, both of us in responsible jobs for many years. Neither of us has the slightest objection to our assets being used to fund our care, should that become necessary. What we worked for should be used for US, for our comfort, extra choice, whatever - even, as lislyloo said, for extra holidays! The only condition we make is that our wishes be taken into account. People talk about 'getting taken into care', but it's still essential to consult people - it's not a jail sentence, no one can be incarcerated against their will!

I feel a lot of hot air is generated because of the whole idea of 'leaving an inheritance'. Because of the crazy hike in house values this is an idea which has spread among many groups of people who would never have given it a thought in the past. We were not left anything and we did OK.

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • whizkid_2
    Options
    if thats your choice ok but what if its not.under the conditions i want you could still pay if you wanted too. its all abiout choice. what if your family badly needed the money that you had put into your home and you wanted them to have it. also believe me there is not always a choice or time to consider other options regarding going into a care home. i have some experience in this area and i am yet to meet anyone who was happy about leaving their home or their subsequent life in a home. i am pleased for you that you have not faced this situation but believe me when you are in this situation realityis very different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure