Decorating new plaster

Hi folks

Before Christmas we had a room partially re-skimmed. Once it had dried I applied a mist coat - roughly 80/20 - but then it was left. I must've got a little carried away and have applied the mist coat over the part of the room that wasn't skimmed, that was painted with a vinyl silk I've just gone to wash off the marks left by our muddy dogs to find that the mist coat is washing off both the new plaster and the painted walls.

What do you suggest is the best way to deal with this? Wash it all off, sand & start again. Or is there a less time consuming (and less arm aching) method?, she asks hopefully.

Thanks.

Comments

• dickibobboy
    dickibobboy Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can’t comment on the silk walls however the fresh plastered walls will be fine. Mine have done this in the past when i’ve cleaned up window frames after the first mist coat next to them and had the same thing.
    Things that are free in life are great, well most of the time :beer:
  • jcb208
    jcb208 Posts: 750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Depends on the paint used for the mist coat ,most contract paints will wash off as they contain no vinyl .Just paint over it with a durable paint If it will need washing down regularly
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    jcb208 wrote: »
    Depends on the paint used for the mist coat ,most contract paints will wash off as they contain no vinyl .Just paint over it with a durable paint If it will need washing down regularly

But you’re not meant to use a vinyl paint as a mist coat.
  • 'But you’re not meant to use a vinyl paint as a mist coat.' I didn't read it that he suggested using vinyl for a mist coat so no harm done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure