CMS showing arrears?

I've been paying CSA up until the end of September they took a DEO payment from me on the 27th which is my paydate every month.

I spoke to CMS at the end of September by which he told me the payments over the phone and my ex agreed a Direct Pay agreement I then had to wait for the payment plan to come through the post to confirm what he told me on the phone.

Because there wasn't any DD setup I had to wait for them to send my ex's details. So this would have meant no payment in October and I asked him if I needed to keep anything back for that month.

He said no we don't do arrears like CSA e.g we won't back date that month as it's a new agreement setup and my payments would start from 1/11/17 which payment plan confirms this.

However I noticed on the payment plan letter that I had arrears already of £44

I signed upto the Gov gateway and looked at my account and the £44 arrears are dated 29/9/17 I sent them a message via their online form on the 14/10/17 and so far they haven't replied.

I then went and checked my account tonight as been away for a week and noticed even more arrears £126 dated 20/10/17

yet on my account at the bottom of my statement it says all upto date.

Any ideas what this means?

Will probably have to call them on monday.

Comments

• jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    CMS calculate your liability for the year on a daily basis and then work out how much you should pay on a weekly or monthly basis.
    this is why arrears show on your statement as you have not yet made a payment but your bill goes up on a daily basis.
    you will show a deficit on your account until the end of the year when your account should be all square.
    the CMS just work out the payments slightly differently to CSA, and it can be very difficult to explain in detail on some cases, with even some staff finding it difficult to comprehend.
    all you need to do is set up the payments to your ex at the level CMS tell you and ensure you pay these on the due dates and all should work out ok.
    note-if you do stop paying and your ex contacts them to stop direct pay you will then have to pay a 20% charge on top of the assessment.
  • Gavin78
    Gavin78 Posts: 256
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks,

I did call them and they explained that I hadn't made a payment yet so would change once payment is made
  • Gavin78
    Gavin78 Posts: 256
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So I contacted CMS today as the Debt has moved over to them.

They have agreed £30 a month to clear £11,882 to be looked at again in 3 months time once it has gone to a case worker. Although she got a bit shirty on the phone about wanting it cleared off sooner rather than later.

I said well I am the only one working at the min and going through stepchange for debts built up for othe things to make you aware of my financial position.

She then said to me actually CSA have notied on your file they have been trying to contact you for 6 months about the arrears. I was like eh? the only time CSA have written to me is to tell me in April time it was moving to CMS in September this year.

I've had no other letters in 8 years from CSA and they admitted that on the phone. There has also been a DEO on my wage which has never been altered so how can there be arrears outstanding when the DEO never changed either.

She wasn't bothered and said talk about it with the case worker when it gets to them in 3 months.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Gavin78 wrote: »
    So I contacted CMS today as the Debt has moved over to them.

They have agreed £30 a month to clear £11,882 to be looked at again in 3 months time once it has gone to a case worker. Although she got a bit shirty on the phone about wanting it cleared off sooner rather than later.

I said well I am the only one working at the min and going through stepchange for debts built up for othe things to make you aware of my financial position.

She then said to me actually CSA have notied on your file they have been trying to contact you for 6 months about the arrears. I was like eh? the only time CSA have written to me is to tell me in April time it was moving to CMS in September this year.

I've had no other letters in 8 years from CSA and they admitted that on the phone. There has also been a DEO on my wage which has never been altered so how can there be arrears outstanding when the DEO never changed either.

She wasn't bothered and said talk about it with the case worker when it gets to them in 3 months.

PM sent Gavin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport