We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• I search for the URL, eg ones I just posted today, I searched for them, and also key words, so now making this up, if there was a "Win a case of Bulmers cider with HMV" comp, I'd do "Bulmers", see what came up, "HMV" and see what came up as well, and also "cider". I search in the little box at the top RH corner and click the forums button so it does not search the main site, and also on the search tab under the welcome bit...and some come up which is why I don't post them but all the comps I post, they come up as not being there already...
  • Josie, I don't even know what an advanced search is so I am sure I am not doing them!! I don't think this is the place to go into all the rest of it, only focus on the matter in hand...I just think some people can be insensitive and tactless and it can be very upsetting, offputting and intimidating. I shan't say more as there is no point and I don't want to get ill again.
  • I do search that way, to the letter. And it does not always work, as is admitted in the post itself. This is not a place to start the personal attacks again.
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No one wants to attack u FE, just help u too to use the forum in a way that we all do xxx why not spend some time going through all the buttons like i did when i first started i literally clicked on each one to see what it done!, familiarise yourself with everything and practice, soon it will be second nature. Dont make yourself ill over this its just a learning curve xxxx
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    lilias wrote: »
    Could you add Craftmatic Beds to the list of spammy sites, please?

Have read the links & yeps they are added - what awful practices the salemen have! Scum! Thanks for alerting us to them lilias :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    I don't even know what an advanced search is so I am sure I am not doing them!!

FE - the Comping Guide takes you step by step through the Advanced Search with screen shots to help you along the way. You may be doing them without realising as you say you've read & followed the Guide :confused:

The only thing I can add to what has been mentioned by other members is perhaps try the search just using the domain name. So in non techie ;) that is:

I've just grabbed a random comp from the forum list. The link for the competition is: http://www.toyhound.co.uk/comp.php?source=NUK for £100 worth of ELC Vouchers.

When searching I would try an Advanced Search for: toyhound.co.uk - that brings back quite a few comps so I'd either scan down the list or search for toyhound.co.uk voucher (8 results) & also toyhound.co.uk £100 (2 results) to narrow it down. (If you want to try that search to see if you get the same results?)

I'm hoping this has helped a little? As Toni says, this is meant to be fun, not something to get worked up over or ill. If I'm online (little green light under my name) then feel free to pm me with a comp & I'll help with a second search if you want, so you can feel better about posting it? Not saying that any of us are perfect but sometimes another pair of eyes can help :o
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • littleholly
    littleholly Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    I do search that way, to the letter. And it does not always work, as is admitted in the post itself. This is not a place to start the personal attacks again.

I don't know how you can say that you're being personally attacked. You create these scenarios by asking why the search doesn't work for you. The search works fine for most of us and people have posted helpful advice to guide you but you always say 'thats how I already do it'.
    If you've read the guide and other peoples advice and the search still doesn't work for you then I really don't know what else to suggest. :confused:

NOW IN COMPING SEMI-RETIREMENT! :D
    AL MAC APPRECIATION SOCIETY MEMBER NO: 550 748 ;)
  • Hello there

We run a website and we want to post our own competition! Although I can't see it in the rules, I understand that this is frowned upon in MSE-land (i'm looking at this post specifically - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1114973). We're not evil spammers, and it's a genuine competition... any ideas about what we can do?.. Please feel free to delete/move this post if I'm unwittingly breaking any more rules!
    :beer:
    Cath
  • Hello there

We run a website and we want to post our own competition! Although I can't see it in the rules, I understand that this is frowned upon in MSE-land (i'm looking at this post specifically - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1114973). We're not evil spammers, and it's a genuine competition... any ideas about what we can do?.. Please feel free to delete/move this post if I'm unwittingly breaking any more rules!
    :beer:
    Cath
    Hi, it's not in this guide because it's not a comp-specific rule, but a general MSE one (no promoting your own site/services)

I think you'll find the comp from your site has been posted recently though ;)

Cheeky
    Al Mac Appreciation Society (AMAS) member # 6½
    This Will Be Mine 2009 Member #5 I just want to win a new iPod please
    Member of the missing kipper club
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    The Guide has been updated with some new smilies which Cheeky Chicken created for us to use. Hopefully this will help the forum come together more with less misunderstandings when just plain words are used :)

Thanks CC! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure