IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BBC1 Rip Off Britain programme and NCP

morrisoscar
morrisoscar Posts: 209 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 26 September 2012 at 10:27AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Caught some of BBC1 Rip Off Britain this morning and in an article regarding NCP a parking charge notice was being referred to as a fine and parking ticket.:doh: :mad:

Comments

• No matter how much we try the general public will always know them as "fines" and "penalties", the ppc's know this and play on it to get their ill gotten gains. All we can do is to try to educate them.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • No matter how much we try the general public will always know them as "fines" and "penalties", the ppc's know this and play on it to get their ill gotten gains. All we can do is to try to educate them.

A view reinforced by a BBC programme the point of which is telling people how not to get conned.:rotfl:
  • A view reinforced by a BBC programme the point of which is telling people how not to get conned.:rotfl:

Watchdog does the same. I've complained to the BBC and ITV Wales several times about it. They still continue with their sloppy journalism.
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • That's joiurnalism at it's best. The words "fine" and "penalty" are more sensationalist that "speculative invoice". :p
    "So long and thanks for all the fish" :hello:
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As are the words "Traffic Warden" when referring to council parking attendants.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    On a previous edition of the programme in a feature not relating to parking tickets, the presenter could't make her mind up about whether she was talking about debt collectors or bailliffs. She kept interchaning the phrases
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • note_2
    note_2 Posts: 169 Forumite
    i saw on one of these programs a while back that their advice was to pay the ticket as soon as possible to stop the charges escalating, then to try and reclaim the money back after.

in the telegraph i read the motoring section on a saturday and 'honest john' advises you pay the PPC £10 in full and final settlement.

there are so many lies and !!!! advice out there that this site is a godsend.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Caught some of BBC1 Rip Off Britain this morning and in an article regarding NCP a parking charge notice was being referred to as a fine and parking ticket.:doh: :mad:

That is a shockingly dreadful programme with presenters past their prime and not up to speed with anything to do with rip-offs (all very well-known very well-off ladies, being spoon-fed information on an autocue. Information which they don't ever seem to understand).

Glad I missed it TBH...had the misfortune to see some of Monday's programme and it was truly dire with no conclusions or follow ups to actually right any wrongs.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    That is a shockingly dreadful programme with presenters past their prime and not up to speed with anything to do with rip-offs (all very well-known very well-off ladies, being spoon-fed information on an autocue. Information which they don't ever seem to understand).
    It's ok, the researchers on this show are unpaid interns and half the staff are paid below NMW.

What I am shocked about is how this programme gets through BBC's quality control. I have worked on TV programmes and any legal information has to be passed by their legal department and also by a solicitor. BBC go crazy and rejects a programme if we have one blank frame or sound level hits 6.5 for third of a second, but the content of the programme is plain wrong it passes muster.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    The same for X-ray when they covered excel in ebbw vale, they kept on referring it to fines and penalties . I just don't understand how the same station then produces watchdog and its completely different. It seems that the right arm don't know what the left arm is doing. Kind of like the Abu Hamza thing with the queen
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure