Decorating Costs

Comments

• chez_2
    chez_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Thanks for all the comments/advice guys.

I don't expect it to be a cheap job, just £4600 seems a little high!

I'm in Northamptonshire.
  • I'm with doozeruk on this one - decorating takes time. £200 for 4 mandays labour is reasonable (no paid holidays, sickness or pension).

I have a friend who tried to set up a decorating business - it just didn't work as there were far too many 'retired'/'unemployed' people taking the business.

I do my own decorating (and accept the 'quality'). It took me ages at first but with practice it gets quicker. Also, although I enjoy wallpapering, I now never wallpaper. I spend time getting the walls right and then simply emulsion them. It's much quicker than papering and less messy and, IMO, looks great.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • i stumbled across this thread while surfing . I am a self employed painter and decorator, it is very difficult to price for works without firstly seeing in person exactly what has to be done. The size and shape of a room is the first thing to be taken into account and as has been said previously the condition of surfaces to be decorated. I also note you don't say what type of decorating is required, is it solely emulsioning and gloss work or is there paper to be hung also, old paper to be removed ect.

I work on an average of £120 per day I can polish of an average room in that one day including moderate filling, preparation and minor repairs, inclusive of undercoating all woodworks and 2 good coats of emulsion on the walls and ceilings. Now obviously for a smaller room this would be much quicker and a larger room may run into a second day but as a rough guide it would average at 1 room per day on a full house such as yours, now hanging paper is slightly more time consuming, the room would still require preparation and then the paper hung, for this on an average room I would charge a approx. £280.

assuming you just required emulsion painting in your house and it was a relatively modern property with lower height ceilings and not an old Victorian property where you need to hire a cherry picker to change a light bulb! I would estimate your interior labour to be approx. £2000 however I would love to know where the guy gets his materials from because that to me appears very cheap.

by the way I am not touting for work as you are too far for me to travel as I am in Lancashire, again as has been said before location does often play a part in labour prices.
    :: No Unapproved or advertising links in signatures please - FM ::
  • chez wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments/advice guys.

I don't expect it to be a cheap job, just £4600 seems a little high!

I'm in Northamptonshire.

Hi £4600 is a bit steep to do the work that you require.
    I am a small decorating firm, i would price this job to be no more than £3000.
    If you would like to get in touch with me send me a e-mail to derby0155@yahoo.co.uk:j
  • jay1981
    jay1981 Posts: 28 Forumite
    derby01 wrote: »
    Hi £4600 is a bit steep to do the work that you require.
    If you would like to get in touch with me send me a e-mail to [EMAIL="derby0155@yahoo.co.uk"]derby0155@yahoo.co.uk[/EMAIL]:j

I think 4 YEARS on that the work would of been done by now!!!!
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    derby01 wrote: »
    hi £4600 is a bit steep to do the work that you require.
    If you would like to get in touch with me send me a e-mail to :mad::mad::mad: :j
    Spaaaaaaam!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I still can't believe that people are commenting on threads that were started nearly 4 yaers ago
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    phill99 wrote: »
    I still can't believe that people are commenting on threads that were started nearly 4 yaers ago

With attention to detail like that you have to question what sort of job they would do...

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • stehanson
    stehanson Posts: 12 Forumite
    While I know its an old thread, it still contains usefull info...
    I can polish of an average room in that one day including moderate filling, preparation and minor repairs, inclusive of undercoating all woodworks and 2 good coats of emulsion on the walls and ceilings. .

Dave - not sure if you still use this forum but im curious to know how you can do all that in a day? - not from a time constraight but from a drying time angle?

Coat the ceiling you got a wet edge to dry before the wall is 1st coated, where the two meet, then you have to wait till wall 1st coat dries, before application of second coat, then the second coat has to dry before you can touch the skirts which you will have lapped onto!? - even if you cut in perfect they would have to meet to save any missed area!
    just curious!!
    Cheers Ste
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    £6.00 an hour? Got a quality Tradesman then.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure