Part-time student needs advise

After raising my child alone for 20 years and always working, I now have been offered a place at University. The degree is part time over 4 and 1/2 years and is an NHS course. So.........The tuition fees are paid by the NHS, I have an application in for the Bursary they award ( which doesn't even cover my rent) but what else can i get? I was working as a temp, but this ended 2 weeks ago so I have claimed JSA as a short term thing. As my daughter works, they take her income into account when calculating housing and council tax benefit and so half of my JSA will have to go on the shortfall . If I mention the University place they will put restrictions on my JSA, not that i want to be on this for long anyway. But........If i get a job, i won't get housing or council tax benefit and this will reduce the already small bursary as it is income related and is reduced because i am going to study part time. As a part time student i cannot get a maintenance loan or grant and i can't go to student finance as this is for tuition fees. HELP:(

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your daughter works so should be (is) able to pay her share of the rent and bills. If she is currently paying you nothing, or a nominal amount, now is the time to get her to pay her share.

If your degree is PT you can work PT, and FT during the holidays.

All students have this problem I'm afraid.......
  • Hi

My daughter does contribute to bills etc, and I would prefer to work rather than be at home. I am just wondering if there are any other grants like one I saw on the Uni website for low income households I may be entitled to . I have asked the Uni finance dept but they just said they weren't sure.

I guess I need to sit down and do some lists and adding up on what i can live on. I would much rather work and have applied for over 40 jobs in the last few days.
  • Acc72
    Acc72 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Hi OP,

This question has been asked many times before - spend some time reading through the archive of the Benefits and Student boards on this site and I am sure you will find the answers you need.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Couldn't you do the course full time so that you could get the loan, grant and bursary for it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure