Walk 1000 miles

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 December 2016 at 2:19PM
    Ilona wrote: »
    I am going to do four days of extra walking in the countryside this month, for a change. I will take an OS map with me and highlight the route I take, then I can plot it out on bikehike when I get back and it will tell me how far I have walked. I love maps and map reading so this is the best option for me.

Ilona

plotaroute.com is quite good for that too. You can set it to show paths and autoroute :)
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    indesisiv wrote: »
    plotaroute.com is quite good for that too. You can set it to show paths and autoroute :)

Thanks for that. Your link didn't work but I found it. Looks interesting, will look at it later, going out now.
    https://www.plotaroute.com/

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just seen this thread now! I got a FitBit in May, and have just started logging all of my stats on a spreadsheet. From mid May to end of November, I have walked a total of 818 miles. Might try this for next year, or even for the 2000 miles in a year! Or, how about 5,000,000 steps in a year (around 13,700 a day!)
  • indesisiv
    ShaneUK wrote: »
    Just seen this thread now! I got a FitBit in May, and have just started logging all of my stats on a spreadsheet. From mid May to end of November, I have walked a total of 818 miles. Might try this for next year, or even for the 2000 miles in a year! Or, how about 5,000,000 steps in a year (around 13,700 a day!)

Always worth having a target. I've managed over 1,000,000 steps since I picked up my watch in August. So why not 5,000,000 if you are fairly active.
    I don't have step targets as my target this year has been to run at least 30 miles per week and next year it will be up to 50 miles a week as I get closer to my marathon. But could easily see myself getting close to the 5 million steps next year.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    ShaneUK wrote: »

Good idea. Not sure I'd make 5,000,000 a year, 4 probably. For the really organised, there could be two totals, the overall figure from walks and day to day pootling and a total comprising of just the walks.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    I have suggested before that different devices, systems and apps will give different results.
    Don't be afraid that your step total was x hundred or y thousand and NOT z million.
    It about comparing YOU with YOU.
    So if last week your particulat app, system, device says XXX and this week you did XXX+ 10. WELL DONE.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    I started doing some deliveries this week and I have been wearing my tracker while doing this, up to 40 miles already.

Good points and bad points to report though, I wear a waterproof jacket with elasticated sleeve cuffs and found that when I wear the cuff over the watch to keep the rain off, it has a habit of activating the back light and draining the battery :eek: I lost about a mile yesterday as the watch cut off before I finished my route, I was then that I realised what had been happening with the light :o

On the other hand today I drove the car about half a mile without pausing my tracker so it registered the distance AND the speed meaning that for the mile that included that section of driving I was walking at 5.6 mph :rotfl:
  • indesisiv
    Good points and bad points to report though, I wear a waterproof jacket with elasticated sleeve cuffs and found that when I wear the cuff over the watch to keep the rain off, it has a habit of activating the back light and draining the battery :eek: I lost about a mile yesterday as the watch cut off before I finished my route, I was then that I realised what had been happening with the light :o

I used to have that issue with the lap button on mine, everytime I went for the watch it set a lap. Ended up just creating a different app profile for running in the cold which had the manual lap turned off.

Never had a problem with the light though, but can you not lock the buttons? I thought every watch has a lock function.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I used to have that issue with the lap button on mine, everytime I went for the watch it set a lap. Ended up just creating a different app profile for running in the cold which had the manual lap turned off.

Never had a problem with the light though, but can you not lock the buttons? I thought every watch has a lock function.

I have not been able to find a way to lock the button, it is forever tripping over to the next screen or turning the light on.
    The one good thing is that it cant pause without holding the button on so I am unlikely to lose any readings that way.

I posted on the help site about the backlight being too easy to trigger but I have never got a response as yet.
  • indesisiv
    edited 8 December 2016 at 3:21PM
    I have not been able to find a way to lock the button, it is forever tripping over to the next screen or turning the light on.

Which watch did you end up with?
    Edit: Nevermind I found the thread where you mentioned it.

Strangely you can't lock the tom tom runners ... seems a bit of an oversight to me. The only thing you can do is make it so that it needs a longer press to stop and pause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport