PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat well for less - series 4

I can't see a thread for this, I think it was the first episode last night (just come back from hols so not sure).

The Caan family seemed nice, but were spending £14k per year on food. Including a massive £80 per week on takeaways (2 adults, 2 kids). :eek:

The visit to the nutritionist showed the massive amounts of salt and fat and calories that is in takeaways.
A pizza had 2800 calories.

They did a recipe for home-made lamb doner which saved the family a fortune and sounded really nice.

I might try it - will need to buy a loaf tin first though.

I've been critical of previous series but I actually quite enjoyed the programme - although I still find Greg Wallace irritating. :p

Comments

• mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Oh I missed this as I was at work ... Think I might try to catch up at the weekend ��

Can I ask what the dinner recipie was
    Thanks a million LISA
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Oh, just checked BBC and it was the 2nd programme in the series.
    Recipes here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b0520lz9
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I missed it. Not a programme I rush to watch as they tend to find families so wealthy that they spend more than one person's annual income on food!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    .... £14k per year on food. Including a massive £80 per week on takeaways (2 adults, 2 kids).
    Blimey. To have £14k in your pocket to spend, you have to earn a lot more than that as it's post tax.

I spent £7.30 on a takeaway last Sunday - it did for 3 days' main meals!

Pollycat wrote: »
    I might try it - will need to buy a loaf tin first though.
    No, just bake it in a foil wrap. Any dish will do - you shave/slice donner to serve anyway.

I oven bake it, or even SC bake it.
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Like all them sort of programmes, i can't believe that people spend so much, then throw half in the bin.
  • Just caught the tail end and the stir fry looked really lovely. Will have to watch it on catchup
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 15 June 2017 at 2:56PM
    Gah, watching the first episode.

Not just they spend so much, seriously £160+/week for a family of 4 average, eight odd grand a year!

The thing that caught my eye as someone who works on checkouts is when people open foods before they've bought it. It's horrible. Wait a few minutes for goodness sake. The amount of times the customer doesn't tell me something is open and it goes everywhere when I scan it as I've had to tilt etc the product, or have put my fingers into the pack is stupid. Then the customer has the nerve to complain! Before paying it essentially stealing. If you are paying by card it could be declined/the service go down etc and if you have no cash you have consumed something without giving payment; stealing. Even if cash I've had people not have enough money for everthing, put backs are common, and that item you've just snacked into could have been the amount you went over by and now something essential has to be left behind. Yes I've seen this. Instant gratification bites people in the but.

When my OH is really hungry he'll pick up a sandwich or something, pay for it, eat it and then shop! We would never eat something before payment.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I could hardly believe the father! He keeps the fridge packed to the gills - and did I hear correctly - they had £400 worth of food in the kitchen BEFORE they went shopping?????

I do wonder where these families they find have been living!

Last night, the family (Caans?) ate a soup made from veggies which had just hit their best-before-date...and were surprised how tasty it was...honestly, they never thought of this before?....I have a slow-cooker and keep a tub filled with 'soup-mix' (dried beans and pulses...sometimes pasta) which can be added to whatever veg I have handy....cheap and filling meals - especially welcome in colder weather.

And HOW MUCH were those take-aways??????...I admit I occasionally buy a ready-made pizza (deep pan base.....BBQ sauce....no cheese....prawns (or bacon)...mixed peppers...double pineapple ...extra garlic)...but it is a treat! ....Indian and Chinese are easy enough to cook at home - and you know EXACTLY what is in them! (no salt in my stir-fries until I add a small splash of soy or chilli sauce ..and minimal fat)...I admit the doner recipe DID look good!

I always enjoy the drop-a-brand challenge part....such a simple thing, but consistently people swear they can tell the difference and are proved sooooooo wrong! ....although I have yet to find a 'bargain' tea or coffee that I am willing to swap to - I have tried a few but bleargh!....generic diet-pop (when I drink it) is just as good as big brands...and own-label popcorn (my go-to snack treat of choice) is every bit as good as the big names at a fraction of the cost
  • We never buy take aways, we might just occasionally get fish and chips as a meal in Sainsbugs, they cook to order and the f & c's are delicious. I just could not justify buying something I can make cheaper myself.

I wish I had £14,000 to spend on food, thats only £3,000 less than our total income for the year!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't have £14k a year to live on let alone waste on junk food
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I missed the start so don't know what job(s) they had.
    Just watched the first bit on i-player.
    They run their own marketing company from home.

JackieO - given your other thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5610017
    you'd have a heart attack at the amount of food they throw away. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills