Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Comments

• I've always had some sort of BIK HairyHand. Basically we have a system whereby we are given X amount on top of our salary to use towards a selection of benefits e.g. critical illness insurance, childcare vouchers etc, it's down to what you want to select. Most of mine goes on my medical insurance but I have to pay tax on it. We changed benefits provider over a year ago and have also switched medical insurers. The new plan penalises you on age so I'm paying a lot more than I used to so the tax is higher. I've got to the point where I don't want to drop it in case I really do need it! I've used it to see two consultants already this year. The other annoying thing is that any surplus cash you don't use goes straight into your company pension but I hardly have any surplus over these days. :( I'm still going to check out HMRC's calculation though.

Anyway it's pay day tomorrow so have been sorting out my budget for the month and bashing figures into YNAB!

Looking back on Scrimpy September the positives and negatives were:

Negatives:
    - horrendous dental bill to come!:eek:
    - awful tax bill!:(
    - lost Fitbit!:mad:

Positives:
    - my emergency fund which will cover the cost of the dentist. In the good old days I would be running up the bill on my credit card. :)
    - very, very lucky to have medical insurance as I've been able to see consultants and have scan/ X-ray promptly.
    - lovely, helpful advice on Fitbit from my virtual friends which may mean I'll get a new one; :)
    - little scrimpy things that will build up - discount on annual Railcard, starting online surveys, rebates from BBC store, extra Cashback on Co-op shop.

Also treated to lovely meal by friends AND my gym is going well and I've been sticking to it so at least there must be some muscle developing somewhere!:D

SSG x

Stick with the surveys they do pay trust me, some days there will be nothing other days loads.

Perserverence

And if your buying it online use top cashback, i tried quidco and its obvious how they as a company make there money :-(
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Good to look at the positives seasidegal.

Not long till your holiday!

Crunchy xx
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • Hope you had a better day today SG and have a great holiday :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,278 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Happy holiday, make sure you relax and forget about it all xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Thanks everybody! I'm at the hotel at the airport. I'm getting up at an unearthly time in the morning so set iPad alarm for 3am and iPhone alarm for 3.15am! So nervous I'll oversleep:eek: And of course I don't feel tired yet:mad:

Last night I worked late to tidy up and make notes for the lad who will be helping out the boss while I'm away (he's rung me today already!). Had pedicure and nails done today so feel a bit more human! Had nightmare long conversations with my travel insurer because I thought I'd better let them know about my consultant visits. Needless to say if my blood pressure was raised before the calls it has probably zoomed of the Richter Scale now!:mad: Anyway at least I'm insured for this trip!

I picked up an extra £323 in the pay packet this month because my season ticket loan from work which is taken out over 10 months finished last month so the extra cash has gone towards the holiday. However I had euros left from my last trip abroad and this holiday is near enough all inclusive so I shouldn't be spending much.

So I'm off to bed now!

SSG x

P.S lovely Fitbit people are sending me a new Fitbit!!!!:j:j:j:j thanks everyone for your advice.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Fab news re the Fitbit. Their customer service is wonderful.

Have a lovely holiday :) I'm the same as you with holiday alarms, convinced I won't wake up on time. At least this time the flight is 9am, need to be at the airport for 7am, so perfect time :)
  • Brilliant news about the Fitbit :j:j.

Hope you manage to sleep and have an amazing holiday :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • I hope you have a wonderful holiday, and that's brilliant news about the fitbit, I might consider buying one now!
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks everyone:wave::wave:

Well got back from trip last night. Walked through the door at 11.15pm - had a full on day - Roman archeological site in the morning, lunch and then walked up and down Vesuvius and drove on to airport! :eek: rest of the trip was fantastic including all day at Pompeii and then other small sites and a trip down the Amalfi coast.

Still trying to work out how I spent €139 when the trip was all inclusive - but costume ring and two lovely linen scarves for me, tip for chambermaid, food and alcohol bits to take into work and for DD and DSis, lemon soaps for Xmas pressies, and drinks probably made it up! I did save on the drinks bill though as we were all shattered at the end of each day, had dinner then went to bed! Met some lovely people on the trip as well.

So had nice lie-in today, did some washing and I'm at home till Friday when I'm off to visit DD for the weekend. I'm at the gym this evening and will hopefully straighten out some of the stiffness from the big hike yesterday.

Just over £20 is winging its way to me from PA survey site so that can go towards the dental bill! Still building up on the other sites though with quite a bit to go.

Signing off now but will be back later to catch up with diaries.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Welcome home SSG - glad you had a fab time :) Sounds like you're straight back on the wagon too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure