IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued
    incorrectly.
    The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any
    evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any
    evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.
    Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    incorrectly.

PPC name please - otherwise there's not much for anyone to go on. We've seen numerous decisions as above; the name of the PPC sets it in some context.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 13 June 2014 at 4:21PM
    I believe this one was our loyal and faithful PE as he posted on original thread too. Another PSDSU. Getting a lot of these from PE at POPLA lately it seems.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • Umkomaas
    Dee140157 wrote: »
    I believe this one was out loyal and faithful PE as he posted on original thread too. Another PSDSU. Getting a lot of these from PE at POPLA lately it seems.

Thanks Dee! It's important to have the PPC name. This thread and the OP's original thread are very close to each other presently on the index page, but the original one will now rapidly slide down the forum while this one will always hover around page 1.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Just for completeness, there was a non compliant signage point made to POPLA but the assessor for unknown reason did not pick up on this point. Furthermore CEL did not send their evidence pack to the Appellant, although after a request to POPLA they now have a copy.
    Also in the evidence pack CEL state that they did send - lost in post I guess. So due to this, various complaints to various organisations. The Appellant is not holding their breath though
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What are you on?????

• XXXXXXX (Appellant)

-v-

Vehicle Control Services Limited (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number VC0XXXXXX arising out of the presence at Northern Quarter, on 9 XXXXXX 2014, of a vehicle with registration mark XXXXXXX.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]allowed. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT]
    The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT]
    It is the Operator’s case that a parking charge notice was correctly issued, giving the reason as:
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]‘Parked after the expiry of time in a pay and display car park’[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT]. The Operator submits that a parking charge is now due in accordance with the clearly displayed terms of parking.

It is the Appellant’s case that:

a) The parking charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of the loss which could have been caused by the alleged breach.

b) The Operator does not have sufficient authority to issue a parking charge notice in relation to the land in question.

The Operator submits that the charge does in fact represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Alternatively, the Operator submits that if the charge is not found to be a genuine pre-estimate of loss, it is nevertheless enforceable as it is commercially justified. The Operator has submitted a number of cases in support of its submissions.

Firstly, I do not accept the Operator’s submission that the charge represents a genuine pre-estimate of loss. A detailed breakdown of each head of loss will not always be required, but the Operator must provide some explanation as to how it arrives at its final sum. The Operator has not explained in any detail how the sum of £166.69 is arrived at before it is reduced to £100. The explanation provided by the Operator also appears to include general operational costs and costs which could not possibly be incurred as a direct result of the alleged breach. Without any explanation as to how the sum is arrived at it is not clear whether these unrelated costs are significant or not. Accordingly, I am not satisfied that the Operator has shown the charge of £100 is arrived at by a genuine attempt to pre-estimate its loss.

Further, I am not minded to accept that the charge in this case is commercially justified. In each case that I have seen from the higher courts, including those presented here by the Operator, it is made clear that a charge cannot be commercially justified where the dominant purpose of the charge is to deter the other party from breach. This is most clearly stated in
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Lordsvale Finance Plc v Bank of Zambia [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT][1996] QB 752, quoted approvingly at paragraph 15 in [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Cine Bes Filmcilik Ve Yapimcilik & Anor v United International Pictures & Ors [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT][2003] EWHC Civ 1669 when Coleman J states a clause should not be struck down as a penalty, 3 12 June 2014

"
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]if the increase could in the circumstances be explained as commercially justifiable, provided always that its dominant purpose was not to deter the other party from breach". [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT]
    This supports the principle that the aim of damages is to be compensatory, beginning with the idea that the aim is to put the parties in the position they would have been in had the contract been performed. It also seems that courts have been unwilling to allow clauses designed to deter breach as this undermines the binding nature of the initial promise made. Whilst the courts have reasonably moved away from a strict interpretation of what constitutes a genuine pre-estimate of loss, recognising that in complex commercial situations an accurate pre-estimate will not always be possible, nevertheless it remains that a charge for damages must be compensatory in nature rather than punitive.

In this case, it is clear that the dominant purpose of the charge is to deter parking for longer than the time paid for. Accordingly, I am not satisfied that the charge can be commercially justified.

Given that the charge is not commercially justified, nor has it been shown to be a genuine pre-estimate of loss, I accept on this occasion the Appellant’s submission that it is not enforceable.

Accordingly, I must allow the appeal.

I need not decide any other issues.
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]
    Christopher Adamson
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT]
    Assessor
  • Umkomaas
    Christopher Adamson once again debunking HHJ Moloney's view of 'commercial justification'.

He really seems to be making a stand in this regard. Good on him!

• My recent decision v UKCPS:

(Appellant)

-v-
    UKCPS Limited (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXXXX arising out of the presence at XXXXXX, on XXXXX 2014, of a vehicle with registration mark XXXXXX.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed. The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Parking on Private Land Appeals is administered by the Transport and Environment Committee of London Councils

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXXX arising out of the presence at XXXXX, on XXXXX 2014, of a vehicle with
    registration mark XXXXX. The Operator recorded that the vehicle was parked outside of a marked parking bay which is not authorised.

The Appellant has made various representations; I have not dealt with them all as I am allowing this appeal on the following ground.

It is the Appellant’s case that the amount of the parking charge notice does not represent a genuine pre – estimate of loss caused by her breach.

The Operator has responded by stating that the charge is a genuine pre-estimate of loss. The Operator has provided a table showing the losses they have incurred as a result of the Appellant’s breach. I find that the table does reflect losses incurred in relation to the appeal process. I note that the Operator states their initial loss to be the cost of the warden and associated vehicle costs.

Whilst I appreciate that in some cases e.g. where the car park is a pay and display one, the issuing of the parking charge notice may be held to be an initial loss, however, in this circumstance the car park is free and therefore I find that there is no initial loss caused here. The Operator has not shown that by parking outside of a marked bay, the Appellant at that point caused a loss to themselves or the landowner. The Operator has only shown that they incurred the loss as a result of the appeals process after issuing the parking charge notice. In order for a charge to be a genuine pre-estimate of loss, the Operator has to show that they at first have incurred an initial loss by the Appellants’ breach directly.

Considering carefully, all the evidence before me, I find that as the Operator has not shown that they have incurred an initial loss as a result of the Appellant’s breach, the charge sought is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.

Marina Kapour

Assessor
  • abenham2020
    abenham2020 Posts: 10 Forumite
    incorrectly.

Parking Eye Ltd. Sorry I copied the entire pdf but only seemed to copy the last page.
    Shehla Pirwany was also the Assessor.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure