Basic Bank Account & Debit Card Update

Comments

• sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Summary of my rant: Maestro is good because of wide acceptance, but always ensure you have enough in your account to cover purchases as there's a chance the money will be taken anyway, leaving you in the red, overdraft facility or not!.

Well said. I always keep an eye on my balance daily so the Maestro Card is a welcome upgrade :)
  • max2002ad
    max2002ad Posts: 303 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    What do you need to open this basic bank account ?
    My Motto in Life:

Make Every Penny Count !!!!
  • Lucymiss
    Lucymiss Posts: 43 Forumite
    I too have the Yorkshire Bank's Readycash account and it's certainly a Maestro card!! Can now use it on the Trainline and have used it on National Express (who don't accept Electron) I've used in in Morrison's Supermarket and it comes up as Switch. What a great idea of YB to issue Maestro cards on their basic accounts, I had problems with the Electron card.

Lucy
    :beer:
    A REFORMED Credit Addict*
  • We dont have one near us:confused: This would be ideal for my sister and SIL.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • sgx.saint
    What do you need to open this basic bank account ?

A form of photographic ID, i.e. Passport or Driving Licence and proof of address i.e. Council Tax Bill. A basic credit check is then carried out on yourself just basically to confirm who you are and hey presto the account is opened :)
    We dont have one near us This would be ideal for my sister and SIL.

Is their a Clydesdale Bank near you? If so they are a sister bank to YB and they offer the same account (different name) and probably offer therefore the Maestro Card too.
  • sgx.saint wrote:
    Hey All.

Just thought I would share this information with you.

I just opened a Yorkshire Bank - ReadyCash Account (Basic Bank Account) and I was told by the lady who opened my account that all new ReadyCash accounts now come supplied with a Dual Function Card, in this case a Switch/Maestro.

Which to me is absolutely fantastic news as there are only a small handful of banks which offer basic banking facilities and supply a debit card. I hope this information helps people who are desperately after a debit card function and are unable to open accounts with other providers for whatever reasons.

Thanks

SGX

I didn't actually know Yorkshire Bank did a visa electron card, Do they actually advertise this or is it a new area for them? When i was changing banks recently i chose CO OP because they have a debit card, but not many do. Natwest was out of the question but i do know they have a debit card account for poor credit ratings. I found no advertising for Yorkshire bank and a debit card, obviously looking in the wrong place again:confused: .
  • sgx.saint
    I didn't actually know Yorkshire Bank did a visa electron card, Do they actually advertise this or is it a new area for them? When i was changing banks recently i chose CO OP because they have a debit card, but not many do. Natwest was out of the question but i do know they have a debit card account for poor credit ratings. I found no advertising for Yorkshire bank and a debit card, obviously looking in the wrong place again .

They dont offer a Visa Electron, they now offer a full blown Maestro (i.e. Switch) Debit Card.

:)
  • msaquib
    msaquib Posts: 717 Forumite
    Can you apply for an Readycash account over the phone or by post?

SM
  • sgx.saint
    Can you apply for an Readycash account over the phone or by post?

As far as I am aware, you can only apply in Branch. But as I said before, if there is no YB near you, try looking for your nearest Clydesdale as they will most likely offer the same card on their version of the account.
  • sgx.saint wrote:
    They dont offer a Visa Electron, they now offer a full blown Maestro (i.e. Switch) Debit Card.

:)

For people with POOR credit ratings?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family