No wonder people fly tip!

Comments

• savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    swingaloo wrote: »

I mentioned fly tipping as quite often in the area there are very often mattresses and couches left in the lane where I cut through on my way to work probably dumped there because people cant afford or cant be bothered to dispose of them the correct way.
    Funnily enough, I've been saying the same thing lately! Just had a badly needed kitchen renovation done, and apparently we had just missed the cut off date for their new charge for rubble. Now I can understand trade having to pay, but for the rare times I have to dump a small amount of rubble, I don't particularly want to pay out extra on top of my increasing council tax for the recycling centre.......already galling they bought in a charge recently to take your garden waste.

And somebody may well come in here and lecture me about me not wanting to pay more......don't worry, the broken tiles went in under the kitchen floor :p but I ask you this, when it came to dumping a foot long of coving, it was classed as plasterboard. Fair enough, where do I put it, well it's £6 a bag.........urm right but this little bit isn't anywhere near a bag full :rotfl:Yes but it's still £6 for us to take it!! So that also came home with me, got broken up and put in the wheely bin - and I wanted to dispose of it correctly :(

So in my eyes the OP is very correct, as I am already seeing an increase in flytipping in my area since these new obscure charges, that I'm not even convinced the council get the money from some of our local recycling characters!
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

Our council..... £25/yr for garden bin.
    You're lucky!!! Ours just went from £35 to £45 per year :(:(
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    swingaloo wrote: »
    That's not necessarily so. Householders in our borough can only go free if they are in a car. Any large items needing a van incur the £90 plus fee.

I know there is no excuse for fly tipping but a lot of households simply cannot afford these charges.

Our council charges private owners or renters but council tenants have free collection; unfair as not all council tenants are poor and some are better off than private renters.
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No car here (health prevents driving) so the local tip is out of bounds. I have to pay someone with a waste license to collect items and then they have to go to a different 'commercial tip'. If I pay someone they can't use the local tip.

Locals who drive vans can get a permit (free) for their own waste but are limited to 6 trips a year. They wont give me this permit to give to the person who does my rubbish removal.

This gets really expensive,

We also pay for our green garden bin as I love gardening.
  • Put it on freecycle and give it away.

Even if people just want it for fire wood, problem solved.

Not much of a business brain your son.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Where I used to live, the local tip was only open 9am-4pm M-F and 8am-12pm Sat. Useless for me as I worked during the week and Saturday was a constant queue. Was in the queue for an hour and a half (couldn't turn round as queue was in the one way slip road to the tip itself)

Discovered a tip in the next council area only 7 miles away and was open 8-8 every day from April to September and 9-6 other times.

I went to the latter tip from then on til I moved out of the area.

I did see a fair amount of fly tipping on the country roads about 2 miles from the first tip
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Put it on freecycle and give it away.

Even if people just want it for fire wood, problem solved.

Not much of a business brain your son.

Well thanks for that useless rude comment.
    Just so you know-

Anything that will sell is sold.
    Anything that is usable but not worth selling is given to charity.
    Anything that charities cant accept because of fire regulations etc is given away on freecycle.

Not many people want old style televisions any more even if they are free
    Not many people want a used mattress any more
    and despite offering countless wooden fire surrounds and old settees on freecycle no one seems to want them even for firewood.

Not very well thought out your idea was it.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite

My mate is a decorator and they tried to do him for not having a Waste Carriers Licence....said the empty tin in the back of the van that he kept his brushes in and the carrier bag on the gearstick [which contained his empty sandwich holder] was 'commercial waste'......I shi7 you not.
    And they are correct as any waste generated by a business is 'commercial waste', if he is a decorator paint tins he disposes of are 'commercial waste' and if he goes to a recycle depot is a works van then yes he needs a waste carriers licence
  • Stop nit picking - he said one can and one carrier bag FGS! - He could have just thrown them out of the window. This is red tape gone mad.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If the mate was using the tin/bag for a purpose, and wasn't trying to discard them, how was that even waste?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure