The hidden reason Amazon is paying Clarkson & co so much for Top Gear

Options
MSE_Eesha
MSE_Eesha Posts: 162 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• nomoneytoday
    Options
    Maybe they could also buy something like Corrie, thus gaining millions of customers ;)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ha! I'd never really thought about it, but that's a very erudite analysis. It certainly makes sense.

I don't watch much TV (or like Top Gear), and I don't mind waiting a whole two days or so (eek!) for deliveries, so Amazon Prime has never appealed to me.
  • lonestar1
    Options
    Don't forget the official merchandise all exclusive to amazon
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    lonestar1 wrote: »
    Don't forget the official merchandise all exclusive to amazon

Although the merchandise will be for the new show rather than "Top Gear" which will probably have more of a brand awareness value.

I agree, if you have forked out £79 to be an Amazon Prime member (although how more popular would it be if Amazon did a monthly prime membership for say £7.99 a month?) you will most likely try and get your moneys worth with free delivery.
  • Following the tax evasion issue and the revelations that they treat their warehouse staff pretty awfully, the recent New York Times expos[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT] that revealed they also treat their office staff abominably was the last straw for me. I[FONT=&quot]'d rather not support an organisation that I'm no[FONT=&quot]w fully aware[/FONT] explo[FONT=&quot]its[FONT=&quot] its workers even more so than other major corporations[FONT=&quot], so I'm [FONT=&quot]cutting ties with them.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The [FONT=&quot]next[FONT=&quot]-day P[FONT=&quot]rime deli[FONT=&quot]very is[FONT=&quot] j[FONT=&quot]ust instilling a sense [FONT=&quot]in the con[FONT=&quot]sumer that they need it so they must have it. [FONT=&quot]Is it [FONT=&quot]really that impor[FONT=&quot]tant if [FONT=&quot]it takes a couple of days l[FONT=&quot]onger for[FONT=&quot] that book or blu-ray to arri[FONT=&quot]ve? Whe[FONT=&quot]n I had Prime as a paying member, [FONT=&quot]my ne[FONT=&quot]x[FONT=&quot]t-day book deliver[FONT=&quot]ies would often sit there for over a week before I even cracked the book[FONT=&quot]'s [/FONT]spine. I decided [FONT=&quot]I couldn't justify indirec[FONT=&quot]tly making other people's lives a m[FONT=&quot]ise[FONT=&quot]ry just to have a book arrive on the off-chance I might want to start reading it 2[FONT=&quot]4 hours after ordering it.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Following the tax evasion issue and the revelations that they treat their warehouse staff pretty awfully, the recent New York Times expos[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT] that revealed they also treat their office staff abominably was the last straw for me. I[FONT=&quot]'d rather not support an organisation that I'm no[FONT=&quot]w fully aware[/FONT] explo[FONT=&quot]its[FONT=&quot] its workers even more so than other major corporations[FONT=&quot], so I'm [FONT=&quot]cutting ties with them.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The [FONT=&quot]next[FONT=&quot]-day P[FONT=&quot]rime deli[FONT=&quot]very is[FONT=&quot] j[FONT=&quot]ust instilling a sense [FONT=&quot]in the con[FONT=&quot]sumer that they need it so they must have it. [FONT=&quot]Is it [FONT=&quot]really that impor[FONT=&quot]tant if [FONT=&quot]it takes a couple of days l[FONT=&quot]onger for[FONT=&quot] that book or blu-ray to arri[FONT=&quot]ve? Whe[FONT=&quot]n I had Prime as a paying member, [FONT=&quot]my ne[FONT=&quot]x[FONT=&quot]t-day book deliver[FONT=&quot]ies would often sit there for over a week before I even cracked the book[FONT=&quot]'s [/FONT]spine. I decided [FONT=&quot]I couldn't justify indirec[FONT=&quot]tly making other people's lives a m[FONT=&quot]ise[FONT=&quot]ry just to have a book arrive on the off-chance I might want to start reading it 2[FONT=&quot]4 hours after ordering it.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I assume you also don't buy anything from China/India and every other mass manufacturing country then? Including but not limited to everything. Shoes, clothes, electronics.

Do you really think their working conditions are better than Amazons?

For me Amazon is great and easy, easily best customer service out there and live chat option. For example, I would never touch eBuyer who reward staff for refusing returns for any reason they can think of.
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not a great TV watcher, I don't have any paid for channels and I'm not that keen on Top Gear (as it was) but my children are and I have been known to watch with them and even be amused on occasion. I frequently use catch-up TV to watch something of interest at my convenience.
    I've never been prepared to pay for shopping delivery, and am happy to wait until I have sufficient items combined, in order to qualify for the 'minimum £20 spend' for free delivery. All of which makes me an unlikely candidate for "Prime."
    I am after all "a money saver."
    HOWEVER... GT and £57 (little over £1/week) for a year's subscription was enough to tip the balance for me to try it. Not least because what is shown on TV is so dire that the streaming service might be of use.
    It will be interesting at the end of the year to see whether I renew the subscription.

Declaration of interest: I do have a small holding of Amazon shares in my SIPP.
    (My eternal thanks to DunstonH:beer: for the advice on this site about SIPPs and the tax savings to be made.)
  • babystep
    Options
    I am a Prime member,and I do shop elsewhere and I am seriously reconsidering re joining next year.I cannot stand Clarkson and hate to think I am helping keep this person on TV.If,as I am sure you have done,you add up over the year,the 5p here and 50p there that you pay extra for your goods on Prime I found it not very good value for money ....then I discovered Kodi so Amazon Prime now seems a little overpriced and outdated!:D
  • GingerBob_3
    Options
    I'm a BOABE - Browse on Amazon, Buy Elsewhere. Amazon's website is great, but if I can do so I'll go to another website to buy (and not via an Amazon referral). For books you can nearly always buy cheaper at Books Etc.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Prime used to be good as everything we ordered would be tracked and delivered very well by DPD. Until they switched to Amazon Logistics a couple of moths ago, and now it's like getting stuff delivered by HDNL again.

Today I was sat at home and got a note from the amazon app to say my parcel had been delivered.

Strange. No door bell.

Nothing in the preferred safe place

Ah found it - had been left leaning against the gate.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure