Practical Car/Van Rental Caerphilly -AVOID !!!

paulfoel
paulfoel Posts: 5,811
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hired a mini-bus yesterday to take my son and some of his friends to Snowdome in Tamworth for his birthday.

Mini-bus we had from these people was a complete shed. Never hired a vehicle in such a bad state or repair.

Battery flat twice. Took ages to jump start it - we missed our first booking at snowdome. Cost me £40 to pay again. Then had to jump start it again to come home.

Took ages to get the bonnet open. Bonnet release had snapped. Had to phone hire company for them to tell me about the temporary cable tie on the front I had to pull to open the bonnet.

Heaters stuck on hot. It was warm yesterday and the kids were boiling in the bus - had to drive with the windows open.

Worse thing is the company did not give a toss at all. All they did was argue that there was nothing wrong with their bus as if I was making it up !!!

Took it back this morning and complained again. No use at all - they pretty much said they dont give a toss !!!!

Avoid these cowboys at all cost !!!!
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• I did hear they were closing down, then seemed to have a new lease of life.
    They advertise regularly in the Caerphilly Campaign newspaper, maybe worth a phone call to the Campaign explaining your experience as I know they also do a lot of promotions with them.

Sadly have heard them same before about this place.
    £2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
    Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145
  • paulfoel
    Forumite
    Used to be called Caerphilly Commercials apparently before changing to Practical.

Completely useless...
  • myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Isn't Practical Car/Van hire a franchise organisation? if so, this caerphilly branch must be causing dreadful problems for other franchisee's.
    It may be worth speaking to another branch of Practical to see if they can give you the name of the best person to complain to in the main company.
  • any websites to find cheap van rental?
  • reggie
    reggie Posts: 202
    Forumite
    We used a good one in Taffs Well, didn't seem too bad pricewise. Think it was 123 Van hire - something like that!
  • paulfoel
    Forumite
    Update

Complained in writing to the Caerphilly branch but they didnt even bother to reply to me.

Sent copy of complaint to head office who contacted me and promised to investigate.

They've recently contacted me and got a part refund of £44. Not great but something.

However, they did try to make out I was lying about some of the complaints I had raised with the branch. I'm guessing they were just passing on what the branch said.

They also mentioned that they were not happy about my comments on the internet - meaning here I presume - before this matter was sorted .

Sorry, Practical, I did try and sort this out first (With the branch), I only commented after they ignored my complaint and I was forced to contact head office.

However, since I'm also free to express my opinion as I choose to services I've paid for, then I will say this.

Practical head office did make an attempt to sort the issue out it must be said. I'm hoping, therefore, that other Practical franchises are better than this, but, personally, I will certainly not entertain the idea of doing business with Practical Caerphilly ever again, and would certainly advise anyone else to do the same.

In my opinion, poor vehicles, poor service, bad attitude, and dont deal with complaints...
  • For top tips and advice when hiring a van visit Van hire Guide <<< Google it
    Its free and impartial :money:
  • Sassers
    Sassers Posts: 1,303
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    paulfoel wrote: »

In my opinion, poor vehicles, poor service, bad attitude, and dont deal with complaints...

Hi there Paul - as they are hiring out vehicles to the public they need Ministry of Transport accreditation - i.e: an Operators Licence. There is a Ministry place near Talbot Green/Miskin. Try giving them a ring. They are known in the trade as `wheel tappers and shunters' and they put the fear of god into lorry drivers/firms and coach companies.....Also try the national Health and Safety Executive who are based in Caerphilly. I'd try giving them a ring about these shysters..
    HTH
    Sassers x
    Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
    DEBT FREE!
  • paulfoel
    Forumite
    Bump...

Bad service deserves bad publicity...
  • Ebbe -Vale is a good place to hire vans and Lutons i hired a Luton there and it cost me £50 a day about 3 years ago its on the road from Beaufort to Ebbe-Vale and they have a small cars sales in front , sorry i cant remember the name but you cant miss it as its right after the traffic narrowing signs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure