Alliance & Leceicester Mortgage PPI claim

Is it possible to reclaim mis sold mortgage PPI given the bank concerned Alliance & Leicester no longer operate. If yes, How can I check, given the bank is not listed on Resolver? Thx for any help

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 March 2017 at 11:42AM
    Santander bought them out I believe and as far as PPI on a mortgage goes no idea but I think that you would struggle to get anything here, Before I get hammered for that comment it is my view only from other people I know who wrote to there own banks on mortgage PPI.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Yes, you would need to contact Santander.

I think most would agree with you Stevie, the uphold rate on MPPI complaints is low. Lisa, why do you feel you were missold?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Most A&L mortgages were arranged via brokers/advisers. Was yours? (its important as Santander have no liability for them).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thx for all responses. I had a repayment mortgage from about 1986 to 1996 that I arranged with A&L myself. I can recall ringing them up out payment protection costs each month and was told I had no choice it was part of standard mortgage costs that everyone has to pay. On a repayment only mortgage it was quite a large amount & that's why I paid the mortgage off as soon as I could. I probably still have all the statements somewhere and wondered if it was worth digging them out if A&L no longer operate or it was all too long ago.
  • dunstonh
    I had a repayment mortgage from about 1986 to 1996 that I arranged with A&L myself.

it is unlikely A&L sold MPPI in 1986.
    I can recall ringing them up out payment protection costs each month and was told I had no choice it was part of standard mortgage costs that everyone has to pay.

Are you sure it was PPI. In 1986, most lenders required life assurance as a condition of borrowing. Some people have mixed that up with PPI. Another thing it may have been is MIG. Again, people have mixed that up.
    Plus, 1986 is before depolarisation occurred with regulation in 1988. Most building societies didnt have own branded insurance products in 1986.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I think a trip in the loft to find the paperwork seems prudent
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think a trip in the loft to find the paperwork seems prudent
    Only if you want to confirm that you weren't (mis) sold PPI in 1986.
  • angiedavies
    angiedavies Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all. I ve had a small Halifax interest only mortgage since 2005. I wondered whether I might have a PPI on this? Also as far as credit cards are concerned, what years are relevant? wondering if one of mine was too late, 2008. thank you.
  • dunstonh
    I wondered whether I might have a PPI on this?

Are you paying a direct debit for MPPI?
    Also as far as credit cards are concerned, what years are relevant? wondering if one of mine was too late, 2008.

People with CCs have gone back to the early 90s.
  • angiedavies
    angiedavies Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    but until what date please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business