The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 December 2016 at 12:05PM
    ...and here I thought chocolate was a vegetable, being that it comes from a bean and all...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

...agree with you whole-heartedly in regard to treats! - we gave up crisps completely earlier this year (primarily for health reasons) but our special 'treat' for next weekend involves some posh prinkles! - the other 'treat' will be some marzipan fruits - both feel mighty special as they are not something we have regularly! - other than that it will be a freezer surprise or two or more over the holiday week as we continue our 'eat from the stores' self-challenge

...OH made a comment yesterday that seeing our fruitbowls filled up to overflowing made him think of his Mom at Christmas - for him, as a child, fruit in the winter was something very special & his Ma always made sure there was an overabundance for Chrimbo. (I hadn't the heart to tell him that family size bags are considerably more economical to purchase than any other option!;))

All this leaves me longing for the days when Christmas happiness was about simplicity...
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Good Morning :hello:
    rtandon27 wrote: »

All this leaves me longing for the days when Christmas happiness was about simplicity...

rtanton - oh how this comment struck a chord! I'm impressed with your eating from stores challenge. Even when we were 'just two' we bought 'extra' for chrimbo. I had started to change away from traditional type meals which was significantly simplifying the shopping list, but now everything has changed........ :rotfl:We are definitely having curry on Sunday though :D I was reading through a thread on the families board, discussing whether folk missed not having their grown-up children around for the festivities. Alot of people do, or intend to do many things 'different' to the norm. I am with everyone that doesn't agree with flying between relatives on xmas day 'just to keep everyone happy'.

So winter solstice. Shortest day today, but a return to the light from hereon in :j

Our meal tonight will sort of have the theme of 'east to west'. I'm improvising and haven't quite finalised everything yet, so it's all a bit 'free flow'. At this rate, it'll be chips and curry sauce from a takeaway!

I've a coffee date today, that I'm looking forward to. But I've nothing to take. I'm not sure about that, but I can't think of something spiffing which can be'used'. I think i am currently 'drowning' with all the plastic, superflous cr*p that is flowing into Greying Towers. Much of it with Baby Greying's name on it. I'm amazed at the kindness and generosity, but appalled at the levels of plastic. We cannot get on top of clearing the house, more stuff is just forcing its way in.................. :(

Right, best shift-a-tail-feather. I've tofu to press and marinade and possibly a bit of shopping to try to cram in.

Ta for your support. i hope you know how much you are appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Great reminder of days being on the turn. Thank you.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    GP - you don't have to keep all the plastic cr*p that people give to BG. You can always take it along to a playgroup or similar and donate it when you leave... (or maybe you could set up as a childminder to make use of it all!).

I have occasionally bought toys for my niece and nephew and friends' kids, but TBH they have the same problem with being given too many toys. So now I tend to ask the parents what they need. They tend to get PJs, clothes, books or craft-type gifts - and with my niece and nephew, the gifts often stay here (or go home for a bit and then migrate back...).

If people ask in future, have a list of needs. And if it comes up in conversation explain that you prefer to receive clothes/experiences (e.g. vouchers for activities) as you have limited space and BG is quite happy with saucepans and wooden spoons...). And if relatives insist on giving plastic, take it back to theirs next time you visit to demonstrate it's success and then insist on leaving it there so BG has something to play with next time :)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    :Twellsaid Greenbee:T

Seconded!

(A good friend of mine has not bought a single toy for her now 1 year old & often passes on unwanted/not needed gifts to charity - what is lovely is that she always thanks profusely with a written note & tells the giftee if it has been rehomed to someone who needs it more than her little fella - trains folks to ask what is needed or pay more attention to what is actually kept (touchy feely books for instance are a big hit!))
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • greenbee
    I regularly give PJs. My parents have adopted animals for the grandchildren this year because they wanted to learn about them... so they have a small cuddly toy and get letters about their animal.

BTW... I have just been told to turn the lights off when I'm not using them as otherwise the polar bears will cry :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Post of the day so far Greenbee! :T

It amazes me when you see the amount that people spent on little tiny people that have NO awareness of what it's all about - and let's face it, until they go to school/preschool they really DON'T have any awareness of it, do they!

With the Niece and nephews we've always tried to strike a balance. Presents for them when they are small is something that we remember loving as children ourselves - both sides have had the ELC wooden building blocks, for example, and also their stacking cups - which went down an absolute storm. As soon as they get old enough they move on to getting the "goodie bag" presents - a gift bag with assorted odds and ends - everything from the useful (felt pens, pencils or crayons, drawing pads, colouring pads, matey bubble bath, hair clips.) to stuff themed around hobbies (one year our Neice's contained everything she needed to make her own birthday and Christmas cards for friends, this year's one nephew has a book about the planets/space) to the sort of random silly little toys that we always loved when we were their age - spinning tops, the snakes that sway around if you hold them by the tail, party blowers (the parents LOVE those!), the sliding number puzzles. And always, ALWAYS, one of those wooden toys that you push up the bottom and it collapses. :D Our presents always go down an absolute storm, and the parents love how long opening all the little parcels keeps the kids quiet for! :rotfl:

A thought Greying - if you can get hold of the local foodbank people, is it worth asking if they are able to redistribute the unwanted toys?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • greenbee - you are absolutely right, I don't have to keep the stuff - some of which I've got and know what it is, some of which I have got and it is wrapped.

The minor niggle is that my lot didn't ask, they just bought........

However, I have just been chatting to my mum chum over coffee & cake, and we were discussing the 'inappropriate present' issue. I have surprised myself how I've had no qualms about changing one gift for a credit note and another is off out of the house to raise funds for charity tomorrow. It's just the house has become a dumping ground, and we make progress in one area, only to have to dump more carp there (semingly) the next day. I can't see how we can break the cycle at present...... I can't get the house anything like tidy, never mind dusted, and it's getting to me a bit (not that I'm mrshoouseproud in any way, shape or form!) sorry, just having a minor moan, I'll stop now.

EH - I will find out about the foodbank's ability to redistribute and some of the toys (which are actually not 'presents' as such, just gifted hand-me-downs, if that makes sense) are duplicates, or very similar in what they do, so I need to go through and do a 'keep' 'pass on' exercise. I was also thinking about getting in touch with the local toy library to see if they are allowed to accept s/hand toys that are in good/reasonable condition (but still safe IYSWIM)

I heartily concur about little ones not needing much and that even small children are not necessarily swayed by big shows of gifts, but are delighted/intrigued if you get them things that assist their current passion. BG has already found delight in a cardboard box......

Oh, and don't get me started on the amount of money that is being spent :eek: we've just had a good auld natter about that particular chestnut....... trouble is, you think what you could do with the 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 pounds instead...................

BG is fed, watered, clothed, warm and [STRIKE]loved[/STRIKE] adored. They are in a pretty neat place in life I think :D

Right, best sort lunch. A light affair, because I've scoffed delicious HM cake already:D Willl be wearing purple next..........

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    BG will LOVE opening presents for the next few years. Any presents... it's opening them that's fun when you're tiny! Cardboard boxes will provide entertainment for years (rockets, castles, houses).

One of my most successful presents was a toy. My nephew desperately wanted a dragon for his 3rd birthday. So I bought him one (with a REALLY annoying song if you pressed it's tummy...). He arrived and found a wrapped up box with airholes in it :D He immediately knew it was a dragon and was so overwhelmed he couldn't speak for about 5 minutes! He adored it, and used to bring it to visit as it was 'your' dragon, and it missed me apparently... I think he loved it to death, and now even putting new batteries up it's bum doesn't make it sing/breathe fire anymore.

My house is currently covered in glitter as the kids were here on monday making presents for everyone (I started this with my nephew last year). They start off complicated and end up less so as their attention span runs out. But it's very sweet watching them decide what they are going to make for which person. This year granny gets extra presents as my dad died a few weeks ago, so they have decided she needs more presents and extra cuddles as she's sad.
  • greenbee wrote: »
    One of my most successful presents was a toy. My nephew desperately wanted a dragon for his 3rd birthday. So I bought him one ... I think he loved it to death, and now even putting new batteries up it's bum doesn't make it sing/breathe fire anymore.

My goodness, I know just how it feels.................. :rotfl:

greenbee, I didn't know that your father had died. I'm sorry to learn that. Extra love and cwtches for Chrimbo sound just the thing.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure