We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes I was getting that last night, thought it was my tablet thing I use now..

Me too....last night and again this morning, although I've only ever used an iPad on here so not likely to be that :p

Don't envy either you or Choille, with builder problems Dave......we're about to start getting quotes for the jobs we're unable to tackle ourselves (electrics in new kitchen & external painting, the latter of which we'd normally do but this is a very tall house with a surplus of windows, lol!) so might be joining you both soon.....

It's quite sunny and warm (well, compared to what it's been like of late :o) here today, so whilst DH has been catching up on business related stuff, I've been gardening - pruning a large ornamental laurel tree and getting a few more things in the ground.

First of the giant oriental poppies opened this morning too.....lovely :D

{{{Hugs}}} Choille, do hope your situation - weather and otherwise - improves very soon x
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love oriental poppies - Beautiful.

I do think recommendations are a good way to go with workmen, but it dos seem like they all go AWOL a lot too. maybe just me but \I am at the end of my tether.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What a diff a day makes with the weather..

Well Alfie is on her way home now lol..
    Work to live= not live to work
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »

I do think recommendations are a good way to go with workmen, but it dos seem like they all go AWOL a lot too. maybe just me but \I am at the end of my tether.

Well we just had a painter and decorator round to look at repainting the external render, which is currently a dirty grey (or rather varying shades - at least 50, lol - of grey). He seemed very nice and sympathetic to period buildings as well as coming highly recommended by a neighbour. We will have his quote next week although he's fully booked till at least September, which is a good thing imho. He can also recommend some other trades :D

Due to there being an Article 4(2) on the house we'll have to get permission, but I'd rather it was that way than people just being allowed to repaint any colour they like :p;)

Hang in in there Choille - the end must be nearly in sight, yes? I know it's hard - we went through a really tough time with our building work at the last house (some vanishing builders which was not helped by the wet summer of 2012 and both my parents being very ill at some distance) - but you do come out the other side eventually......and it'll all be worth it, truly it will :o
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • ferretkeeper
    ferretkeeper Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We used to live in a very old cottage in wilts, one of a long row of cottages which were all painted different colours, I remember loving the street scene from years before we bought a house there. Being on the main road (Technically part of the A4) the traffic made the paintwork grubby quite quickly so we repainted, but then the neighbours all started and chose a colour similar to ours so the patchwork effect was lost. So sad! There's a town like that near here, don't think its listed either, but it's the subject of some local artists' work and owners seem to be keeping the bold bright colours going!

Well, not holding my breath but the kitchen fitter should be with me next week- stupidly I'm assuming Monday so I will ring and check what day he means! Also I want to know if he's starting with the wall units or the base, in case I don't have time to make them all over the weekend I know what to start with! I have't painted yet, been agonising over greys too! But saw a top tip on telly last night, to use an eggshell rather than plain emulsion, as I won't have a splash back straight away and it'll wipe clean. Off to my local F&B / Litttle Greene shop tomorrow to make the final decision, Happy days!

I must admit Im getting pretty bored of microwave meals, or at least not having the option to cook, in reality I have the same ready meals on standby all the time, but it's usually my choice to be lazy!

Everyones been Enjoying this lovely weather, it's about time, just hope it doesn't get too hot, I haven't got the shearer booked yet and the sheeps are very woolly!
  • choille
    Options
    Phoebe - I am getting really stressed over really minor things as well as the major stuff.

The localish hotel has just painted the gable & part of the front bright Tango orange - it does look awful - real florescent, high visibility colour.

I do like to see varieties of colours - FK - where we used to live the front was all different colours. It was said that when the skippers had painted the boat they would use what was left over on the house front & it became a tradition - the houses all different colours.

Just spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for kitchen units doors that I painted. There are three missing - we have looked & looked & they are just not about. It's weird - like someone is having a very perverse laugh. I'm too knackered to cry.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 June 2015 at 10:54PM
    Options
    It's incredible when you think the colours things might have been painted once. Things like cathedrals in gaudy brightest colours available.

We have an odd sense of appropriate IMO. Paint is easily redone, its not like structure or old building materials. Right type of paint might be more important.....

That said...there was a house with royal purple boards....cannot think of the name, the boards behind gutters, s....., anyway, I wanted to punch the people that painted that. Not least though, because it clashed so badly with their red clay tiles on the exterior and roof.

A house in a village near by has gone quite a bold Tuscan sort of orangey yellow and I have to admit I'm feeling quite inspired. Theirs is timbered, and it looks warm and snug against the natural coloured timber. I know we want yellow....I just cannot decide which. Not lemon, something warmer, bolder, but not the colour of mustard, custard or wet sand on a dull day. Something sort of honey ish sounds nice but looks insipid when I try, so it has to be golder, yellower...more like pollen.

My idea of hell is living somewhere with a restricted colour for front door etc. I was told black for guttering etc, and put in request for grey.....partly because that's what I wanted, but also I think because I felt .......strangled. :( stupid I know.
  • choille
    Options
    Fascia Boards?
  • choille
    Options
    The lime wash colours are nice & quite bold. The Valspar paint will scan any colour & come up with it - brilliant or what?
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I wrote this to you folks before I left Marrakesh but it wouldn't send so here it is now im home :D

I have survived another trip to Marrakesh ! I love this place,,, occupants of this random hotel resemble the cast of monty python.. the owner is a stonking great eastern woman who folds her arms resembling an 18th century executioner...
    of the 12 adult residents, we have the nice couple, the LOUD couple with equally LOUD 2 kids, we have the deaf elderly couple ?? who bellow at each other with equal force and getting no where with their plans... we have the "complain at the tomatoes not sliced right " couple, the hyacinth bucket couple and of course US..
    I talked a friend into coming here and by the time we get back on the plane she may be over the shock of being persued by gown draped individuals promising her "no problem" as they rip her off YET AGAIN !!
    we have diced with death crossing roads, zebra crossings are mere decoration on roads with speeding cars,taxis,donkeys,mopeds competing to cross each painted stripe as if their life and NOT mine depended on it...
    we have ridden the local bus ....due on the hour but never sure which hour.... from our back of beyond hotel to be met by bemused stares from "the locals" who are obviously used to hurtling through pot holes and avoiding other road users within an inch of their life !
    we have bartered and bought the obvious morrocan attire which blend in well here but will make one stand out like a bolisha beacon back in blighty... we have the tagine which we know if we're honest will never see day light let alone the inside of an oven again.....
    BUT. "its the morrocan way " and I LOVE IT... p.s
    its 35+ degrees.....
    apparently its not quite so hot where you are... hahahahahaha

full.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills