Feared by the bad, loved by the good Robin Hood,
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood

He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green
    They vowed to help the people of the king
    They handled all the troubles on the English country scene
    And still found plenty of time to sing

He came to Sherwood Forest with a feather in his cap
    A fighter never looking for a fight
    His bow was always ready, and he kept his arrows sharp.
    He used them to fight for what was right

With Friar Tuck and Little John they had a roguish look,
    They did the deed the others wouldn't dare.
    He captured all the money that the evil sheriff took,
    And rescued many a lady fair

To cheating and corruption, he would never, never yield
    And danger was his breakfast ev'ry day
    The cobler in the hamlet and the farmer in the field
    Were always helping him get away

He rode up to the palace and was cheered by ev'ryone
    His Lady Marian threw him a rose
    The King of England knighted him the Earl Of Huntingdon
    And that's the way that the legend goes.......
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    No; That letter points to an increase in the standard tariff (as posted on the SSE website which I linked to in my previous post) and points to Equipower paid by direct debit being cheaper. There is not even any indication of who sent that letter. Going by your own post it looks like the letter came from Ebico and not SSE. In fact that last piece of information on the alleged letter is wrong or at least incomplete: The discount for paying by direct debit does not apply to Ebico tariffs:

https://sse.co.uk/price-change

Overall, if I don't get such a letter I don't believe it. There is too much variation in this thread over alleged letters for me to believe it.

You are calling the letter in the photograph I posted "an alleged" letter now - you reckon I made it up? You really are going to take some convincing. Look at it carefully. It is NOT the SSE standard tariff, it is Ebico's Equipower tariff - you can see that from the fact the standing charge is 0.00p per day, surely.

If you'd read it properly you'd see it says that I could save £0.00 per year on Equipower paying by month direct debit, which correctly indicates no discount for paying by direct debit.
  • whattochoose
    Options
    Stuart_W wrote: »
    You are calling the letter in the photograph I posted "an alleged" letter now - you reckon I made it up? You really are going to take some convincing. Look at it carefully. It is NOT the SSE standard tariff, it is Ebico's Equipower tariff - you can see that from the fact the standing charge is 0.00p per day, surely.

If you'd read it properly you'd see it says that I could save £0.00 per year on Equipower paying by month direct debit, which correctly indicates no discount for paying by direct debit.

I agree with you Stuart_W. I received a letter which had the Ebico logo on it, but it definitely came from SSE, because it was signed by the person I had spoken to when ringing the SSE number.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2017 at 5:24PM
    Options

What I see coming from Ebico is scare-mongering, rhetoric and a hard sell in favour of RHE and not in any way impartial, accurate information and advice. Is it any wonder that I distrust what Ebico says? It is pretty much confirmed by two posts in this thread that the letter was in fact received from Ebico!

My other related point is that in embarking on their hard sell Ebico appear to have forgotten all about those in fuel poverty in receipt of Warm Home Discount that Ebico is pledged to help who will lose their WHD if they transfer to RHE. Is it just a coincidence that RHE also have that very same failing in forgetting those in fuel poverty who they too are pledged to help?

Lastly, if I see it with my own eyes I'll believe it. I think it's pretty much far-fetched although probably not impossible that SSE is going to increase my tariff without giving me advance notice.

Overall, doesn't ring true, sorry.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 March 2017 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    What I see coming from Ebico is scare-mongering, rhetoric and a hard sell in favour of RHE and not in any way impartial, accurate information and advice. Is it any wonder that I distrust what Ebico says?

Well if you won't believe a photograph of my letter, you'll have to wait until your first post-price rise bill, then. And if you are still being billed on the Equipower tariff by SSE you will get a price rise on 28th April.

Based on the information I've received, it seems quite clear to me. I am an Ebico customer. To that end I have been supplied by SSE on Ebico's behalf on the Ebico tariff (called Equipower and Equigas) which is not directly available from SSE. This arrangement is coming to an end. A new Ebico tariff, called Ebico Zero, is available as a replacement, which is available at about 4.5% less than current prices, supplied by RHE. Ebico initially thought customers could be automatically transferred, but have now stated that to switch over to the new tariff a switch has to be consciously requested. Customers not requesting a switch will remain billed by SSE on a tariff called Equipower or Equigas, which SSE have now announced will be on increasing on 28th April, which in my area means a 19% increase. They may also drop the tariff at any date in the future, it is not guaranteed. To keep with Ebico I need to switch.

Not really scare-mongering or a "hard sell" IMO, I'm an Ebico customer so I'd expect to be told the steps I need to take to remain an Ebico customer. I could decide not to switch, but the price difference between Ebico Zero and Equipower from 28th April is quite a big one.
  • MoneySavingNovice
    Options
    Its posible that the best way to now find out if its SSE or Ebico sending the letters is to look at the web address on the particular letter. I think that:-

www.sse.co.uk/ebico means it is from SSE

www.ebico.org.uk means it is from ebico

I hope this helps someone.
  • THX758
    THX758 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    I got the letter about the price increase today, it is a sse.co.uk/ebico letter, and the return address is at SSE Plc, PO Box 16552, Birmingham.
    That would indicate that the letters are sent by SSE, but I still don't know if right now I am with Ebico or SSE, I have still not received confirmation of where I am yet, though I did tick I wanted to stay with SSE on the Ebico website.
    Is it too much to ask SSE and Ebico to clarify the situation?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2017 at 12:13AM
    Options
    Not really scare-mongering or a "hard sell" IMO, I'm an Ebico customer so I'd expect to be told the steps I need to take to remain an Ebico customer. I could decide not to switch, but the price difference between Ebico Zero and Equipower from 28th April is quite a big one.

Anyone who doesn't recognise the hard sell is probably living on a different planet or has their head buried in the sand.

According to USwitch for my electricity useage of 1188 kWh per year Ebico Zero is £10.36p per year cheaper than Equipower. Not a lot I'd say. If it was £50 a year I might sit up and take notice. Going the other way, the Scottish Power fixed until April 2018 tariff is £8.05p per year more than Equipower and that's where I'll be going if indeed SSE increases the price of Equipower.

But there is a group of customers who cannot move to Ebico/RHE Zero who Ebico has turned its back on. That group of customers is the very group of customers that Ebico is pledged to help: They are that group of customers who suffer fuel poverty and qualify for Warm Home Discount that RHE do not provide. It's that that I object to.

There is not a cat-in-hell's chance that the RHE carpet-baggers are going to get my account nor my direct debit!

Lastly, there is nothing that I can see on the SSE website nor in my SSE online account about an increase in the Equipower tariff, no official announcement nor any press announcement. It appears that at this stage only Ebico know about it and they are not shy about crowing about it in private letters.

For crying out loud that letter is not even accurate and refers to a discount when paying for Equipower by direct debit which is not allowed by SSE. The discount doesn't apply to Ebico tariffs! The letter also specifies an increase to the SSE standard tariff while listing the standing charge as nil thereby increasing the confusion which was originally created by Ebico itself!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    THX758 wrote: »
    But i thought it took weeks to be moved. So logically, until you receive confirmation that you have moved to the new provider, Ebico is the one who can rise and lower the prices on the equigas and equipower tariffs. Not SSE.

Refer to the thread title ;)
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am truly confused now.

I e-mailed Ebico yesterday and the answer I got back was.

So basically I don't know if I'm a Ebico SSE customer, a Ebico Robin Hood customer or a Robin Hood customer.

What does your last bill say?

If it says Equipower or Equigas, you are an SSE customer. (who were the previous supply partner to Ebico)

No Ebico customer has yet been switched to RHE, afaik, and based on communications received from Ebico (although the switching process has started for some)

Perhaps you are a customer of RHE already? i.e a non-Ebico RHE tariff
    What is the name of the traiff on your last bill?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure