Benefits Advice please, a bit long & complicated!

I’m new to this forum so I hope I’m posting in the right place! I’m looking for some benefits advice please – it’s a bit of a complicated situation and I’ve never claimed benefits before.

Partner and I are British – we returned to the UK in Jan this year after living abroad for 8 years. Bought a house locally & have spent all year renovating it, hope to move into it in a couple of months (it’s still uninhabitable).

In the meantime we’re renting a property and have been living off savings all year. Partner is in the building trade and has had a few odd jobs but not enough to earn a living.

It’s come to the crunch – savings have almost run out and we need some sort of help. I think partner will find it easier to claim JSA as he has no savings and no property (house is in my sole name).

But will it be difficult for me to start claiming now (JSA, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit), because I own a property that we do not yet live in? (I know they disregard the property you actually live in) I’m hoping that we can get housing & council tax benefit to help pay the rent for a couple of months, before we move into the house – after which there will be no rent to pay.

My savings are less than 3k and this is to pay rent and also finish all the work at the house. I’ve been paying voluntary NI contributions for 8 years (if that helps). It goes without saying that I am looking for work but have not had any luck so far, although I do have an interview this week & am doing voluntary work 3 days per week.

Any advice appreciated please.

Comments

• CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    I’m new to this forum so I hope I’m posting in the right place! I’m looking for some benefits advice please – it’s a bit of a complicated situation and I’ve never claimed benefits before.

Partner and I are British – we returned to the UK in Jan this year after living abroad for 8 years. Bought a house locally & have spent all year renovating it, hope to move into it in a couple of months (it’s still uninhabitable).

In the meantime we’re renting a property and have been living off savings all year. Partner is in the building trade and has had a few odd jobs but not enough to earn a living.

It’s come to the crunch – savings have almost run out and we need some sort of help. I think partner will find it easier to claim JSA as he has no savings and no property (house is in my sole name).

But will it be difficult for me to start claiming now (JSA, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit), because I own a property that we do not yet live in? (I know they disregard the property you actually live in) I’m hoping that we can get housing & council tax benefit to help pay the rent for a couple of months, before we move into the house – after which there will be no rent to pay.

My savings are less than 3k and this is to pay rent and also finish all the work at the house. I’ve been paying voluntary NI contributions for 8 years (if that helps). It goes without saying that I am looking for work but have not had any luck so far, although I do have an interview this week & am doing voluntary work 3 days per week.

HI AutumnLeaves - we'd recommend that you contact your local bureau and arrange to speak with an adviser for advice and information on what your options are, and especially with the various changes to the benefits system that are starting to be put into place:

- for England or Wales, use this online bureau directory

- for Scotland, use this online bureau directory

- and for Northern Ireland, you can find your local bureau via the map on the home page of the NIACAB website.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

AFAIK, you will be assessed as a couple for any claim for means tested benefits so the house you own but don't live in will be treated as capital.

It would be worth reposting on the Benefits board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure