Alliance & Leicester current account 5.5%

see:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1262887,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704

and

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/currentaccounts/index.asp?page=premier-plus&ct=flashprimarypremierplus55wrecker

You are getting 5.5% for a current account, and if you put in more than £1,000 a month you get free annual travel insurance. There are some catches, though.
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You don't just have to put in £1,000 per month to get free travel insurance, you also have to put in £1,000 per month to get 5.5% (gross AER).

Also, balances over £2,500 attract just 0.1% interest!
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You don't just have to put in £1,000 per month to get free travel insurance, you also have to put in £1,000 per month to get 5.5% (gross AER)

Sorry, I've been to the terms and conditions, and I couldn't spot that. As an existing 'Premier [£500.00 funding] current account' holder, I can't apply - but I wonder if I closed my account in October [anniversary of opening, when 0% overdraft finishes] and then reapplied, would A&L treat me as a 'new' customer once more?

Also, there is a £25 incentive payment just for opening this account - so it surely beats Martin's latest tip for opening a First Direct account instead?

[Opps! the rest of this reply was just 'wrong' - and has been removed  by Milarky  :-[]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    5.5% until Dec
    That's December 2005, I believe.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Apologies, johnllew. My eye was 'caught' on the reference to '31 Dec 2004' - which is the application deadline - and I didn't read on :-[
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • MattLG
    MattLG Posts: 120 Forumite
    I've had an idea for a friend to benefit from this. If you didn't earn £1000 per month, could you put in £500, take it out, then put it back in again?

MattLG
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport