PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dispute over driveway

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    It doesn't make much sense for OP to own the drive all the way to the neighbours house? Perhaps the bit they have to cross to get to their drive, but the whole thing??

OP parks on 'his' drive. Neighbour parks on the drive which leads to their house.

No one parks on the crossover.
    What is so difficult?

I find it very unlikely OP owns the entire drive all the way up past their house to a neighbours drive.
  • It doesn't make much sense for OP to own the drive all the way to the neighbours house? Perhaps the bit they have to cross to get to their drive, but the whole thing??

OP parks on 'his' drive. Neighbour parks on the drive which leads to their house.

No one parks on the crossover.
    What is so difficult?

I find it very unlikely OP owns the entire drive all the way up past their house to a neighbours drive.

It does look as if this would be the logical answer and it's not happening because OP (but not her husband) doesnt wish to see the car from her front window. Perfectly logical to a non car-owner - who thinks they are all eyesores. Not logical when one has a car of one's own - and is therefore doing so too.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    It does look as if this would be the logical answer and it's not happening because OP (but not her husband) doesnt wish to see the car from her front window. Perfectly logical to a non car-owner - who thinks they are all eyesores. Not logical when one has a car of one's own - and is therefore doing so too.

Well it looks like theyre only looking out onto a brick wall and driveway anyway? Not onto an area of outstanding natural beauty or a pretty garden?
  • moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've down loaded their deeds. Doesn't say anything about the drive.

The law society property information form says about the neighbour access on the drive.
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneysaver12
    Hang on, you don't want to let them park a car in front of their garage? To the right of that fence?

Why ever not? That just seems petty.

As long as nobody ever parks on the 'crossover' bit at the bottom that you both need for access there should never be a problem here. Don't create an unnecessary one!

That's the problem. People have been parking outside our garden and part of our drive. Which then means I can't get back on to my drive.
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneysaver12
    20170318_105245.jpgfree upload image

This is the original plan
    Married 09/09/09
  • That's the problem. People have been parking outside our garden and part of our drive. Which then means I can't get back on to my drive.

Outside a bit of your garden, that seems like a petty thing to be concerned about. Most front gardens border the road/pavement so you could have anybody parking there. Don't worry about that bit.

I'm not quite understanding how they can be preventing you getting on your drive if they are only parking one car in front of the garage. As long as nobody blocks that overlapping bit at the bottom of both drives you should both be able to use the drives with no bother.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure where we stand

At your living room window, tutting.
  • moneysaver12
    Outside a bit of your garden, that seems like a petty thing to be concerned about. Most front gardens border the road/pavement so you could have anybody parking there. Don't worry about that bit.

I'm not quite understanding how they can be preventing you getting on your drive if they are only parking one car in front of the garage. As long as nobody blocks that overlapping bit at the bottom of both drives you should both be able to use the drives with no bother.

When the landlord has been around to the property he has been allowing people to park at the bottom of the drive . So two cars on that bit of drive. This then means that I can't get on to the drive.

I don't want to fall out with neighbours over this and don't want to turn it in to a major thing. Ll seems to think he owns all of the drive.

From looking at our plans it looks to me that we own the drive up to the fence. Then neighbours own the bit outside the garage. Which would make sense.
    Married 09/09/09
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hang on, you don't want to let them park a car in front of their garage? To the right of that fence?

Why ever not? That just seems petty.

As long as nobody ever parks on the 'crossover' bit at the bottom that you both need for access there should never be a problem here. Don't create an unnecessary one!

It's confusing as it was ok for OP to park there while waiting to be sold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure