New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..

Comments

• kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Woah that was weird. I just went for a quick drive. Braking without using the clutch down is VERY weird.
    Changing gear while braking... I found that very difficult, in terms of multitasking. It was like learning to drive again...
    Think I'll stick to my normal way of driving, although I'll try using the clutch less when braking gently.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Braking without using the clutch down is VERY weird.

Umm, no, it's normal - well, for everybody else, anyway.
    It was like learning to drive again...

I think your last work is redundant. Or, maybe, we should just change it to "properly".

Frankly, I'm very surprised that you passed your test if you drove during it as you describe now. How long ago was it? Did you go for a long period without driving, soon after passing?
    Changing gear while braking... I found that very difficult, in terms of multitasking.
    So don't. Do one thing at a time.

You have MUCH more control of the car when the clutch is engaged, and you're in the right gear.
  • kmb500
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Umm, no, it's normal - well, for everybody else, anyway.

I think your last work is redundant. Or, maybe, we should just change it to "properly".

Frankly, I'm very surprised that you passed your test if you drove during it as you describe now. How long ago was it? Did you go for a long period without driving, soon after passing?

So don't. Do one thing at a time.

You have MUCH more control of the car when the clutch is engaged, and you're in the right gear.
    Passed 3 years ago, have driven pretty much every day since then. Had three different cars (Kia Rio, Fiat Panda, Mazda MX-5) and I have driven like this in all of them fine.
    I'm still in control of the car and I drive fine - I don't think it would have any effect on my test. Didn't get minors for it. My instructor never mentioned it to me, and my examiner didn't either.
  • I am learning so much on this thread very interesting, thanks everyone.

Can anyone explain simply what riding the clutch means?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Can anyone explain simply what riding the clutch means?
    Sitting with your foot on the pedal, but only lightly, so that it doesn't disconnect drive.

The release bearing (thrust bearing) is then held in contact with the pressure plate, causing wear. If there's enough pressure on the pedal, then the clutch may actually slip.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Passed 3 years ago, have driven pretty much every day since then. Had three different cars (Kia Rio, Fiat Panda, Mazda MX-5) and I have driven like this in all of them fine.
    I'm still in control of the car and I drive fine - I don't think it would have any effect on my test. Didn't get minors for it. My instructor never mentioned it to me, and my examiner didn't either.

When you keep the clutch down when using the brake you aren't in as much control as you would be if you were braking properly by also going down gears, what you are doing also increases your stopping distance. Braking with the clutch down is coasting.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    not sureof the cost of the course. My employer paid for it as part of their health and safety drive. All employees doing 10000m per annum plus for work had to do the half day course.
    Would be similar to this:
    https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses/drive-check-plus

focussed on economy and safer driving. My instructor was ex Traffic Police. Easy to get on with, encouraged the driver tomake progress as well as hone their observation skills.
  • kmb500
    GwylimT wrote: »
    When you keep the clutch down when using the brake you aren't in as much control as you would be if you were braking properly by also going down gears, what you are doing also increases your stopping distance. Braking with the clutch down is coasting.
    How does that slow the brakes / increase stopping distance?

I move the gearstick into the appropriate gear when I am braking, so that if I have to take my foot off then the car will be in the right gear. I just don't actually do a full change, just keep the clutch down all the time.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Doesn't sound like your driving any differently to most drivers out there tbh. I wouldn't worry too much about what your doing i.e. Traffic lights with clutch down and coasting. It won't kill it in days
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I'm not sure if this post is serious or not but coasting is dangerous, will cause excessive wear on the car and used excessively, will fail the driving test.

http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/what-is-coasting.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport