Boston Duvet & Pillow Company

Comments

• Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Not used them myself nor would I, all sounds a bit suss to me.
    1. the prices are way to low to be quality bedding. If its too good to be true then it probably is!
    2. why are they removing the labels? which begs the question are they genuine products!

You would think the Boston Company's offers were 'too good to be true'. However, due to the extreme cheapness of the last offer coupled with the extra discount secured by the MMF website I gave the last one a go. What had I to lose at that price? I ordered two feather pillows and a double duvet delivered for £20 and they were, indeed, of the highest quality. I was extremely impressed and have just ordered another double duvet on the latest offer code.
  • Got Foggerty quilt and Debenhams pillows at pocket change prices. Brilliant quality and brilliant deals.
  • Mewend
    Mewend Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just ordered a quilt and pullows,man made material as I wouldn't order feathers if made in China for obvious reasons .
    Went to checkout put in MSE code didn't work !!:mad:
  • Mewend
    Mewend Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MSE code wasn't taken off balance at checkout
  • Jut had a look at the site and found they now only have Super King Size duvets on offer.
  • sazzaa
    sazzaa Posts: 11 Forumite
    Ruth_shane wrote: »
    How do I know that the feathers and down used is not plucked from live birds? This seems to be common practice and I don't think I could sleep easy under that cruelty. Only two well known brands ensure that products used are by products of food preparation (i.e. Animals already slaughtered). Are you the third?

I emailed and got this response:

We have an ethical policy that governs its trading relationships with suppliers.

All duck and goose feather and down used in Fogarty product is produced as a by-product of the food industry. Fogarty does not buy direct from farms or abattoirs but only from approved feather-processing suppliers where its purchasing conditions prohibit the supply of live plucked material.

The company’s main sources of feather and down are from Asia where live plucking is not generally practised and birds are killed before processing. In Eastern Europe the practice of live plucking is more commonplace, however many farms are subject to TUV certification scheme which covers best practice for animal husbandry. Although Fogarty uses a small quantity of European down such raw materials are also obtained via its suppliers in Asia and are subject to its normal trading conditions. All Fogarty feather and down suppliers in Asia are also subject to routine ethical audits and ISO 9001 quality accreditation.
  • Not used them myself nor would I, all sounds a bit suss to me.
    1. the prices are way to low to be quality bedding. If its too good to be true then it probably is!
    2. why are they removing the labels? which begs the question are they genuine products!

I just ordered a king size duvet and 2 pillows, reduced outlet prices and on top got a 25% discount. Made up, excuse the pun!
    They've had 3000 orders this morning and it took 3 attempts to place the order, so busy are they. Good old MSE! Thank you.
    I don't think it's suss. Fogarty is a fabulous make.
  • I have had issues with a previous order. The codes worked fine and I ordered a 13.5 Tog Duvet and a pair of pillows as a set.

The duvet turned up on its own, there was no sign of the pillows or any mention of them on the paperwork. Worse than this was that the duvet was very thin and did not even seem to be 10.0 Tog (albeit I am not a duvet expert, just have 35 years of experience in using them). After numerous emails it was agreed that they would send out 'enhanced' pillows due to the shortfall and packaging to allow me to send the duvet back for them to check the rating of it.

The pillows arrived and whilst not rubbish, I am glad I did not get the lower quality item. I also received a freepost envelope to send back the duvet.

I sent the duvet back two weeks before Xmas using the envelope provided and Boston are now claiming 'the item never arrived' back with them which is suspicious to me considering I had queried what they had sent me in the first place. Their response is that I should have obtained proof of postage even though the item was being sent freepost and perhaps they are correct.

However considering the time and emails and unrequired journey I had to make to post the item back to them I wish I had never read the MSE email which mentioned this offer. I would suggest all readers should act with caution when dealing with this company.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,849
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    Fatdad62 wrote: »

the duvet was very thin and did not even seem to be 10.0 Tog (albeit I am not a duvet expert,

A 10.00 tog duvet will be very thin, thats a spring/autumn tog perfect for a bedroom with heating on.

I sent the duvet back two weeks before Xmas using the envelope provided and Boston are now claiming 'the item never arrived' back with them which is suspicious to me considering I had queried what they had sent me in the first place. Their response is that I should have obtained proof of postage even though the item was being sent freepost and perhaps they are correct.

Absolutely correct, how else can you prove you posted it unless you obtained proof of posting which should be obtained when returning any item

I think they have done exactly what can be expected to be honest.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I bought these apparently luxury pillows. They were cheap yes but I only got them as they were recommended by MSE.

They are really rubbish...complete waste of money and would unfortunately not recommend these .
    :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport