The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Options

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,547 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Friday my favourite day so lovely to have a day to myself and of course there's a list.

Probate granted so letters went yesterday recorded delivery fingers crossed a reply soon.

Still no tenants forth bedroom too small - well it's a study so what can I do. Viewing Saturday if not I'll drop the price. Fed up really if I leave it too long nobody wants to move before Christmas.

Need to collect letter at post office which is down by shopping centre and Timpsons which I need for DG shoes. However it's a long walk and my foot is hurting after gym. Been twice this week need one more time Sunday and I'll be happy. No weightloss yet but it's only week two. Got my veg box this morning nice stuff half price too plus £10 off next week will get some nice cheese.

£200 left to payday Tuesday week but out of that will come £50 in bills and reason it's so low a balance is bought my Christmas flights to Denmark saved £50 by going back on the 1/1 and I don't mind as have a day to settle down and DG isn't back until late 2/1 and will have two days off then so might swap my day off. I've been good but stil the odd treat lunch wise and latte but mainly free ones.

So list today
    Take DG shoes to Timpsons
    Collect signed for letter

Tidy up unpack stuff from old house

Food shop should do Lidl but might just do top up
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    edited 4 November 2016 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Taken shoes in not collected letter it will be the return of a death certificate will have more this week so can wait I mean pension people will return more originals.

Soup made four frozen portions old veg used up new veg box unpacked. Also done two loads of washing but on the whole a lazy day.

Tenants from earlier this week wants property if I drop by £50. Agreed if they pass credit check will move in 17/11. Fingers crossed this time.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will keep everything crossed for you TG.
  • TallGirl
    Options
    DG has gone to her mums to sort her new phone out she's going to be late back but I've enjoyed X factor and now chilling. Not done a lot today a little bit of golf and a Lidl shop. Have booked hairdressers and hotel to coincide with inquest so we will be down Saturday together for hairdresser then play golf Sunday and then I will stay with friend while DG goes back. I'll come back on the Monday. Hotel was £62 almost save that much by having hair for both us cut and her highlights done down here so much cheaper.

Still need to book golf break for 18/11 but DG couldn't really hit the ball today so don't feel like it.

Really need to sort out birthday presents need four this month before I do to Denmark on the 24/11.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    edited 12 November 2016 at 11:06PM
    Options
    Thursday eve yeah my Friday so glad work is over but I'm am getting to grips with things which is nice. We also passed our audit not that I had much to do with it.

Sent off for the two pensions and have two signed for missed letters so they should have sent back the originals so that's a good sign. Hopefully get some money very soon would be really nice.

Not heard anymore from estate agent so not sure if it's good or bad news for moving in 17/11 will chase tomorrow.

Still wants weekend away but hotel dinner b&b and two rounds of golf is £95 each where as if we do hotel local to our old place it's £31 with brekafast. Golf if we play with friends should be £20max and then dinner isn't much plus we can visit other friends so think we'll go with that. I also miss playing my old course and it would be nice to play with people I know again.

In my overdraft but waiting for £200 insurance money refund by cheque and payday is Tuesday. My wages will be low compared to last month as only getting a month not 6 weeks like last time and it's only 4 days but I'm hoping I can manage on that plus save £300 a month (used to save £550) and then not touch the rental income. We shall see that's when I get some rental income.

Once the pension money comes in I will see IFA again and start planning what to invest in. Definitely be topping up my pension it's a no brainer obviously fill up my ISA and then who knows I quite fancy Premium Bonds.

Excercise regime going well personal training motivating us both to go three times a week I feel so much better for it, was due to go tonight but DG saw her ex last night and drank too much wine so seeing him tomorrow. Super expensive at £70 a week but so worth it and it's for both of us..
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    edited 12 November 2016 at 11:11PM
    Options
    Only had three low alcohol beers last night but DG had vodka and went o bed quite drunk after mistaking next door for our room waking them both up screaming really bad and she's so embarrassed. I've been shopping got my nephew almost sorted, my friend and her little girl and my sister husband I also used to have my ex dh birthday this month. Quite a lot before Christmas so all gone on credit card but haven't gone mad.

Also had my fee Waitrose coffe and resisted shopping in the new hotel chocolate although I did have their freebie taster.

Not done a lot else no golf and DG has hurt her foot I didn't mind as it's been raining all day. Sorted some filing out and filled in the land registry transfer form for my old house and sorted out a letter for Barclays to do with the business property and an old charge. I'm not transferring that property into my name need to see what move bil and fil makes first. Send fil a long email and he was happy to hear from me all happy chatty but I wanted him to know I'll be thinking off him this Monday as it would ha e been ex DG birthday.

Need to get something for fil we're going down next weekend so really should no excuse really. Even if it's just Christmas cards for everyone it's also fil birthday in January.

Gym tomorrow and maybe golf later. Did what to use our last £1 Cinema ticket from the Tesco promotion but the code doesn't work. I also can work out which two of the three I have actually used to difficult to email to complain. Trying again tomorrow.

Decided to go out to the local Italian and have pizza and prosecco on Thursday to hopefully celebrate the tenants having moved in and I've then completed what I started after DG death clearing the house. My mum suggested I let off some poppers she found at the house so we shall do that Thursday and then go off and play some golf Friday at my old course. Should be good.

Night night all hope you're having a lovely weekend.

Bed soon really don't want to waste tomorrow.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Lovely but tiring weekend and I have

:j:j:jTENTANTS IN MY HOUSE:j:j:j

Lovely Friday playing at my old course and then dinner at Aks 50% off mains vouchers from :money: of course but bill still £75. Worth it and pre dinner drinks were from cool box in room.

Hotel was lovely and so central no taxi needed (two doors away) and although we only got to play 4 out of 9 holes Saturday due to hail it was still nice. DG game is getting so much better.

Lovely to see friend she's got new job in central London in my industry (kind of where I really wanted to work but haven't actually looked at recently). Her salary will be £55k but she'll be commuting four hours a day. Not for me thanks but nice salery.

Back Saturday after trip to Lidl and today washing and total pj day really nice. Almost packed for trip to Denmark Thursday and my friend will be up here Weds. No gym today but have been twice this week and one almost two rounds of golf. Monday and Tuesday gym then week off in terms of gym but really starting to see the results.

Transfer of house complete from land registry (my own house now) but nothing about the pensions. It's been two weeks I think it might be a bit longer as first response took four weeks or so.

Felt strange being back "home" but not going to my house but feels right and the money will be nice. Must sort out some sort of savings plan for them thinking the Tesco savings plan for the tax part possible. I'm not spending any of the money but it's going into Halifax so won't earn any money and I won't need to spend it all on repairs, tax and other boring bits.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Lovely but tiring weekend and I have

:j:j:jTENTANTS IN MY HOUSE:j:j:j

That's great news. Congratulations. How many months have they signed up for?
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Thanks for popping by SuzieSue they want to stay long term but it's just a normal AST. They only got 11 months at their old place as it had damp so hopefully they don't fancy moving again.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Thanks for popping by SuzieSue they want to stay long term but it's just a normal AST. They only got 11 months at their old place as it had damp so hopefully they don't fancy moving again.

As far as I know an AST can be anything from 6 months to 3 years I think. It is always best to go for 6 months to start with so you can ask them to leave after 6 months if there are any problems. It is tempting to ask for 12 months, but you should only do that if you are absolutely sure about the tenants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure