The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• Startinglate
    Startinglate Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Fruball. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be possible to not think about alcohol on non drinking days because my DH will definitely be drinking, he's had three glasses of wine since I've been home. I however have had about a pint of fizzy water and a mug of tea. Not quite ready to call it yet but it's looking good for my first AF day for goodness knows how long.
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :hello:Evening everyone!

Calling 4/24 for me - my stepson is keeping me on track while hubby is away...
  • Startinglate
    Startinglate Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Ok I'm in my PJs now so not going to have an alcoholic drink tonight. 1/8 please Shaggy
  • arsenalbarnie
    arsenalbarnie Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done Startinglate agree it's so difficult when you have an OH that drinks. Mine tonight has had a couple of large glasses of wine and a large bottle of beer. With a biscuit, cheese and biscuits and then at 10.00pm he wanders in with a pot of hummous and celery :eek: He will be moaning in the morning that his jeans are too tight.

I am getting off the blocks in May with 1 afd. Had a total shock on the scales this morning. Have gone into the next stone and am the heaviest I have ever been. So time to really take action, all those glasses of wine every night are putting on the pounds too fast. Have been religiously recording my food on Myf*tness pal today. Got past wine o'clock with alcohol free chardonnay with diet lemonade. Surprisingly easy tonight but didn't want to muck the first serious day of not being a pig. Or should I say an alcoholic pig:(
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • CountingPenniesClaire
    Options
    Another afd yesterday 3/24
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good to see you back satchmo and glad you enjoyed your holiday debjay.:)

:Ton your first AFD startinglate. It's not easy when your OH is drinking but that's his choice. Hopefully, even if he doesn't want to cut back he'll stop offering you a drink and be supportive in that way. Good luck for tonight.

I've been very slow getting started tis month. We were supposed to be out at a BBQ last night but got cancelled at last minute because of high winds. Unfortunately I didn't cancel the drinking that I'd planned to go with it.:o

Definitely getting a day in today.

1 AFD please Shaggy.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    6/31 AFDs, Warfarin level up to 6mg and back on Tinzaparin today
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 May 2015 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Ok got past the first 'danger point', getting in from work. My DH always pours me a glass of wine as soon as he hears my key in the door but this evening I said "no thanks I'm going to make a cup of tea would you like one too?" He didn't, but baby steps I have to get my own drinking under control before I can broach his difficulties with alcohol. Next step dinner.
    Don't worry, I'm not going to post an hour by hour account of my journey it's just that it's the first day.
    Ok I'm in my PJs now so not going to have an alcoholic drink tonight. 1/8 please Shaggy

Speaking just for myself post as often as you want, StartingLate, if it helps in any way to cut down or make whatever changes you want. Posting daily is one of the rituals that has kept me on the straight and narrow so far. It is more difficult being AF with a partner who is still drinking and there are some people who believe it's not possible, but my partner still drinks, we still have shedloads of booze in the house and I no longer drink at all. I'm convinced it's a mindset but it's also, in the early days, a habit that is difficult to break. The good news is, it gets better and easier as time goes on and after nine months even when OH is drinking, I genuinely no longer even think about it. (Other than Sunday night, when all I found myself thinking was, 'Thank god I don't do that any more!')
    satchmo1 wrote: »
    1/12 AFDsto get restarted. I've also restarted my running, 1k yesterday and today, to build back up "sensibly" (not something I always adhere to)

Lovely to have you back and posting with us, Satchmo!

Don't be so hard on yourself, A'Barney. 'Pigs' don't stop, don't cut down, don't care. In the farming world, the perfect pig is the one that goes to sleep with its head in the feed trough; the day you fall asleep in your wine cellar you can call yourself an alchoholic pig, and not until then. And don't tell me you can't because you don't have a wine cellar; an alcoholic would even if it's only a kitchen cupboard.

5/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Fruball. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be possible to not think about alcohol on non drinking days because my DH will definitely be drinking, he's had three glasses of wine since I've been home. I however have had about a pint of fizzy water and a mug of tea. Not quite ready to call it yet but it's looking good for my first AF day for goodness knows how long.

In the early days, no, you won't ;) I took a long time before I got to this stage of not thinking about wine on non wine days :) One step at a time :) Frequently, I would plan a AF day but get to 9pm and run up to the shop in a panic before they closed :o I no longer do that :) Congratulations on your first AF day :T I think the first one is the most difficult xx

No more to add for me but I did manage two in a row which is good for me :)
  • debjay
    debjay Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2/20 for tonight please. I had hoped to bring the ☀️ back with me but instead we've had the heating on it's so cold. The good thing is there is less temptation to have a cold drink with the cold weather.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure