Should I opt out?

Options
Hi

I'd like people's views on the following;

I have just started a job on a fixed term contract for 12-18months. As part of that i have been enrolled on a local government pension scheme in which I pay 6.5% contribution and my employer pays 10.25%.

I am considering opting out of it because the job is a fixed term contract. If I opt out I pay £20 more i tax and NI respectively but have about £100 more in my pay. If I don't opt out i'm about £125 less.
My other reservation is that I have 2 very small pension pots from previous employers and I don't want to have lots of pensions that I'll forget about in 40 years. On the other hand I am 24 and I believe its never too early to save for the future. By the end of contract I could have over £3000 in that pension. That's probably a good 2 month wage at retirement.

I could also reduce my contribution to 3.25% but the reservations are still the same. It's another pension pot out there.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Comments

• chiefie
    chiefie Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't opt out it would be madness to do so.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you would be throwing away the employer contribution if you opt out
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • ThinkingOutLoud_2
    Options
    lovinituk wrote: »
    And the OP got told to post it on this board...

OP one day you will either be living off whatever state pension there is or thin air if you don't save into a pension.

So IMHO, you need to wake up to your future reality:-
    - If you don't save towards your pension now and tomorrow - when will you?
    - so opting out simply means you will be poorer to the tune of your employer's contribution and the fact your contributions are topped up with tax relief.
    - figuring having several pots of money for retirement is a bad thing not worth your while should be parked in the bay marked "never think like this again"
    - you can potentially combine some pensions into one pot - look into it!

More than all of this - do some thinking about your future need for money and maybe that of your family or partner to come if you don't have / may do one day - you need to plan for your future.

If someone offers you lots of free money - take it - even if they make you save a little to get it. Simples.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You have no dissent from anyone in your threads??? How many more times do you want to hear the same advice?
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cjabbir wrote: »
    As part of that i have been enrolled on a local government pension scheme in which I pay 6.5% contribution and my employer pays 10.25%.

Not that it ultimately matters for yourself, being a DB scheme, but 10.25% is a rather low LGPS employer rate.
    I am considering opting out of it because the job is a fixed term contract. If I opt out I pay £20 more i tax and NI respectively but have about £100 more in my pay. If I don't opt out i'm about £125 less.

Pretty foolish reasoning, to be honest. Even if you aren't going to be in the scheme long enough to earn a pension, join and get a transfer value at the end well north of your individual contributions.
    My other reservation is that I have 2 very small pension pots from previous employers and I don't want to have lots of pensions that I'll forget about in 40 years.

Get transfer in quotations from the LGPS administrator. If nothing else, transferring will get you a preserved benefit in the LGPS.
    I could also reduce my contribution to 3.25% but the reservations are still the same.

Waste of time unless you are a high earner with annual or lifetime allowance issues - stay in the main section otherwise.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    You could transfer the small pension pots into the LGPS. That would also mean the pension would be preserved (ie stay in the scheme and increase by CPI until you claim it in the future) if you leave before 2 years.
    On the other hand I am 24 and I believe its never too early to save for the future. By the end of contract I could have over £3000 in that pension.
    I think you are misunderstanding how the scheme works. What you and your employer contribute is not important aside from what it costs, what matters is your pension entitlement, which is the amount of annual pension which you accrue.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a (council) tax payer I would love you to opt out
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am in full agreement with others on this. Do not opt out, this would be your most expensive financial decision ever if you decide to opt out. You are paying peanuts for an guaranteed index-linked income when you retire.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You might be on a fixed term 12 month contract now, but often, Public Sector permanent recruitment will treat existing FTE (Fixed Term Employees) as their first choice because they know you - an informal "try before you buy" for both of you. They will assume that if you apply for a permie post it is because you like the work and see a future in it.

Therefore, stay opted in and transfer your other two schemes in. You cannot do better, as everyone responding here have indicated. I realise this might feel like a financial sacrifice at the moment but trust me, your future self will thank you for this.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport