We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    At long last paperwork finished and put to bed so I've started. Went the the plot to have a look at what's happening. Sprouting broccoli doing well and so are the cabbages, I've still got some leeks and some brussels. Leeks and sprouts will have to come out. Earlies are showing but well wrapped up under fleece, Overwintering onions started to grow and so has the garlic.

I need to move the strawberries under cover to bring them on but first I need a couple of scoops of fresh muck dropping over the fence to make a sort of hot bed for them.

Mini digger up and running, I've got DH to build me a new asparagus bed with it, plus a trench for the main potatoes which have started to sprout but they aren't going out until next month. New fruit cage also going up for raspberries. Blackcurrant tips have started to turn green, I'll probably make some icecream or sorbet in the next few days with them.

Sown loads of seeds in modules, some for inside, some for outside. Dwarf beans, beetroot, lettuce, tomatoes, aubergines, sugar snap, leeks, parsley, celery, swede, peppers, cauliflowers. Not too many of each as I don't want to have many gluts this year. I'll sow more of the same in about 6-8 weeks time.
    Sown carrots in the tunnel just one line and I'll repeat every three weeks, with a major sow in August to take me over the winter.

Need to organise the automatic watering better this year. I bought it last year when the plants were already growing but now most of the beds are clear I can make a better job of it. It's things like this that take up the time.

Magnolia almost out, that cheers me up - Spring is almost here just hope for no frost to blacken the flowers.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds as though you've made a great start to things Zafiro. I'm also cracking on with things. Sown lots of flowers too as the garden was flattened last year. The greenhouse is full of trays just waiting to germinate. Such a great time of year.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fruittea wrote: »
    Sounds as though you've made a great start to things Zafiro. I'm also cracking on with things. Sown lots of flowers too as the garden was flattened last year. The greenhouse is full of trays just waiting to germinate. Such a great time of year.

Thanks Fruitea, I've been reading your posts and can see you've done far more than me. I've still a freezer full of fruit and veg - too many runner beans and tomatoes if I'm honest, so this year the aim is to grow a wider variety over a longer period so I don't end up with too many gluts.

I think I may try sweet potatoes, a friend grew them last year, terrific crop and they were huge. Anyone tried to grow them???

Someone earlier mentioned making wine. I'd be grateful for the low down on best wine and how to do it. I had a go at cider a couple of years ago - it was absolute rubbish :(
  • argh I put my aubergine seeds and tomato seedlings in the greenhouse yesterday as it was warmer than inside. I forgot about them and all of the 12 tomato have died! Going to have to resow & more aubergines. Now going to try sticking them in the airing cupboard!

Freezing today so am at home and working on my wormery :)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • So I have spent today making my wormery. I am so excited by this it isn't true! After much research I have picked up 3 polystyrene boxes from a fish monger. Cleaned and cleaned. Used a stanley knife to cut bits off so they all fitted together snugly. Used a hot glue gun to fill up big air holes from their original life and a nail to make loads of little holes for them to wiggle up through. Just waiting for the worms to arrive, should be today or tomorrow and then I can start.

Really hope it works! Think of all that lovely compost!

Also have arranged to pick up several bags of well rotted chicken manure to cover a bed 3 x 2 meters at the lottie which I'll collect on Friday :-)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • My pepper plants are getting next set of leaves on and look healthy.
    Sweetcorn coming through and my cosmos that I have never grown before are just peeking through.

I sowed some french bean seeds and Oh my God!! They are huge!!
    Hoping they will go in my bed at the allotment that doesnt get sun all day.

Dad has been growing two types of tomato seeds but they are not looking too healthy so I have fetched them home and they will sit with my seedlings on the table in my front window and I will hopefully nurse tham back to full health. :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Not a great deal to report here. Had an hour or two in the garden yesterday, did a bit more tidying up. Replocated another errant bramble to the boundary with the woods. Picked some odds & ends to go in my ramen, couldn't resist a couple of wild garlic fronds - it's a little early but my excuse is that it's a test picking. This weekend: the dreaded greenhouse candle (though I might wait for a rainy day - it's a little less antisocial)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think I see the first signs of my currant tomatoes germinating, so excited!!
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am determined for another full weekend at the allotment, which might start tomorrow if the weather looks good :)

All the seedlings are looking ok(ish). Think I can safely say I've lost the brussels and spinach - started too early. But the cucumbers, cornichons, tomatoes, lavender etc all seem to be doing ok. Peas are pretty much always a safe bet really. Oddly I have only one sunflower come up out of 12, so might get some more in.
    Be interested to see if anything that was sown direct has started to come up yet at the allotment...... we wait with baited breath ;)

Happy growing everyone
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It is so cold here today that I almost feel ok that I've not planted any seeds yet. The cricket pitch next to our house is completely white with the thick frost.

However, I must plant some seed today or it really will be too late for some. I think I may have to bring them indoors though.
    Spend less now, work less later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport