Extension lead being tripped by heater

Options
I've tried unsuccessfully to plug a fan heater into a 6 way extension lead, where each of the sockets appears to have a 3amp fuse (might be wrong about the amp rating)

The heater will work for approx 5 seconds then switch off, presumably cause the fuse in the extension has tripped.

What kind I extension, with regards fuse rating would I need to enable use of the heater?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Never use an extension of any kind with a fan heater.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    hungledink wrote: »
    I've tried unsuccessfully to plug a fan heater into a 6 way extension lead, where each of the sockets appears to have a 3amp fuse (might be wrong about the amp rating)

The heater will work for approx 5 seconds then switch off, presumably cause the fuse in the extension has tripped.

What kind I extension, with regards fuse rating would I need to enable use of the heater?

What is maximum KW stated for the lead and what is the total for all items plugged in......The heater will be quite high
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Assuming it's a 2kw or less heater, you need a 13amp lead all the way from the heater to the socket.
    Don't recommend extension leads but as long as you don't leave it unattended.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure