PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2015 Cookbook challenge

Comments

• Hi I would like to join in as well. I have culled my recipe cooks and tend to use the interweb a lot but have the three Hairy Dieters cook books which I intend to use among others. I will aim for one new recipients a week. I'm not very tech savvy so will most like not be posting pictures but will give a description of the results of my trials. :)
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    This sounds like a great idea. I keep buying more cookbooks even though I have loads of recipes untried in the existing ones.
  • penny_less
    penny_less Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2015 at 9:48PM
    Hi, I'll join,too! I have loads of recipe books but don't use them as much as I should. I have the Hairy Dieters 3 cookbooks and although I used loads of the recipes from the first books, I have hardly tried any out of the other two. My main goal will be to try at least one new recipe a week from books 2 and 3.

Just editing to say I have just noticed Mrs veg plot's post and it seems our goal is very similar! It will be interesting to compare!
  • LESLAMP
    LESLAMP Posts: 110 Forumite
    I'm in. We tried a new recipe just the other day from the fastest Hairy Dieters book. Chicken cacciatore it was delicious, next to be tried will be their potato bread. We were given a large sack of spuds for a Xmas premise so spuds will be featuring heavily in our diet for the next few months. Lol
    Credit Card £[STRIKE]2332.04[/STRIKE] at 1st Jan 14 now £2089 :mad:
    Joint debts currently £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] £17388 Debt Free date dec [STRIKE]Jan 2025[/STRIKE] :(2022:)

PAD since 20/08/15 £61.16
  • aliwali
    aliwali Posts: 407 Forumite
    I'm pretty good at using my cookbooks but would love to join you. My boys tried school dinners last term and although they enjoyed them it didn't save me any money on the food bill and my eldest still wanted a cooked meal in the evening. So it's back to packed lunches and me providing wholesome food in the evening. I bought JO Ministry of Food a while back and there are lots of recipes that I'm sure the kids will eat so I might start with that one. My DD will just have to have 2 cooked meals as she gets the free meals as she is in foundation. I can't see that it will do her any harm. Look forward to sharing.
    Fashion on a ration 0 of 66
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2015 at 11:57PM
    Please count me in as I am on the NOT BUYING IT thread and part of this year is to cull some of my stuff which includes lots of recipe books have accumulated.
    I plan to do one new one a week and if it is popular will copy it out to save with the aim of donating the actual cookery book (if that makes sense?) Today I made a root veg crumble from the Cranks cookbook which will be eaten tomorrow so will report back but smells good and used only store cupboard stuff and is easily varied.
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 January 2015 at 12:10AM
    Hello.

Venturing out of DFW section as this caught my attention. I was just saying to OH (in the spirit of new years resolutions) that we should cook different foods and make more from scratch. We are trying to become more mature and live less like students (neither of us are students any more but are both quite immature).
    :o

So this is exactly right for me as I have heaps of cookery books and loads of recipes saved on the internet. Although I might give my Zumbo cookery book a miss on this challenge.
    ;)

The aim is to try at least one new recipe a week but we will try to do more. I would love to get better at cooking and have more recipes that I can actually cook.
    Hope you don't mind me joining in.
    :)

edit: fairy3... I have a folder with recipes from the internet so that I don't have to keep tracking them down. I haven't really tried to make any of them though.
    I would also like to get rid of the cookbooks eventually.
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • KDF
    KDF Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Wow! I'm amazed by the response and that everyone has similar feelings to me! The common goal seems to be 1 new recipe a week and I will aim for that too.

I'll will also add which recipe I've used and am happy to share although I have no idea to upload photos! As a start I'm going to try the ice cream recipe from JO Comfort Foods as I have loads of cream un-used from Christmas which will soon go out of date.

I'm also going to re-visit recipes I haven't cooked for a while as I go through the books. I made the Delia minestrone soup from her soup collection on Tuesday, as I haven't made that for a couple of years. It was delicious and made good use of a large amount of the turkey stock. It also feels healthy after all the Christmas over-eating as it's full of vegetables.

I also made a batch of left over veg soup....some cooked veg lurking in the fridge from Christmas along with a few in the salad box that would go to waste....1/4 of a swede etc. I even threw in the leftover Brussels thinking that would be my undoing but once blended and a dash of cream added (I seriously overpurchased!) it is also good. It is now stashed in the freezer as we have the minestrone to eat. Fortunately I love soup for lunch and bought a new soup flask in the Sainsbo sale to use at work.

I will count up my cook books tomorrow and add ....I'll not start on the stack of Good Food magazines and recipes saved from the internet. However that reminds me of a great blackberry ice cream recipe I found online in the autumn and made. I found some blackberries in the freezer the other day so that will tackle more of the cream mountain! Best go freeze by ice cream maker bowl.

Happy cooking all x
  • Thanks for starting this thread I would like to join in, I have loads of cook books(last time I counted over300) my cooking of late has got very repetitive some thing week out so I will try one new thing a week
    Dee x
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • This sounds like the kind of challenge for me! OH and I have just moved in together and although I have lots of cookbooks I tend to bake rather than cook. OH is very good at throwing things in a pan and it tasting good, I'm more of a using a recipe sort of girl. So going to make use of my books this year!
    NSDs January - 3/8 2017 total - 3
    declutter challenge 67/2017
    Goodreads Challenge 0/30
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills