MMD: Should I let them bury the dog?

Comments

• It is NOT illegal to bury either a person or pet in your own garden!!:A
  • softuk
    softuk Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jay.tyler wrote: »
    This is the easiest yet. The answer is of course no.

This is for the reason that it is illegal to bury pets in your garden. I'd suggest something along the lines of "I am a law abiding citizen and would not like to aid or abet you in your illegal activites, please leave my property".

I thought better of this site but I guess it's indicative of the downhill ride of this site.

It is NOT illegal to bury a pet in the garden.Most council bylaws permit home owners to bury their pet cat or dog in the garden provided that the pet didn't die from some serious disease that could cause it to become hazardous waste.

However, in this instance, I would tactfully suggest to the prospective purchasers that the best way forward would be for the dog to have an individual cremation (as opposed to a cremation where several animals are crematedtogether) and they can then retain the ashes whoch can be buried in the garden once the purchase is completed.
  • steve6375
    steve6375 Posts: 55 Forumite
    If so say - yes you can bury it - if they...
    1. Pay £1000 - redeemable when they purchase the house
    2. Dig the hole at least 5 ft deep and cover it up properly (no mound of soil)
    ss
  • Hi
    If you have an appropriate space in your garden I would allow them to bury the dog as you do not want to lose the sale in this market. However, I would make sure you have their present home address, and preferably where at least one of them works too, so that if they pull out of the sale you can dig it up and take it back to them!
    Arthur
  • Surely if they were that desperate to bury the dog in the garden then they could get a coffin for the dog, put the dog in it, have it sealed and shrink wrapped, then bury it when they got there. A great dane is a big dog and if the sale fell through then their act of burial and then retrieval of this dog could cause a lot of disruption to the garden, which is almost certainly a big thing when selling the house.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Gillsx
    Gillsx Posts: 56 Forumite
    I would allow it as long as no mess was left after the burial. See it as they are committed to the purchase which is so important in this market. What have you got to lose?
  • jazimews
    jazimews Posts: 22 Forumite
    I would say no. If they love their pet that much they would have it cremated and then bring the urn containing the ashes with them once they have moved in. This also allows them to take their pets ashes with them if they move again in the future.
    I've recently lost two cats to illness and I cherish having their ashes in their little wooden urns. I feel like I still have them with me, which brings great comfort. I plan to have little memorials for them in the garden, but their ashes will always stay inside the house, in case I ever move, can then take them with me. I'm sure the peospective buyers would find this much more appealing than burying their dog. Their vet can arrange the cremation for them.
  • Yes. Let them bury the dog and afterwards, before exchange of contracts, put the house price up by £5,000.
  • Tell them to stuff it ....
  • Tricia_Mc
    Tricia_Mc Posts: 31 Forumite
    This is a no-brainer. No - you don't make any changes or allow the prospective purchaser to make any changes to your property until completion. Even after exchange of contracts the sale could fall through, and you are stuck with the changes.
    The pros and cons of burying pets in your garden are irrelevant (if interesting)
    Even if the buyers were strongly committed to completing the purchase after the dog was buried, they may not be able to (eg if their own sale falls through, they lose their jobs etc)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure