Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay the window cleaner?

Comments

• pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Am I the only person who thinks these real life "money moral dilemmas" are not dilemmas? I much prefer the old style one's, which at least made you think....

For instance, this is the simplest question ever posted. You've not paid, you've told the window cleaner you don't want your windows cleaned by him. So you're under no obligation to pay.

Simple as can be.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I just wish there was a window cleaner round here - even one who makes mistakes - mind, my top windows are in such a state that I'd find him suffering from exhaustion.

(I know it's not very MSE but health & mobility problems mean I can't climb up to do them myself!)
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I wonder if the "consideration before the fact" would work here - meaning that payment has to be agreed before goods or services are provided. You cannot turn up and clean someone's car and then turn around and say you want payment for this. He is turning up and cleaning your windows and saying he wants payment. You did not arrange or agree to this.

I most certainly would not pay, as others have said this could be taken as agreement to having your windows cleaned. It may well be a way of trying to drum up trade - he might think he might as well clean your windows while he is cleaning the others (I assume "A" still gets the windows cleaned?) and chance that you will start to feel guilty enough to pay him.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • philgee
    philgee Posts: 1,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    edited 14 July 2010 at 7:59AM
    Don't pay! The guy is obviously an idiot, who can't organise himself. Or a chancer.

Just enjoy the free window cleaning!
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd pay him this time (as long as this is the first time)

But I would explain to him that I hadn't contracted his services before, and wouldn't be doing so again, but as he may have made a mistake by cleaning the wrong windows then as I have received the service (unless I'd already done them myself that week) I'd only be paying this time. If he turns up again there will be no payment.

I'd also put a note in my front window, stating 'No Windows to be cleaned - will NOT pay.'

Seems very difficult to get yourself blacklisted here!!! I'd hate to be the neighbour who asked for my windows to be cleaned - maybe their'ye missing out!!!!
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • beans
    beans Posts: 15 Forumite
    If he cleans your windows, but you have never agreed with him to clean your windows, then it's his fault. It could well be a trick he's using to make you feel guilty and recruit new customers.

If however he keeps on cleaning them, then you really should inform him that you never asked him to clean your windows, and that you do not intend to pay him for his services and tell him not to enter your property again.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Am I the only person who thinks these real life "money moral dilemmas" are not dilemmas? I much prefer the old style one's, which at least made you think....

For instance, this is the simplest question ever posted. You've not paid, you've told the window cleaner you don't want your windows cleaned by him. So you're under no obligation to pay.

Simple as can be.
    I agree. I read the question and thought "That's not a dilemma". It's simple - you didn't ask him to clean the windows, so you don't pay him. If he wants to clean your windows, whether by mistake or not, he does so for free.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • no of course you shouldn't pay!

thankfully i won't have the issue of 'have they or hasven't they cleaned the windows' as i've got a couple of cctv cameras around the outside of the house!

i can see why the window cleaners get confused sometimes though - we live in a semi (which is 2 bedroom) and the other half of the whole 'house' is 2x 1 bedroom flats.... confusing! took us a while to figure that out after moving in!

anyway, good luck with arguing it out with them, no should me no! :D
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If someone sent you a £200 bottle of champagne in the post unsolicited and then said you owed them £200, would you pay? Of course not!

Just because it's probably only a fiver or so, the principle isn't any different.

If you didn't request the service it's not your problem, you have no moral obligation to pay and you've just got a freebie thanks to your daft/sneaky window cleaner (who very well may be touting for business).
  • gazzebo69
    gazzebo69 Posts: 79 Forumite
    There really isnt anything more to be said in this, but Nooooooooooo.

If he keeps cleaning them, then thats his problem, you`ve said that you have never asked for them done, chancer for certain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure