The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• rb10 wrote: »
    Just write a letter asking to close accounts with account numbers A, B, C, etc. Put it through a branch letterbox or post it to them. Quick & easy.

Probably sounds ridiculous, but I didn't really think that my savings accounts had any relationship with my local branch at all.
    I used to use Bank Of Scotland, then for years only used their telephone bank, CentreBank, which turned into Bank Of Scotland online using their floppy disk thing, then as the internet grew it was Bank Of Scotland online properly, then Halifax Bank Of Scotland online.
    I haven't been into a local branch for many years.
    Recently I was sent a letter telling me they were stopping my £250 overdraft facility, but that I should make an appointment to visit my local branch to discuss this if it was unsuitable.
    I just left it as it is, and don't go overdrawn.
    Sometimes I think they just want to get rid of me. :)
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I suspect these days people do not 'belong' to branches as such. Any branch would be able to call up your details with links to the central hub.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I suspect these days people do not 'belong' to branches as such. Any branch would be able to call up your details with links to the central hub.
    Sadly, some people do 'belong' to branches - such as those that are being sold off...:(
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I presume they will transfer the business to another branch or to whoever is taking over.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I presume they will transfer the business to another branch or to whoever is taking over.
    Unfortunately they will be transferred to whoever is taking over, transfers to another branch not allowed - no choice for the "customer"...
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Probably sounds ridiculous, but I didn't really think that my savings accounts had any relationship with my local branch at all.

Nope, but the branch can still close accounts or forward the letter to the department that can.

You seem determined to make this difficult for yourself!
  • rb10 wrote: »
    You seem determined to make this difficult for yourself!

Not really, I haven't done anything strenuous.
    When my present savings rate finishes I will either transfer my balance into my current account then into a new Nationwide MySave at 2.25% or follow your info and just open a new savings account with HBOS at 2.05%.
    I was only commenting that I won't be contacting a local branch, if HBOS wants to continue sending me seven statements for defunct savings accounts with a few pennies in them, and one statement with a £1 in it every year thats up to them.
    If they just had informed me the interest rate on my present savings account would drop from 2.30% to their best rate currently of 2.05% I would have left my balance where it is.
    Dropping it to 1.80% seems a bit pointless, it just means I either open yet another account or move my money elsewhere.
    Maybe if somebody from HBOS reads these threads they might think hang on, we are just annoying people for no purpose.
    Then again perhaps my reaction is not typical and HBOS may know what they are doing.
    I will probably end up staying with HBOS, but then again I may not. :cool:
  • Recently retired so have time to manage my finances now.
    Missed out on a few months higher interest from a Santander esaver account which was my fault for not keeping track of it, however a few decent banks/building societies now contact the saver and inform them when the end date is near.
    No such luck with Santander :mad:.
    So after looking around I went for the West Brom B/S which is currently giving savers a massive 2.52% :eek: ( Oh I.C.I.C.I where is your 7% interest rate now :( ), truly shocking but the best I have found. You can take money out 4 times a year without penalty so not too bad in this political climate of poverty. :(
  • LG88_2
    LG88_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    All,

Need some help! I have had a First Direct Regular Saver (8%), and its coming to its one year anniversary next week, and will be transferred to its Savings Account (0.05%) , so I was planning on transferring it back to my current account, and investing it elsewhere.

Any tips on where I could put it into next? I have current accounts with FD, Santander, Halifax, and IF, if any of those have associated savers that have good rates for a year?

I was appealed by the Cheshire BS Regular at 5%, however it’s a branch only account, and I don’t live in that area, which is a shame.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers, LG :)
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You can also open another FD regular saver.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback