Target 2013... Half Marathon under 2 Hrs:cool:

Run 2013 VLM in PB: -4:28.26
  • 32b3in2013
    32b3in2013 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Could I please join you all?

I started a running course earlier this year and didn't finish the course due to pressures of work. (I have to take one morning off a week to go to the class and it wasn't sustainable)

Anyway, I am going to start running again. I am VERY slow, so I am going to start on my own so I do not slow anyone down. I have downloaded an app on my phone to do 0-5k in 6 weeks.

I am going to start on Tuesday as I am out tomorrow evening (I could go tomorrow morning before work, which I might do).

I have subscribed to this thread so I hope it is OK for me to join in?

32b
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    SPC10 #125 - £851.81
    SPC 11 #7 - £968.46
    SPC 12 #7 - £2682.90
    SPC 13 #7 - £4829.85
    SPC 14 #7 - £4173.30
  • tudorfan22
    Options
    hi there, this is the first time ive come across this thread, i am doing my 2nd half marathon in feb in brighton, i did it last year but i really wasnt that happy with my time so im doing it again, i also quite love/hate the whole running thing, love it when its going well, hate it when its raining or frosty etc! i did a 5 mile today but im worried im not far enough into the training for a 1/2 marathon on the 17th feb, any advice from seasoned runners? i try do to do 2 3/4 runs a week and a long one on a sun morning, hoping to up my milage by 1 mile a week, week on week from now on to get on track. any ideas to help me?
    )

:beer:
  • mascott514
    Options
    32b3in2013 wrote: »
    Hi

Could I please join you all?

I started a running course earlier this year and didn't finish the course due to pressures of work. (I have to take one morning off a week to go to the class and it wasn't sustainable)

Anyway, I am going to start running again. I am VERY slow, so I am going to start on my own so I do not slow anyone down. I have downloaded an app on my phone to do 0-5k in 6 weeks.

I am going to start on Tuesday as I am out tomorrow evening (I could go tomorrow morning before work, which I might do).

I have subscribed to this thread so I hope it is OK for me to join in?

32b

Welcome 32B,
    its a Virtual club where you come to get ideas, inspiration, or just to tell all about what you have achieved.

its not an issue, being slow, we all were once, and many still are.

good luck
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2013: No 1898

• mascott514
    Options
    tudorfan22 wrote: »
    hi there, this is the first time ive come across this thread, i am doing my 2nd half marathon in feb in brighton, i did it last year but i really wasnt that happy with my time so im doing it again, i also quite love/hate the whole running thing, love it when its going well, hate it when its raining or frosty etc! i did a 5 mile today but im worried im not far enough into the training for a 1/2 marathon on the 17th feb, any advice from seasoned runners? i try do to do 2 3/4 runs a week and a long one on a sun morning, hoping to up my milage by 1 mile a week, week on week from now on to get on track. any ideas to help me?

Hi Tudor,
    your distances are fine i would say. if you can get up to 10-12 miles long run you will be there or there abouts.

I am doing Tunbridge Wells a couple of weeks after you, and havent really got a plan yet, just plenty of runs about 10km for now.

Good luck
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2013: No 1898

• southernbelle
    Options
    Hi there, I am going to subscribe to this thread.

I prefer to run half marathon distances, have done 2 so far (Royal Parks in 2010 and Bath in 2011) and did the Great South Run this year.

I don't tend to do any training though, I am quite fit in general through other things. I really need to improve my running though.

Will be following with interest :)
    Total Debt: £0 [STRIKE]£33,043[/STRIKE]
    Official DFW Nerd No. 763
    :jDMP start date Aug 2011~DFD Aug 2013 :j
  • marathon_man_3
    Options

I don't tend to do any training though, I am quite fit in general through other things. I really need to improve my running though.

Will be following with interest :)

I would respectfully suggest that you will find it difficult to improve if you don't train. I found that if I only ever trained at one pace then my race pace would certainly be no faster.
  • southernbelle
    Options
    I've improved on my times each time through my general fitness - as I said though, I'd like to improve my running in general so will be starting to train. I need to get out of the mind set that training is cheating - there will come a time when I can no longer run 13 miles with no preparation.
    Total Debt: £0 [STRIKE]£33,043[/STRIKE]
    Official DFW Nerd No. 763
    :jDMP start date Aug 2011~DFD Aug 2013 :j
  • marathon_man_3
    Options
    I've improved on my times each time through my general fitness - as I said though, I'd like to improve my running in general so will be starting to train. I need to get out of the mind set that training is cheating - there will come a time when I can no longer run 13 miles with no preparation.
    It is definitely not "cheating" but a means to an end.
    I was certainly no natural athlete at any time but, by the means of regular training, I managed to finish 32 full marathons and around 150 half marathons. In addition, I ran all sorts of smaller distance races and distances between 5 miles and 20 miles in training. If I hadn't done the training, I most certainly wouldn't have done what I did and carry my fitness though to my mid-60s (which is where I am now).

Your best bet is, perhaps, to find others to run with in training. That will get you out of the house with your trainers on when you might feel like doing something less energetic instead.
  • poodlegal
    Options
    Finally got myself out this morning. 5.3 miles, 1 hr 3 mins, hilly trail. It was blowing a gale but :j Feel great now (especially as I got overtaken by a mountain bike but then almost caught him again on the hill)! Going to try and follow a half marathon plan, not to the letter but just milage wise for a couple of weeks just to get a base level. Then sit down and look what i'm entering Feb onwards to see what I need to do. Love having my mojo back:rotfl:Just hope can keep it going now, and more imprortantly stay injury free :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure