PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The beasts are back - help!

2»

Comments

• shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What a soft lot you are !

I love spiders in the house and always leave a few webs where they are not obvious to keep the flies down in summer .

I have had a few massive spiders hand tame in the past !
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    OP, I disagree with the poster who says "what a soft lot you are" because if you have a genuine fear, it's not to be laughed at.:naughty:

I do genuinely like spiders, but I respect your predicament. The overcoming the fear course is a good plan; we don't generally get seriously dangerous spiders in this country.

Discouraging them? I don't really know - I always pick them up with a glass and a piece of cardboard and evict them if I think my current canine guest will harm them, but that won't be for you I suspect.

I have heard of the conker method, though not tried it myself. Maybe worth a go, though?

I wish you luck, and hope you can come to an amicable arrangement with our arachnid friends.

Oh, and if anyone has an idea how to discourage wasps... I am seriously allergic (as in A&E licketty-split).:eek:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    These spiders must be feeding off something. If you kill them or deter them, you might be overrun by smaller pests.
    Also have read that cinnamon works or any essential oil.
  • I'm scared of them too. I've tried to be hypnotised, but it didn't work.
    I've tried the horse chestnut spray and cockers. Didn't seem to have much effect for me.

What I swear by is crawling insect spray, raid. It's the red can. Spray around door frames and window frames externally. It will need reapplying every couple of months or so. if you spray a line of that stuff on the ground a spider won't cross it. It also stops ants too.
  • tessasmum
    tessasmum Posts: 238 Forumite
    I can also recommend the conker method - we have small bowls of them all over the house and have seen a huge reduction in the number of spiders we are seeing in the house. I shall be refreshing the bowls with new conkers later in the year.
    December GC: £350
  • OurLass
    OurLass Posts: 253 Forumite
    I'm scared of them too. I've tried to be hypnotised, but it didn't work.
    I've tried the horse chestnut spray and cockers. Didn't seem to have much effect for me.

What I swear by is crawling insect spray, raid. It's the red can. Spray around door frames and window frames externally. It will need reapplying every couple of months or so. if you spray a line of that stuff on the ground a spider won't cross it. It also stops ants too.

Thank you:)I'm okay with spiders,but HATE ants!
    There's always an army of them :eek::eek:
  • Having lived in Australia we used to spray the house after spring cleaning every year. Hoover all carpets and wash all floors, then wipe down all the skirting boards. Then we would hold the insect spray (the one designed for surfaces) and walk slowly around every room and spray along the edges where the walls meet the floor - hold the can about a foot and half away spraying as you go. Worked wonders for all bugs, some (like cockroaches) do still come in but they die quick. Takes a few cans if you have a big house but it works a charm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure