PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Claire's OS house deposit quest!

Miss_Purple_Hat
Miss_Purple_Hat Posts: 74 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 28 December 2014 at 10:44AM in Old style MoneySaving
I'm sorry if there's no room for another thread like this - please let me know or move it if necessary. :)

I'm a major lurker on this board and love reading the wonderful tips and how everyone's doing with their OS ways. But my internet connection is terrible so I don't often manage to keep up with all the threads. (I rent a cheap flat and had the option for this connection included so I put up with it!)

I'm 25 years old and have been working in a reasonably good job out of uni for just over a year. In that time I have bought a new (10 years old, but new to me!) car to keep me going for the next 5 years and went on a wonderful trip to Chicago. Now it's time to save for a house deposit. As a huge fan of the OS board, I'd like to do it the OS way.

I love to cook from scratch and bake so that's certainly not an issue, I just need to keep prepared and not be tempted by the work canteen and vending machine's offerings! I also need to not bake a batch of cakes and eat them in one sitting...! I often bake and then take to work, but will have to disappoint my colleagues for a year in the name of money saving. :money:

There are certain limitations in that I have quite bad eczema so when it's bad on my hands I can't prep food. (Makes me sad when this happens as I do love to cook, but it's like rubbing salt into wounds! :( ) I also inherited my mum's early onset arthritis so I cannot knead bread by hand or anything like that as my hands start to seize up and I can't mix really thick mixtures using a spoon for too long as it hurts my wrists.

I love card making and have quite a bit of stuff, so I need to use what I have and limit my spending on that. I rarely buy new clothes unless I really have to - I rotate between a couple of pairs of jeans and 2 pairs of work trousers, and about 10 tops. I have a gym membership that I don't use often enough and am debating giving up.

I love short term projects. I love planning things. Can I stick to plans? No. I have the willpower of a child presented with a bowl of sweets (which is why I'm 5 stone over my ideal weight) so I will be relying on the presence of this thread on here to keep me motivated. I'm also hoping sticking to meal plans of reasonable portions will help with the weight problem. ;)

And... I'm rattling on. Getting to the point...

My challenge starts on 5th January when I get back to work from staying at my parents' over Christmas. I should be able to save £500 per month (praying the car doesn't break down, etc.) and so by the end of 2015 have enough to pay a reasonable house deposit of about £10,000.

If anyone wants to join in and save up some money in 2015, feel free!

Summary of savings:

Claire (Miss_Purple_Hat)
Jan 2015 - £0 / £6,000
Weight lost: 0 / 84lbs

CRANKY40
NewShadow
rosie383 ???
pollyanna24
mumto2monkeys
kboss2010
brownsauce
skintmum
lushlifesaver
Toonie ???
Making mistakes is not the end of the world, though it often feels that way!

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, Glad you have joined in :) There is always plenty of room for threads like this IMHO.

You are well aware of what you can do baking wise, health permitting that is. But a suggestion I have is if you do make a batch of cakes, then leave enough out to see you through a couple of days and freeze the rest. Nearly all cakes freeze perfectly with the obvious exception of fresh fruit and cream. I've read on here that its a method used quite a lot to prevent scoffing the lot! :D

As for avoiding the vending machine, take something with you to snack on, do you like dried fruit, apricots, dates etc. They are sweet without being sweets IYSWIM. They are usually cheaper in the baking isles in supermarkets.

An idea for gym membership especially if you enjoy it and want to keep it up is have you looked at Council or Council Leisure Centre Gyms rather than the big chain places. When I used to go I paid £12 a month and could choose one of three across our city. Or £15 if I wanted to swim (I don't swim so never chose this) They are not the poshest of places but you don't pay for that. I had a full induction first and full instruction then you can go as often as you wanted. I stopped because I got a manual job and already had an allotment so I decided that that was quite enough!

HTH
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2014 at 9:02PM
    I love you already Miss purple hat! And I can't wait to see how you get on. Sounds as if you are ahead of a lot of 25yr olds. I wish I had been half as canny as you are at that age.

And if you are freezing cakes as Linda suggested, slice them first then you can take out a couple of slices at a time.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,755 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd like to join and save enough money to take ds (aged 10) on a really good holiday in 2016. I already have the house as I'm a widow and a good deal older than you :rotfl:

I'm on a limited budget as I have taken a career break so I don't have to find holiday child care for my son. This was very important in the couple of years after his dad died when he needed me around. Lest anyone think that I am depleting the government coffers, we live on my widows pension from the late Mr Cranky's employer and also widowed parents allowance, both of which I would still get if I had a wage coming in.

I also have arthritis Claire. It's in my spine and my wrists and thumbs. I can still make shortbread if I do it on a good day but tend not to.....I have the same 5 stone to lose that you do. Jack Monroe has a recipe on her first cookbook for pizza dough that doesn't hurt my hands to make, and is also cheap and easy. The recipe is also on her website.

I can't afford a gym membership but I would like to get back to walking for at least half an hour a day which I did before we moved house last May and chaos took over for a couple of months.

January the 5th you say :D
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2014 at 9:35PM
    rosie383 wrote: »

And if you are freezing cakes as Linda suggested, slice them first then you can take out a couple of slices at a time.

doh! yes do make sure you do this, it would rather defeat the object otherwise :D Well I knew what I meant!

Edited to add, I use an idea for home made pizza which would be easy on the hands. Use a naan bread as the pizza base. Spread with tomato purree, add whatever topping and sprinkle cheese over and cook accordingly. I think I might have taken the idea from Nigella in the first place. You can also get the flavoured naan breads as well and again these freeze perfectly. Individually of course. :rotfl:

They work really well, I used to do courgette and mushroom diced when we had an abundance of courgettes one year.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi Claire - Wow.

If I'd posted this thread it wouldn't be too much different from yours. I've got eczema that flares up really badly, a gym membership I never use, 5 stone too much weight, and a desire to but a house... do you also have three little fuzzbabies? :rotfl:

I'm fiveish years older than you, and probably can only manage about £200-250 savings a month reliably. More may be had with overtime.

I've already decided my initial plan will be to limit my spending on food to £1500 in 2015.

I'm also intending to run 250 miles next year (around 5 miles or 8km a week). I used to run 5 miles a day, three times a week, but that was about 10 years ago. Planning on getting back there. :j

I haven't yet set a yearly goal for my other spends - clothes and the like, but I'm thinking somewhere between £500 and £1000.

But then I cheated a little bit with that one - I bought a second hand treadmill from a colleague at work and bought a new set of trainers in preparation in the black friday sales. I've also got a mountain of clothes that are just a little too small for me, so I've a real incentive to drop a stone for summer. :money:

There will be one event this year - I'm 30 in September - I've been banking my leave and I've got the whole month booked off work, so I need to figure out (as cheaply as possible) what I can do to make it special. Open to suggestions :D

Not trying to take over your thread - mind if I follow along and share some support back and forth this year?
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Hi all! Lovely to hear from you all! The more the merrier on this thread. I look forward to us all sharing our successes. ;)

Unfortunately the internet connection is having none of it today so I'm just writing a quick response on my phone but I promise I will write a full response when I'm at my parents' house tomorrow. :)
  • Managed to get connected to the internet - praying it doesn't give up before I can post - if you see this I was successful! :p

[I've skipped quoting people as this post will be really long otherwise!]

Hi Linda!

I have heard of the freezing cakes bit, though wasn't sure the cakes would taste as good from the freezer. Do I need to freeze them in containers with greaseproof or something in between?

I did try this with sliced swiss roll but made the extremely unfortunate discovery that it actually tastes so much better straight from the freezer! :rotfl:

I don't mind dried sultanas but I've never tried much other dried fruit, unfortunately. What dried fruit do you recommend? I do like fresh fruit but it's a case of having something that's not messy at my desk. I've had really juicy fruit before and somehow managed to make a complete mess!

When it comes to gym memberships it's just not that cheap around here. I'm paying £35 a month (:eek: I know!) and that's fairly standard. I just don't think I use it often enough for that price. I rent a cheap flat that I was very lucky to get as it's in a wealthy village and the office where I work is in a well-off town nearby so mostly the better-off are catered for. Can't get a haircut for cheaper than £40 around here! :eek:

As to your second post - I knew what you meant about the cakes. I did say a batch of them thinking fairy cakes and the like so I reckon we were just on the same wavelength. ;)

I never considered naan as a pizza base. Might be worth a try! I did in my skint uni years toast a slice of bread and top with tomato puree and cheese but I reckon a naan bread would be better!

Hi Rosie!

My parents have never been that well off but have always been good at handling their money so I think I get it from them. :) I somehow realised the value of money quite early on. I used to choose the cheapest ice cream from the ice cream man when on holiday because I knew it cost less and I liked it anyway!

Hi Cranky!

You are very welcome to join in - would you like me to add you to the summary as a total so far and update as we go along?

Taking the ds on holiday sounds wonderful, do you have any ideas on where you'd like to go yet? :)

No judgement here on anyone taking government money if needed - I really do hate the misconceptions around it that's caused by the media picking out the minority of cases that seem unfair and making a huge deal of it. That money is there for a reason and though I find the few who "work the system" or whatever frustrating, there are so many who really need it.

Sorry to hear you have arthritis (if that's the right words), I know it's a very unforgiving sort of problem and can be frustrating. My mum has it quite badly but I'm just at the beginning of it so I do count myself lucky that it's not too bad yet and is only really in my hands and wrists at the moment.

I may have to have a go at the pizza dough as I've never made pizza. I need to make more effort to make some different things as I do cycle through the standard stir fry, chicken korma, pasta, etc.

I quite like walking, too. Perhaps an alternative to the gym once it gets warmer? ;)

January 5th indeed. :T

Hi NewShadow!

Are you my clone? :D

Unfortunately I don't have any pets (assuming that's what you mean by fuzzbabies?!)

Good luck with your running goal! I never have been much good at running. Do you have a plan to get you started? I downloaded the couch to 5K about a year ago but I struggled to stick to it as I chose the wrong time of year, really - my eczema can't handle the cold. How do you manage your eczema with the cold weather? Make sure to keep us posted on how you're doing, and let us know any tips for newbies trying to start up running. (I say running, but more "slow jogging". :D )

I am just the same with the clothes that are too small! I may only rotate a few currently, but I have an entire wardrobe stuffed full of clothes of sizes 14 and 16 that definitely do not fit at all. I'm thinking a mutual summer goal could be to get into an outfit we haven't been able to wear that's been sat in our wardrobes?

A whole month off sounds exciting! What sort of thing would you like to do? Are you thinking cheap travel, or going for something a bit closer to home?

You can post as much as you like. I love to read what other people are up to (hence the frequent lurking and rare posting). You will probably already note that I like to write essay-length posts when time permits so I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to take over! :rotfl:

I've decided that, at least to start with, my plan for stashing the money into my ISA and adding it up will be that when I get paid I will put whatever didn't come from my wages (ie. was left in the account already) into my savings. So the adding up for me will only occur once a month when I get paid. I do have a "safety cushion" in an instant access online savings account so would have this to deal with unexpected costs (car repairs, etc.). There should be enough in my wages to cover car insurance, etc when that comes around (I pay yearly) but that means I will just put less in the savings during such months. So my savings will be a bit uneven but should average £500 a month over the year.

I have a thing for numbers and like to keep everything in one place so I will probably do a bit like the grocery challenge and post all my spends on here.

Sorry, I do waffle a bit once I get started! :cool:
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,755 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You won't believe this, but I asked the boy what his fantasy holiday is thinking he would say Disney. How wrong is it possible to be? He wants to stay in the Shangri-La hotel in the Shard in London and swim in their pool on the 52nd floor. He is 10! He did say to make it worth while we could have a couple of nights in the travel lodge in Covent Garden which is where we usually stay when we go to visit my dad.

I also have a wardrobe full of clothes that would fit me if I was a stone less. I could do the outfit challenge too as I have a lovely mint green Joe Brown dress that I would love to wear in the summer.

Adding up once a month is good. My income arrives at different times of the month due to being paid from different places and at different times. I was unable to cope with trying to figure out if there would be enough for direct debits etc at various times so now all the money coming in is transferred to one account out of which I "pay" myself on the last day of each month. I know my outgoings so pay myself the same each month then tick off the bills as they are paid in my cash book.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    If you are looking to get fitter and can cancel your gym membership, then have a look around for aerobic or zumba clsses in local church halls or community centres. I was doing virtually zero exercise but then a friend persuaded me to go with her to a ladies only aerobics class. It became a social thing for me and I gradually built up to about 4 times a week. I have now joined a ladies only gym in our town which is £19.99/month which costs me less than all of the classes. Most of my pals now go to the gym and we see each other there at the classes. The advantage of a ladies gym is that it isn't full if lycra-clad lovelies. There are some, definitely a minority though. I'm now a couple of stone lighter with another couple to go. Of course, fresh air is free, so walking is probably the best but I think motivation is the biggest factor. My friend doesn't want to go to the gym so meets with a couple of friends for proper long, fast walks about three times a week. I think if you can turn it into a social thing it helps a lot.

Now could someone give me a boot up the bum please? I've been awake since 6.15 and apart from feeding the bunny and making a cuppa, I have done nowt!!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • CRANKY40 wrote: »
    You won't believe this, but I asked the boy what his fantasy holiday is thinking he would say Disney. How wrong is it possible to be? He wants to stay in the Shangri-La hotel in the Shard in London and swim in their pool on the 52nd floor. He is 10! He did say to make it worth while we could have a couple of nights in the travel lodge in Covent Garden which is where we usually stay when we go to visit my dad.

I also have a wardrobe full of clothes that would fit me if I was a stone less. I could do the outfit challenge too as I have a lovely mint green Joe Brown dress that I would love to wear in the summer.

Adding up once a month is good. My income arrives at different times of the month due to being paid from different places and at different times. I was unable to cope with trying to figure out if there would be enough for direct debits etc at various times so now all the money coming in is transferred to one account out of which I "pay" myself on the last day of each month. I know my outgoings so pay myself the same each month then tick off the bills as they are paid in my cash book.

Aww, that's a wonderful response! Definitely different! Maybe other options will come up in 2015 - I understand kids do change their minds a lot. :D

You are welcome to join the outfit challenge. I'm thinking I may dig through my wardrobe and find a specific outfit too so I can hang it out somewhere as a reminder. :)

Sounds complicated with the bills. Sounds like you have a good system going, though. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure