Real life MMD: My ex paid for the hol, should I keep the refund?

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As my wife said this morning - if you keep the money after an 8 week dalliance then its effectively prostitution!!
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I would also say there's more to this dilemma than first appears. For instance, if he had bought her a piece of jewelery for the equivalent worth, would everyone claim it was also stealing for her to keep it, or even sell it?

Unless he only cancelled her part of the holiday then it's not really comparable. If he bought his and hers matching jewelery then there'd be even less of a dilemma if he wanted to return his part of the set.

Aside from that I agree with most other posters, it's his money, give it back. Personal circumstances are irrelevant.
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why don't you keep his refund and earn yourself an alternative cheap break away from the kids at 'Her Majesty's Pleasure'?
  • Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What's the issue here? His money, his refund. Of course you shouldn't keep it. For goodness sake...
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    no, give it back , it's his money , what he earns is irrelevant
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    His money, return it to him.

Ah but this is how a lot of people think.

"The bankers ruined the country therefore I can loot PC World.............."

Given half a chance some people can justify ANYTHING.
  • bionda
    bionda Posts: 13 Forumite
    Of course you must pay the refund back. It seems you were lucky to have this person so generous with his time and his money. Even if you are in a really tight financial position you should contact him which ever way is the best for both of you. Let him know that the refund is coming to you and ask him how you can get the money back to him. You never know he may well say, " you need the money, keep it ". On the other hand if you say nothing and pocket the money, you will ( or should) feel bad. I'm not one for good karma bad karma, but I would say if you sneekingly kept the money you may have to wait a long time to attract something good into your life....and at any time you may get a call from him or someone acting on his behalf to return his money......
  • stir_crazy
    stir_crazy Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    For instance, if he had bought her a piece of jewelery for the equivalent worth, would everyone claim it was also stealing for her to keep it, or even sell it?

This is a holiday they were supposed to go on together, not a gift for the OP. He went to the effort of cancelling the holiday,so I think we can safely asssume that if he didnt want the OP to have a free holiday, he also doesn't want her to keep the refund.
  • Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Absolutely not. Your individual financial circumstances don't come into it. The money isn't yours and you should give it back to him. End of.
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • Don't keep it!

As he went to the trouble of cancelling it, he's gonna be expecting the refund to be arriving any time soon. Contact him and tell him a cheque has arrived in your name which you will cash and put into a savings account and make arrangements for him to collect the money!
    :kisses2: Got married September 2011:smileyhea

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport