'Would you use a 'free' Nando's stamp?

Comments

• I'd like to say no, but I might use it once - just like if I found a 'free coffee' voucher in the street I'd probably use that. When it comes to big corporations (who screw us and people abroad over every day fo a quick buck), I really don't care if they end up giving me a free burger.
  • I think I would use this to be honest! Is this any different to using a promotional code that you are not actually entitled to?!

Alot of people took advantage of first time codes at Tesco e.g £10 or half price sky tv with employee codes.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I wouldn't. There's no way it can be seen as anything but dishonest and I would feel so uncomfortable doing it that I wouldn't enjoy the meal.

(Oh, and I'm a woman in that 30-50 bracket..)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting the discussion is dominated by "Nos" but the poll is over 50% "yes" - possible conclusion those who'd do it dont like to discuss it

As for the results if you balance up the no and yes for each age group and gender category. The older and more female (you know what I mean) you are the less likely you are to do it. - interesting (and smugly as I predicted in MSE Towers before the poll went up - good as normally I get it wrong)

Persoanlly I wouldn't do it - but am trying to work out when I was less well known, less affluent, and younger if i would have done?
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Looking at the replies, I'm distressed that so many people are prepared to be dishonest. using the card and stamp in this way is obviously just plain THEFT. It adds to everybody's cost and will surely mean that the cost rises for everybody else.

The 'YES' brigade are probably the same people who avoid paying the bus/train fare, keeping lost property found in the street, dropping litter (which the councils - we - need to pay to be picked up). They are jusr SELFISH. If everybody was honest our taxes, including council tax, could be significantly reduced.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looking at the replies, I'm distressed that so many people are prepared to be dishonest. using the card and stamp in this way is obviously just plain THEFT. It adds to everybody's cost and will surely mean that the cost rises for everybody else.

The 'YES' brigade are probably the same people who avoid paying the bus/train fare, keeping lost property found in the street, dropping litter (which the councils - we - need to pay to be picked up). They are jusr SELFISH. If everybody was honest our taxes, including council tax, could be significantly reduced.

I'm intrigued by the philosophy of free Nandos = higher council tax.
  • Hi to all

Unfortunately this type of "Theft" costs us all money, If any goods or services change hands there is always a cost, theres no such thing as a free lunch...It's just that you can get someone else to pay. I worked in construction for 30 years most of that time was self employed I remember the look on a passers by face who having asked me "Any chance of a few of them 4" nails you have thier son"
    No problem I replied grabbing a huge fistfull out of my nailbox and puting them in a poly bag that was at hand.
    Here you are I said.....That will be two quid I said. You should have seen the look on his face as he had thought he was getting a freebie.
    (he was getting a bargain by the way the same amount would cost a fiver in b&q)
    I always paid for everything I put in my van and nails or nandos stamp Theft is Theft. Adults should know better.
    I am appaled at the results so far of how many said "Yes"

Chris
  • DRFC1879
    DRFC1879 Posts: 101 Forumite
    I think Martin's post is spot on inasmuch as those who would use the card aren't necessarily going to want to talk about it, however I'll try to buck the trend here.

I would use it without much thought as the free element only constitutes part of the total meal and I would be confident that after having a couple of beers and sundry other food items, the company would still be in profit from my visit and surely the small profit would be better for them than the zero spend they would otherwise receive if I didn't use their restaurant. If I were to have half a chicken FOC this would probably be about £1.50ish at cost to them. They would make that back from the mark-up on one bottle of Sagres.

Net result: I get a cheap meal, they make a few bob. Everyone's a winner. As another poster said, it's not really any different to people using promo codes posted on these very fora every day which are intended for use exclusively by a select group. (I'm a 29 year old man BTW).
  • short_bird wrote: »
    No on 2 counts, I'm a vegetarian...

Nando's do veggie stuff - their mushroom burger with halloumi and chilli jam is rather nice!

I wouldn't do it - I like Nando's but I just think I'd feel guilty eating my quarter chicken knowing that I hadn't got it honestly.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • spugzbunny
    spugzbunny Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Yes I would BUT you need to differentiate between those who would use it say once or twice and those who would use it everytime they went. Or every other time because you need a card to stamp it. If I 'found' one I would probably tell no-one, stamp my card a few extra times then forget about it for a few months.

Incidently, my BF would probably marry me if I got one of these! Wonder if I can buy one!!
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family