Retaliers can use NOCHEX to rip off customers

I purcashsed goods off the internet just before Christmas. The website uses NOCHEX as many do. When the goods didn't arrive I eventaully raised with Mastercard who pointed out that they had no relationship with the Retailer in question but with NOCHEX and that they had fullfilled their payment obligations.

This is very dangerous since it means that all purchase protection afforded by using a credit card disappears when NOCHEX are involved.

I am still pursuing by £49.99 some 4 months on with little progress. Consumers need to be made away that finding NOCHEX in the purchase process is bad news and they should be avoided at all cost. I will be raising with the Personal Finance Press.

Comments

• Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    cooperdp wrote: »
    I purcashsed goods off the internet just before Christmas. The website uses NOCHEX as many do. When the goods didn't arrive I eventaully raised with Mastercard who pointed out that they had no relationship with the Retailer in question but with NOCHEX and that they had fullfilled their payment obligations.

This is very dangerous since it means that all purchase protection afforded by using a credit card disappears when NOCHEX are involved.

I am still pursuing by £49.99 some 4 months on with little progress. Consumers need to be made away that finding NOCHEX in the purchase process is bad news and they should be avoided at all cost. I will be raising with the Personal Finance Press.

This also applies with other online payment methods.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    This also applies with other online payment methods.

Only in your world Mr Brooker.

OP, there is a forum for nochex users and it might be worth asking for help on there. Nochex does not work the same as paypal so it is extremely difficult to get any money back, but I have seen incidences where refunds have been obtained. I gave up my nochex account a few years back as it seemed to not be beneficial for either buyers or sellers, but I'm sure if you find the forum (it used to be called the green room) someone may be able to offer at least some suggestions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Several people have received the same response regarding PayPal - I'd chase up the cc company again and be a little more 'forceful'
  • Brooker_Dave
    soolin wrote: »
    Only in your world Mr Brooker.

There are plenty of people who've used paypal and been told the same thing...

• I would not trust any retailer website that uses paypal or nochex rather than their own credit card processor.
  • Brooker_Dave
    I would not trust any retailer website that uses paypal or nochex rather than their own credit card processor.

Most online retailers will use a third party payment gateway, some like paypal are considered a money transfer service by credit card companies.

As far as I'm aware so long as it's a secure site you've not got too much to worry about.

One of my websites uses Nochex as the payment gateway and the other uses google payments, and everyone seems happy so far.

• bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would not trust any retailer website that uses paypal or nochex rather than their own credit card processor.

Many online retaillers use Paypal as their credit card processor. The reason is that Paypal don't charge a percentage of each transaction rather than a monthly fee, making them a good choice for smaller retaillers who want to be able to take credit card payments via their website.
  • windswept
    windswept Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Hands up how many people know that paypal does not cover you under their seller protection scheme if you use it for website payments, direct (email ) payments or their virtual terminal?
    Their line about being a "merchant account" is laughable - an online business should only be taken seriously if they use a real IMA.
    "There is a light that never goes out"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport