Is there an IDIOTS Guide to installing CCTV myself?

Molly4
Molly4 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 20 March 2017 at 3:56PM in Techie Stuff
Good Afternoon

And before anyone jumps on the word IDIOT I am referring to myself only!!

I am a single mature lady who has been a persistent target for Criminals over many years including being a victim of Criminal Damage, Theft and Anti Social Behaviour committed by both adults, youths and children in this area. The Police have been involved but seem powerless to stop this as most of it is happening when I am not at home. I've done everything I can to secure my property and have come to the last straw so to speak which is to install CCTV. Yes I could employ a Security company to install this for me at great cost. I am fairly intelligent so I think if I buy the right set up I can do it myself although I do find the terminology a bit confusing.

Anyway what I am looking for is to set up CCTV in my home that will cover the outside for example cameras that sit in the window pointing out. I will need up to an 8 camera set up to cover both the front and rear of my property. Something I can link up to a computer or buy a recorder so it records both visual images, video and sound if possible and to operate 24/7. I need a set up that captures clear visual images both day and night as I may need to present the footage in Court.

At the front of my property the camera will capture part of the pavement and street as I want to catch the offenders entering my gate. I have looked into the Data Protection side of things. As I am doing this for my own safety and to protect my property with a view to using the evidence in Court if it comes to that then any images captured from the street are covered.

Hope someone can help me with the correct advice.

Regards

P.S. What I'm looking for is someone to say you need to buy this, this and this and do this and do that and its set up!

P.P.S It doesn't have to be 8 cameras to start with. Perhaps two and then I can add cameras as I go along.

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you have a local costco id recommend the Swann (Rebadgded Hikvision) range.

Simple IP camera setup via your internet browser and the cameras use memory cards for local storage.

You will need to drill some holes in the wall and possibly require long ethernet cables to route towards a plug for power
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    To avoid video storage being an issue (either too much, or getting overwritten) you might want to think about cameras with PIR detection built in, perhaps also linked with security lights to help with image clarity. That way any "visitors" would be lit up, and the PIR would trigger recording to start.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    To avoid video storage being an issue (either too much, or getting overwritten) you might want to think about cameras with PIR detection built in, perhaps also linked with security lights to help with image clarity. That way any "visitors" would be lit up, and the PIR would trigger recording to start.

Most DVRs have motion detection, they compare the images from the cameras, look for a change and start recording. This means that if there is a security light, the light will trigger the CCTV anyway :)
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One thing to consider is how visible you want the camera's to be. Do you want them to be provide you with a deterrent as well as recording images? Or do you feel that very visible cameras might bring more unwanted attention?
  • Molly4
    Hello shopbot

Yes I think more visible cameras will bring more unwanted attention and also attract those intent on causing damage with the camera being the target. That's partly why I want to install them indoors looking outwards if possible. I can drill holes in an interior wall if the cameras have to be mounted but I would have to pay someone to put them up outside which defeats the object of DIY and MSE.

I want the cameras as a deterrent. If I manage to have them less visible indoors do I have to put up signs to say there is CCTV on the premises?
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 8:23PM
    molly57. wrote: »
    Hello shopbot

Yes I think more visible cameras will bring more unwanted attention and also attract those intent on causing damage with the camera being the target. That's partly why I want to install them indoors looking outwards if possible. I can drill holes in an interior wall if the cameras have to be mounted but I would have to pay someone to put them up outside which defeats the object of DIY and MSE.

I want the cameras as a deterrent. If I manage to have them less visible indoors do I have to put up signs to say there is CCTV on the premises?

I would suggest having the cameras mounted outside. If you have them indoors looking out (i.e through your windows) then the physical security of your house is compromised if someone tries to put the camera out of action.

I realise that this is MSE but if you have existing problems and have the financial means it might be best to get a system professionally installed. Like all trades there will be a range of prices and quality of work. A professional installer might well spot problems or give suggestions you might over look.

Is there anything else you can do in the meantime? Security lights, CCTV stickers (even if there is none), a dog etc.

This is a good link re the data protection angle: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    I have just bought a Swann system - its £799 at maplins but found a refurbished set for £425 - been delivered tomorrow.

Used rated trader to find an installer who is willing to install it for me and he has quoted £215 - that is for the 4 cameras and the cabling, been installed from a spare bedroom, into a cupboard, into the attic and down to the soffits and lower walls.

The system I have bought, although has 4 cameras can be expanded to 8, is 4mp, 30m night vision and remote viewing.

So dont think that the total of £650 (ish) will be too bad all in all.
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have used Swann and found it terrible, the software cloud is terrible, it is what I call a "mortgage" product, they expect you to pay 29 a month for just 30 events a day.

They are overpriced and do not seem to do all the things the Hik Vision cameras they OEM do.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello shopbot

Good Afternoon

And before anyone jumps on the word IDIOT I am referring to myself only!!

I am a single mature lady who has been a persistent target for Criminals over many years including being a victim of Criminal Damage, Theft and Anti Social Behaviour committed by both adults, youths and children in this area. The Police have been involved but seem powerless to stop this as most of it is happening when I am not at home. I've done everything I can to secure my property and have come to the last straw so to speak which is to install CCTV. Yes I could employ a Security company to install this for me at great cost. I am fairly intelligent so I think if I buy the right set up I can do it myself although I do find the terminology a bit confusing.

Anyway what I am looking for is to set up CCTV in my home that will cover the outside for example cameras that sit in the window pointing out. I will need up to an 8 camera set up to cover both the front and rear of my property. Something I can link up to a computer or buy a recorder so it records both visual images, video and sound if possible and to operate 24/7. I need a set up that captures clear visual images both day and night as I may need to present the footage in Court.

At the front of my property the camera will capture part of the pavement and street as I want to catch the offenders entering my gate. I have looked into the Data Protection side of things. As I am doing this for my own safety and to protect my property with a view to using the evidence in Court if it comes to that then any images captured from the street are covered.

Hope someone can help me with the correct advice.

Regards

P.S. What I'm looking for is someone to say you need to buy this, this and this and do this and do that and its set up!

P.P.S It doesn't have to be 8 cameras to start with. Perhaps two and then I can add cameras as I go along.

With the greatest of respect to others here, I would suggest that you would be better off posting to a CCTV forum, you will get a much larger group of experienced people.

Putting a CCTV in your house will not work well, first off you lose the audio from the crime which may be crucial. Secondly you record yourself. Thirdly the quality of the picture will be inferior if it is indoors, not just the window but the light and reflection.

Your cameras may be hacked, used to attack websites and even broadcast on the web.

You might want to consider installing them covertly in some sort of bird box, albeit that this may impact on pan and tilt.

I have seen some great deals on Amazon for CCTV but check the 1 star reviews.

I saw a £10 camera in Aldi, you might want to try something like this just so you understand the issues.

These are sites I have found to be good, the last one seems to be some sort of retailer.

http://ipcamtalk.com
    http://www.cctvforum.com
    https://www.forum.use-ip.co.uk/
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Molly4
    Good Afternoon

I have now purchased two cameras from Lidl at a very reasonable price. Possibly similar to EdwardB's recommendation for the Aldi camera. These will get me started.

Can any one recommend a recording device please? As previously stated I want to end up with an 8 camera set up. If these cheap cameras are any good then I will buy more. Whilst I mentioned recording sound this is not the most important factor at present.

I have a spare laptop I could use as a recording device but this would be onto disc so I would end up with hundreds of discs and I don't know how to set the laptop up to record what I want. Is there a hard drive recorder that activates and records only when there is movement? Or is that a feature only installed in a camera itself? I don't want to have to wade through hours, days worth of footage just to find there is nothing untoward captured.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport