MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Comments

• @perky_v
    A very similar thing happened in February when BG won the last collective deal from MSE. Seems like some companies never learn lessons.
  • I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't switched. I was very happy with Eon's customer service and online account and seriously thought about staying with them and paying for a higher tariff just because of this. So far I've tried 3 times to submit my meter readings online with BG and 3 times I've had emails asking me to do it again (one addresssed to Dear None). Finally I thought I would use the 24 hour telephone service to do it only to go through all the security and be told that I can't do it that way either as their offices are closed. I don't think British Gas and myself will have a very long relationship!
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't switched. I was very happy with Eon's customer service and online account and seriously thought about staying with them and paying for a higher tariff just because of this. So far I've tried 3 times to submit my meter readings online with BG and 3 times I've had emails asking me to do it again (one addresssed to Dear None). Finally I thought I would use the 24 hour telephone service to do it only to go through all the security and be told that I can't do it that way either as their offices are closed. I don't think British Gas and myself will have a very long relationship!

CEC :

I've changed my mind, how do i cancel my switch?

If you change your mind after requesting the switch, you'll have a cooling-off period of 14 days in which to stop it going through.

You'll need to contact the supplier you're switching to directly to do this (contact details are at the bottom of this page). It can take up to two days for your new supplier to add your details to its systems, so wait this long before contacting it.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't switched. I was very happy with Eon's customer service and online account and seriously thought about staying with them and paying for a higher tariff just because of this. So far I've tried 3 times to submit my meter readings online with BG and 3 times I've had emails asking me to do it again (one addresssed to Dear None). Finally I thought I would use the 24 hour telephone service to do it only to go through all the security and be told that I can't do it that way either as their offices are closed. I don't think British Gas and myself will have a very long relationship!

I too have had multiple emails for metre readings even though I have resubmitted them each time, either via laptop or tablet app. (I used the same readings to avoid any confusion - these were taken on due day of switch, 3 Oct). I have even received a satisfaction survey email to complete of how my switch went! I have not even been notified that I actually have an account with BG. I spoke to an adviser last week who confirmed they have the readings who said the system is 'behind'.....

Does not inspire confidence....
    “Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.”
  • bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 631
    Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I too have had multiple emails for metre readings even though I have resubmitted them each time, either via laptop or tablet app. (I used the same readings to avoid any confusion - these were taken on due day of switch, 3 Oct). I have even received a satisfaction survey email to complete of how my switch went! I have not even been notified that I actually have an account with BG. I spoke to an adviser last week who confirmed they have the readings who said the system is 'behind'.....

Does not inspire confidence....

I had this problem when I switched in Feb. It appears the emails are automatically generated and it was sorted after I spoke to them. No problems this time because I have a Smart Metre.
  • I too have had similar problems switching from E.ON to British Gas. When I log on to my new account I keep on getting asked for my opening readings despite inputting them numerous times both online and over the phone. One BG person said, and I quote "I wouldn't worry about it if I was you" Unbelievable reassurance from their customer service!
  • The British Gas website accepted my opening meter readings but then another email arrived saying it hadn't. I am switching from E.on to BG. BG's phone system not accepting meter readings either. I eventually spoke to someone who started all over again. What a pain.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Sainsbury energy switch: I now have an online account that thinks I have no services with them, an electricity reading submitted through their main website because my online account doesn't think I have electricity through them and a gas switch that has been delayed three times already!

I thought using the MSE energy club to switch was meant to be easy!!!

In the mean time my eon tariff (from last year's switch) will finish its fixed rate and I will be paying over the odds.
    :angry:
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • JC383
    JC383 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Same here regarding entering meter readings, have received 2 emails asking for meter readings even though I'd submitted them on receiving the first. Logged onto the website and it states it requires an initial meter reading and even when you re-enter the numbers it doesn't update.

BG need to up their game.
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 11 October 2016 at 9:41AM
    I just got off the phone with BG as I noticed this morning that the electricity service had disappeared off my account. The lady at BG confirmed that both fuel were still being switched but that I had not provided any first readings which I had via the online service. She was adamant that I needed to phone them though so I gave her the historical readings for the switch date.

She then transferred me to IT support to discuss the missing electricity service. That lady there said that the account registration process had been triggered too early and recommended that we should stay off the online and app service until we get an email saying the setup was complete and providing us with our customer number starting with "8".

She also checked the database and the online readings that I had provided online were actually there so all is ready to go.

Apparently the reading window is open until the 13th Oct and that true account activation will occur shortly after that.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family