Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    andygb wrote: »
    It has got to the point, that we never eat out any more, because very often the food is overpriced and lacks quality.
    Welcome to my world!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, Jamie Oliver and quite a lot of other top chefs - plus myself of course, would politely disagree with you.;)

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak/

I have been cooking steak for over thirty years, and in the past have ordered steak in many restaurants and been underwhelmed, with chewy, underseasoned, dry meat.
    It has got to the point, that we never eat out any more, because very often the food is overpriced and lacks quality.

I went out for a meal on Saturday, i had a rib eye steak. It was fantastic, melted in my mouth, tasted amazing, was incredibly tender. There are still restaurants who serve excellent food, yes it's not cheap, and would probably be a quarter of the price to buy from Aldi and cook myself but sometimes, it's nice to treat yourself ! We also regularly visit a local pub for Sunday lunch, excellent value for money for their carvery, it's a shame you choose to not eat out anymore, there are still good places around.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    I usually cook everything from scratch and bar fish&chips you won't find many ready meals in my freezer. OH has discovered The Lidl "chef select" curries from the chiller when I was away and we tried another variety last night as I'd been not well enough to cook. Lile the Chicken Jalfrezi, the Korma was very nice indeed, the perfect amount for one person and a good ingredients list. We still have the Thai Curry to try. Some folks posted that Aldi also sells something similar, has anyone compared them yet?
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    quoia wrote: »
    SNAP ! :D

I can tell the difference and actually prefer Cauli leaves to most if not all cabbages.

so do my chickens :rotfl: I think cauli is sweeter than other cabbages and a shame to just chuck into the bin. I also eat radish leaves if I can get hold of a big white one without them been chopped off...
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    New product at Aldi:-

Passions Deli Pea Snacks (21g) - Sweet Chilli or Salt & Vinegar flavours.

These are snacks made from dried peas (with lots of other stuff including rice flour thrown in). Quite tasty, and they claim to be baked, not fried. 39p, which is not bad for a gluten-free snack.

What they're not (despite appearances) is whole fried pea pods (would that work?)
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Well, Jamie Oliver and quite a lot of other top chefs - plus myself of course, would politely disagree with you.;)

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak/

I have been cooking steak for over thirty years, and in the past have ordered steak in many restaurants and been underwhelmed, with chewy, underseasoned, dry meat.

I completely agree! For the limited amount of time a steak will ever be on my grill pan, I don't need to worry about salt absorbing any moisture from the meat!

It's very rare I even order steak in restaurants these days as I can produce a far superior meal at home for a fraction of the price - £3.79 vs £23 - ermmm hello! lol
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    I went out for a meal on Saturday, i had a rib eye steak. It was fantastic, melted in my mouth, tasted amazing, was incredibly tender. There are still restaurants who serve excellent food, yes it's not cheap, and would probably be a quarter of the price to buy from Aldi and cook myself but sometimes, it's nice to treat yourself ! We also regularly visit a local pub for Sunday lunch, excellent value for money for their carvery, it's a shame you choose to not eat out anymore, there are still good places around.

But why would you go out and spend 4/5x the cost of a meal that you can produce to a higher standard yourself? It's not as if cooking a Sunday roast or steak dinner is arduous.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    But why would you go out and spend 4/5x the cost of a meal that you can produce to a higher standard yourself? It's not as if cooking a Sunday roast or steak dinner is arduous.
    Eating out is still a treat for many people: I could understand this in the era of meat-and-two veg, but these days what's available in the supermarket is far more interesting.

When you've had as many sub-standard meals out as I have, you just don't bother! Veggie food seems a puzzle to many "chefs" and is not that expensive to DIY with good results.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Eating out is still a treat for many people: I could understand this in the era of meat-and-two veg, but these days what's available in the supermarket is far more interesting.

When you've had as many sub-standard meals out as I have, you just don't bother! Veggie food seems a puzzle to many "chefs" and is not that expensive to DIY with good results.

Eating out for me now is a junk meal treat, a kebab or kfc or maybe a breakfast

Given up paying good money for a mediocre meal
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've just come back from France and almost every type and aspect of food there is more expensive than here. Ironically, it IS the small, independent restaurants there that offer the best VFM compared to here, where so much of that price level is dominated by chains, now.

But the UK does cheap food much better than France (maybe because the French are not interested cheap food?) As the French have taken more and more to takeaway/fast food, it has not resulted in a price reduction due to economies of scale. As an example, a BigMac meal costs 7.50 Euros, about £6.30, compared to £4.20-30 across most of the UK. Bizarrely, a McFlurry costs over 3 Euros, compared to IIRC £1.09, here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure