Help our garden is flooded!!

Hello,

I really need some advice on what to do next.

Over this summer (starting being of July) we started noticing water pooling in the border in our garden, we put it down to it being a wet summer and it was just rainwater. We do have very clay like soil. However, it got progressively worse and by August we had water spilling onto the pavement outside our house. So we called our insurance company in case of a burst pipe.

The investigators came out and drained away the water but couldn't find a leak. They called Scottish Water who took a sample of the water as the border filled up again within an hour. Our insurance said that they suspected a leak within our neighbours property but wanted to wait for the sample to come back.

After 3 weeks, Scottish Water advised that it was groundwater. However, by this point the Environmental Health dept of the council was involved as the water was now spilling out our street and down the road. They also took a sample and their result came back as 'mains water' which indicated there is a burst pipe somewhere. I've contacted Scottish Water again who decided they wanted another sample which came back today as again groundwater. So we're back to square one again!

I've had quotes from gardeners to put in drainage (and to monoblock which we did want to eventually do) but I don't want to spend any money until I know that its definately not a burst pipe. I know that we are liable for any pipes in our garden I just want to make sure that this gets fixed as I'm worried about someone falling outside especially if it gets icy. On a side note, the water never goes down and is always running out into the street and down a drain about 30 metres away. Is there anything else that we should look at before going ahead with the garden work?

Thank you!

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Is there anything else that we should look at before going ahead with the garden work?
    Where would you envisage any land drain draining to?

It shouldn't go into the sewers, so is there somewhere the run-off could be sent, other than the road? As you realise, this will soon become unacceptable in winter weather.
  • Does the water rise to the surface constantly, or only during periods of wet weather?

It sounds like a significant amount of water, so my guess is it is either from a water supply pipe (though Scottish Water's sample results indicate otherwise) or groundwater from a damaged field/tile drain. It would be worth considering doing a trial excavation in the area where the problem is most noticeable. Water supply pipes are usually at a depth of 2.5-3 feet and field/tile drains generally aren't any deeper than about 18 inches. I've dealt with many similar problems that turned out to be damaged field drains.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure