Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• I had to cancel a flight off my booking of 3 people that I had booked through TRAVEL REPUBLIC who are ATOL protected so no concerns there, but the flight i cancelled was cancelled on my ATOL certificate and I was given a credit note for a flight refund from Monarch against a future booking, Travel Republic have taken the full amount for all 3 flights can all 3 be refunded ot just the 2 on my ATOL certificate, and can I claim the money off my credit note anywhere ?
  • I booked a Monarch package (flights and accommodation) direct with Monarch and paid £2.50 each for Atol protection (detailed on my invoice). They did not send me the certificate, will this cause a problem when trying to claim a refund?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    LilNic wrote: »
    31st would be OK. Anywhere in the UK Richard things are that desperate! Our local airports are Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff but would seriously consider others if it means we don't lose the holiday.

Where in Portugal do you want to fly from?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • richardw
    Forumite
    I booked a Monarch package (flights and accommodation) direct with Monarch and paid £2.50 each for Atol protection (detailed on my invoice). They did not send me the certificate, will this cause a problem when trying to claim a refund?

Was there a certificate reference number or similar on the invoice?
  • No, just a section that has been completed to say they charged £2.50 per person. I am worried this will affect me simply because they failed to attach the document.
  • Sorry need flight from Faro Richard
  • I booked Monarch flights through lastminute.com in June. Last minute have emailed me and said I should write to airline administrators - KMPG and have given me their address, whilst the other advice I've read is to go through the bank and use charge back to reclaim the lost money? Which do you think is the best way to go about this?

Also - I made two payments - one from a UK bank and another from a bank abroad - do I go about asking them to use charge back in the same way I would for a UK bank?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    utigers wrote: »
    Hi I've booked Tenerife next year with Last minute and go with Easy Jet but did return with Monarch.

I've got Holiday insurance with Holiday Safe and have end supplier failure/Force Majeure upto 3k....would they pay out on both the flights or just the Monarch one?

Likely to be just the Monarch flight as your EasyJet flight is still operating.

When looking for a replacement flight it is always worth searching for return flights as they can sometimes work out cheaper than a single. If you do this remember that you need to take the outbound for the inbound to be valid.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • richardw
    Forumite
    edited 3 October 2017 at 3:20PM
    LilNic wrote: »
    Sorry need flight from Faro Richard

Ryanair have

Ryanair FR7035
    2h 55
    16:05 FAO Faro
    19:00 DUB Dublin

2h 25 Connect in airport

Ryanair FR668
    1h 05
    21:25 DUB Dublin
    22:30 BHX Birmingham

Tue 31st Oct from £141 excl add ons.

This is a self transfer at Dublin

What's a self-transfer?
    On this flight, you may need to check in separately for each connecting flight. Make sure you have enough time.
    You may need to collect hold bags and check them in again for the next flight.
    You must pass through security and passport control during each connection and you will need a visa if your connection is in a country that requires one.

This is not through ticketing and if the flight from Faro to Dublin is delayed or cancelled, you'd miss the flight from Dublin to BHX. It's Ryanair so there are risks.

Also look at air Portugal FAO-LIS-LHR on the 31st Oct.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Hello! We booked Monarch outbound and return flights and only discovered on the way to the airport that they had been cancelled. We made the very quick decision to buy alternative flights so that we wouldn't lose the rest of our holiday costs. Can anyone help with the following questions?

Are the CAA providing free replacement flights for customers who had monarch outbound and flights - but flew out on an alternative after the news on 2nd October?

And if so, can we do anything to get money back on the insanely expensive replacement Easy jet return flight that we bought in a panic?! We are past the 24 hour cancellation window - do they provide credit vouchers?

Thank you for your help.

CAA are only providing flights to rescue people and bring them home, they are not replacing outgoing holiday flights.

Depending on your ATOL protection/ how you paid/ insurance cover you may well get the cost of the original Monarch flights back.

The "insanely expensive" replacement flights won't be refunded.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure